Jittery U.S. Soldiers Kill 6 Iraqis

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pickel

Jul 29, 2003
"You'd murder innocent civilians because your buddies are being mowed down while in Iraq due to Bush's lies.

That is just classic. And we call ourselves the good guys. Just classic"

When I was in the Navy and over in Lebenon in 1963, we lost 3 of our own to Lebonese underground groups, while they were on liberty. I have no love for ANY country but the good ole USA and could care less about trhe rest of the planet. I agree GW phucked up and got us into some deep schitt. But the man who has to endure the front line with no idea who the hell is who, little kids with school packs they could easily be a be a bomb or some bio or chemical agent, my friends and comrades being wasted for the oil companies and the munitions companies. You're damn right I'd shot first and let Allah sort them out. I'd probably be given a medal or a court martial by now. I know one thing for sure, I'd need a new barrel for my M14. Damn right

Sarcasticor

Banned
Aug 9, 2003
Originally posted by: Matt2
Foolish people.

Those Iraqis were killed on accident.

US soldiers did shoot to kill, that is established.

What makes this an accident, was the fact that the IRaqi civilians were not positively identified. They were mistaken for people trying to run the checkpoints.

The soldiers didnt say "here come some innocent civilians, 20 bucks says I can popthe drivers head off in one shot".

The assumption this was not an accident is absurd.

Anwaar Kawaz, 36, lost her husband and three of four children. "We kept shouting, 'We're a family! Don't shoot!' But no one listened. They kept shooting," she told The Associated Press. She's expecting another child this month.

While i feel for this lady, I really do, this quote is nothing but propaganda intended to make the soldiers sound like heartless, mindless killers, out to decimate a family for fun.

Does she, or any of you really expect the sodiers to hear that over the roar of M16s and other machine guns?

If the soldiers can't do their job properly, they don't belong there. You cannot just start shooting at people because they COULD BE enemies.

Ooops, i shot your mom, but it was an accident, i thought she was OBL (not that she looks like him, but i couldn't identify her with absolute certainty, so i thought, better safe than sorry), so i am innocent and shoud actually be rewarded.

Sarcasticor

Banned
Aug 9, 2003
Originally posted by: pickel
"You'd murder innocent civilians because your buddies are being mowed down while in Iraq due to Bush's lies.

That is just classic. And we call ourselves the good guys. Just classic"

When I was in the Navy and over in Lebenon in 1963, we lost 3 of our own to Lebonese underground groups, while they were on liberty. I have no love for ANY country but the good ole USA and could care less about trhe rest of the planet. I agree GW phucked up and got us into some deep schitt. But the man who has to endure the front line with no idea who the hell is who, little kids with school packs they could easily be a be a bomb or some bio or chemical agent, my friends and comrades being wasted for the oil companies and the munitions companies. You're damn right I'd shot first and let Allah sort them out. I'd probably be given a medal or a court martial by now. I know one thing for sure, I'd need a new barrel for my M14. Damn right

What were you doing in Lebanon in 63?

wirelessenabled

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Czar
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030810/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_a_deadly_night&cid=540&ncid=1480

When asked about Friday's shootings, Lt. Col. Guy Shields, coalition military spokesman, said, "Our checkpoints are usually marked and our soldiers are trained and disciplined. I will check on that. That is serious."

Gotta love this spokesman. Must be a different Army than the one that trashed Bagdad Airport to the tune of $500 mil including 5 flyable airplanes with windows smashed out, seats slashed, cockpits shot up, because the soldiers were bored being cooped up in the airport. Where are the court martials for that?

pickel

Jul 29, 2003
"What were you doing in Lebanon in 63? "

That was one of the ports of call on our Med cruise with the 7th fleet. Nobody was informed of the loss of life until we were back at sea about a week later. There would have a house cleaning if the guys found out while we still in port. It was a whole different Navy back then.

Sarcasticor

Banned
Aug 9, 2003

That was one of the ports of call on our Med cruise with the 7th fleet. Nobody was informed of the loss of life until we were back at sea about a week later. There would have a house cleaning if the guys found out while we still in port. It was a whole different Navy back then.

I don't get it, nobody noticed that they were gone, boxed and brought onto the ship?

The 7th fleet in 63, what ship and when in 63?

Sarcasticor

Banned
Aug 9, 2003
Originally posted by: wirelessenabled
Originally posted by: Czar
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030810/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_a_deadly_night&cid=540&ncid=1480

When asked about Friday's shootings, Lt. Col. Guy Shields, coalition military spokesman, said, "Our checkpoints are usually marked and our soldiers are trained and disciplined. I will check on that. That is serious."

Gotta love this spokesman. Must be a different Army than the one that trashed Bagdad Airport to the tune of $500 mil including 5 flyable airplanes with windows smashed out, seats slashed, cockpits shot up, because the soldiers were bored being cooped up in the airport. Where are the court martials for that?

The truth is that MOST soldiers are trained and disciplined, the few rotten ones are the ones you hear about.

This could be handled better though, if you are going to make a big media affair out of a war and invite media to watch what is happening you have to follow up in public too.

That said, the soldiers who did that in Baghdad should be discharged (if found guilty) and definently removed asap, there is no room for morons when they got guns in their hands.

pickel

Jul 29, 2003
The ships company weren't notified. The Captain and the brass knew and the dept heads obviously carried them missing or AWOL, I reckon.
CVA 62 USS Indepedance

But we could kick A$$ on the Enterprise..ANYDAY. But , being the first nuke and flagship of the fleet, we always got second billing and pissed off so much we strived to be the best and we were.

I believe it was late August 1963. We mostly hung around the USO and stayed around the downtown area ( Bars and Brothels ) The dudes that were killed ventured off into other parts of town. Two enlisted one officer. They should had a gang with them. :(

Antoneo

Diamond Member
May 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Sarcasticor

I don't get it, nobody noticed that they were gone, boxed and brought onto the ship?

The 7th fleet in 63, what ship and when in 63?
I assume that you were in the armed forces for a bit? Sure doesn't sound like it...