Job dilemma.... (now with Poll)

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
Without getting into too many details...

-Current job pays a little over 50K...

-Got a solid job offer for 65K at another smaller company working with a prototype system, but job is much more demanding and challenging but with good potential upside (in other words, becomming THE MAIN GURU) and equally risky downside if I can't make the thing sit up and sing.

-Current company countered with 9% immediate raise and a promotion on my annual (in 4 months) review with another 6% raise tacked on brining base salary up to about 59K by next Feb.

Did I mention that I love where I work, what I do, and the people I work with?? It's a good company. This other place I've heard is very project oriented and has been known to drive their people into the ground to meet a deadline. But a friend of mine who's worked there for a year says that has not been his experience so far.

Gaurenteed security with current company. Questionable security depending on my abilities to meet the new job's challenges and be good at it (I feel pretty good about my ablilities given the skillsets required).

Benefits packages are comparable...

Stick with the current company or move on?

A simple comparison between the two would be kind of like the difference between trading stocks (new company) or bonds (current company)..

I have a baby on the way and could use the extra cash, but the stability X factor scares me a bit.

What would you do??

JR..

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Just depends on what type of person you are. Some people coudln't deal with not being challenged at work while others are afraid of the risks. This is a decision only you can make. Do you have a family?

EDIT: Unless I was positively set and could go without a job for say a year, I wouldn't take it. I really like coming into work late, leave early and being able to carry pleasant conversations with my coworkers. A hard job with good people is ok, but a hard job with jerks/assholes just isn't worth the pay for me.

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
well the current company is already offering more $$...and its only 5k less than what you would be making....stick with the current place

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
Just depends on what type of person you are. Some people coudln't deal with not being challenged at work while others are afraid of the risks. This is a decision only you can make. Do you have a family?

Yes indeed, wife and two kids with #3 on the way.

Rapidskies

Golden Member
May 27, 2003
Less stress is well worth 5k in this day and age. You will have enough going on (new baby) without throwing a potentially more stressful job into the mix. Good Luck!

Sep 29, 2004
Find a job you enjoy. The money will come with time.

Sounds like you already have a job you like.

How is hte job security at your current empoyer? If it's fairly secure, I'd just stay there and not even bother looking elsewhere.

archiloco

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2004
may not be the right time to move companies, with baby on way, but the other job sounds like you could potentialy get a much better opportunities after you finish the project.

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999
Since you got a wife, 2 kids with a third on the way, do you think you need the extra stress on the new job in your life?

Stay.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Kwaipie
happy working environment > $5000

Agreed. Your current company has shown that they truly want to keep you... this isn't one of those token "we can say we tried" raises. You've got a place that you love working and that really wants you around. I wouldn't trade that in for $5000.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: JoLLyRoGer
Without getting into too many details...

-Current job pays a little over 50K...

-Got a solid job offer for 65K at another smaller company working with a prototype system, but job is much more demanding and challenging but with good potential upside (in other words, becomming THE MAIN GURU) and equally risky downside if I can't make the thing sit up and sing.

-Current company countered with 9% immediate raise and a promotion on my annual (in 4 months) review with another 6% raise tacked on brining base salary up to about 59K by next Feb.

Did I mention that I love where I work, what I do, and the people I work with?? It's a good company. This other place I've heard is very project oriented and has been known to drive their people into the ground to meet a deadline. But a friend of mine who's worked there for a year says that has not been his experience so far.

Gaurenteed security with current company. Questionable security depending on my abilities to meet the new job's challenges and be good at it (I feel pretty good about my ablilities given the skillsets required).

Benefits packages are comparable...

Stick with the current company or move on?

A simple comparison between the two would be kind of like the difference between trading stocks (new company) or bonds (current company)..

I have a baby on the way and could use the extra cash, but the stability X factor scares me a bit.

What would you do??

JR..

If you find a job like that and it happens to pay less you stay put. Its never worth a few bucks more to take a job you hate, hate the people, and the company suck balls making you go home wanting to kill everyone from a crappy day. Your lucky to have that, I personally wouldnt ruin a good thing as that, and to boot the are giving you the raise too. STAY PUT!