JIFFY LUBE messed up on my sister's car.. is this okay?

Kenji4861

Banned
Jan 28, 2001
So, I get a phone call and my sister tells me that after taking the car to Jiffy Lube.. smoke or steam is coming out of the hood.

I call Jiffy Lube regarding this and they say

Jiffy Lube - "ohh. yea, it's just water... oil spilled on the engine so we just washed it with water.. what you're seeing the water evaporating"
Me - "What? this can't be normal, I want to bring it back"
Jiffy Lube - "uhh.. sure, we'll wipe it up with a rag, it's completely normal"
Me - "ok.. I'll wipe it up myself" (didn't want to waste my time bringing it back)

The oil looks like it spilled everywhere.. I see it everywhere under the hood.. Is this safe? What can I do? Obviously the worker or manager is not gonna care.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's perfectly safe. It will just burn off.

As long as it's not pouring out smoke and what is coming out is white, you're making a mountain out of nothing. It's very difficult to do an oil change without making a little bit of a mess.

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
Talk to the manager and ask for a nice discount coupon or have them clean the engine. Make sure enough oil was put into the car too.

Kenji4861

Banned
Jan 28, 2001
Originally posted by: TerryMathews

As long as it's not pouring out smoke and what is coming out is white, you're making a mountain out of nothing. It's very difficult to do an oil change without making a little bit of a mess.

Cool, thanks for the info. Feel a bit embarrassed now

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Kenji4861

There is no excuse for getting oil all over inside the engine bay. Especially a business that is paid to change your oil. How the hell would you manage that?

You'd almost have to start the engine without the oil filter on, or something.

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
The only thing that might even spill some oil is removal of the filter. Even then, a few careful paper towel placements will minimize the mess. If there is more oil than that, then somethings wrong. Like previoulsy mentioned, it should burn off with some time, however it may create a mess in the engine like stick residue or stains. Try and get them to clean it, or just clean it yourself with some foamy engine brite (make sure you use foil to cover the electrical connections from water).

xchangx

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
That's kind of strange... Don't they put oil in with a pump? Even if they don't there shouldn't be that much oil on your engine. I would talk to the manager and ask for a partial refund.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
uhm, you don't wash oil with water.
Sure you do... if it's heated and under pressure.. lol

Lvis

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
It can be a fire hazard, if it gets on the exhaust manifold. I wouldn't be very happy if they did it to me.

C'DaleRider

Jan 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Eli

There is no excuse for getting oil all over inside the engine bay. Especially a business that is paid to change your oil. How the hell would you manage that?

Since Jiffy Lube, like most other large shops, use a bulk feeder system that has the amount to dispense set on a dial on the hose, or a bulk feeder to fill a 5 qt. canister, and then put the oil into the engine, all it'd take is someone slipping while it's being drained into the oil-fill hole on the engine and the oil would splash all over the engine bay. Most probably the "technician" put the feeder hose or the can's hose into the oil-fill hole, started it dumping the oil and walked off to do something else but the hose wasn't in the hole well and it became dislodged......and dumped the 4-5 qts all over the engine.

It happens.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: C'DaleRider
Originally posted by: Eli

Since Jiffy Lube, like most other large shops, use a bulk feeder system that has the amount to dispense set on a dial on the hose, or a bulk feeder to fill a 5 qt. canister, and then put the oil into the engine, all it'd take is someone slipping while it's being drained into the oil-fill hole on the engine and the oil would splash all over the engine bay. Most probably the "technician" put the feeder hose or the can's hose into the oil-fill hole, started it dumping the oil and walked off to do something else but the hose wasn't in the hole well and it became dislodged......and dumped the 4-5 qts all over the engine.

It happens.
Yeah. I can understand that, I guess. But my point is that they should be a little more open and honest about what happened, instead of letting her freak out because of the smoke like she did.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
I'd absolutely insist that the engine be properly steam cleaned. No spray cans of crap.

That oil will stink for months. :|

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Originally posted by: L vis
It can be a fire hazard, if it gets on the exhaust manifold. I wouldn't be very happy if they did it to me.

Exactly. I'd clean it up very well so you don't have an engine bay fire.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
As long as they didn't get any water where it shouldn't be (i.e. if they left the oil cap off while washing) then it's perfectly fine

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Jumpem

I did that to my first car ('86 Lebaron TURBO!!!) The oil started on fire and melted one of my hoses. That car never did smell right again.

TheAudit

Diamond Member
May 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Jumpem

Yeah, it has to be cleaned or it could start a fire.
Seems like they spilled a lot more than a little oil if it was steaming up all over the place.

Busie23

Jan 24, 2001
I would definitely take it back to them and have them either clean it up, or reimburse you for a cleaning. It is supposed to be a professional business, and professionals don't do a job and leave a big mess.

On a side note my girlfriend took her car there and before she left they told her that they had to put some special screw in the pan because the threads were stripped. They said it would be ok, but if she noticed any oil spots to bring it back.

The guy also told her that if she takes it to a dealer to get the oil changed they will tell her that her oil pan needs replaced and that someone did a shody job on the last oil change, etc. But, if she goes to anyother oil change place they will know what was done because it is kind of standard practice?

is this a common thing?

bleeb

Lifer
Feb 3, 2000
You have to observe those bastards doing the oil change... sometimes they don't do it.

Cat

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Everyone says Jiffy Lube is a horrible place, but are there any good alternatives?