Jewish Boy beaten near Paris France

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Do you even know what point I was trying to make? Maybe we can start there. You probably have a strawman in mind.

I'm going to interject here for a moment to clear something up. Support for OBL doesn't necessarily equate to extremism because many people in the Islamic world think 911 was a hoax of the Bush administration. They don't think OBL was a terrorist, just an anti-US firebrand. If you look at the poll detail, about half that many or 10% support "suicide bombing" which logically would be the same number as OBL support if they believed he pulled off 911.

It's debatable what is meant by extremism. Believing 911 was a hoax may be its own form of extremism. However, I think the 10% support for suicide bombing is a safer number for the kind of violent "extremism" we're talking about here.

Your point in refuting LL of course remains. Then again, refuting LL isn't exactly the greatest rhetorical challenge known to man.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
It's debatable what is meant by extremism. Believing 911 was a hoax may be its own form of extremism. However, I think the 10% support for suicide bombing is a safer number for the kind of violent "extremism" we're talking about here.

Your point in refuting LL of course remains. Then again, refuting LL isn't exactly the greatest rhetorical challenge known to man.

The other polls that indicate millions of Muslims support attack on civilians suggests to me that many would be comfortable with the idea that 9/11 originated in the Muslim world. And yes, the fact that so many think it's a hoax is a sign of extremism in my mind.

It's the kind of obvious problem in Muslim societies that posters like LL and Original Earl simply refuse to even accept. Instead of talking about ways in which the problem could be addressed, they constantly resort to equivocation ("Jews are just as bad"), ad hominem ("You are a bigot"), or straw men ("You are saying that all muslims are terrorists.")

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
The other polls that indicate millions of Muslims support attack on civilians suggests to me that many would be comfortable with the idea that 9/11 originated in the Muslim world. And yes, the fact that so many think it's a hoax is a sign of extremism in my mind.

It's the kind of obvious problem in Muslim societies that posters like LL and Original Earl simply refuse to even accept. Instead of talking about ways in which the problem could be addressed, they constantly resort to equivocation ("Jews are just as bad"), ad hominem ("You are a bigot"), or straw men ("You are saying that all muslims are terrorists.")

I recognize that the whole thing is a lot more complex then showing how many Muslims have confidence in certain leaders
You have to admit that 0% of Muslims in Indonesia now have any confidence in OBL, but does that mean there are no extremists there?
No
Cultures play a very big part in how Islam is interpreted in different countries
Top Mulia's in Indonesia have now recognized homosexuality, but that is not going to stop a group in Iran.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
I recognize that the whole thing is a lot more complex then showing how many Muslims have confidence in certain leaders
You have to admit that 0% of Muslims in Indonesia now have any confidence in OBL, but does that mean there are no extremists there?
No
Cultures play a very big part in how Islam is interpreted in different countries
Top Mulia's in Indonesia have now recognized homosexuality, but that is not going to stop a group in Iran.

I think the trouble here Earl is that you are not understanding the reason Infohawk cited those polls and statistics. You view it as more of a broadside on Islamic culture when in fact his entire purpose was to refute one specific sentence written by Lemon Law, which is this:

When it comes to adult nuts, there are as many extremist Israeli nuts as their are Muslims.

His citing of the polls is probably good enough to refute the point, though I think it is such an extraordinary claim as to be self-refuting without its proponent offering evidence to back it up. There are about 7 million Israelis in the world, and about a billion Muslims. The odds of LL's assertion being correct are slim to none.

Your comments above might be more valid if Infohawk was arguing the position you seem to think he's arguing, but he isn't. Infohawk does make arguments more generally critical of Islam in other threads, but that was not his purpose here.

- wolf

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
I think the trouble here Earl is that you are not understanding the reason Infohawk cited those polls and statistics. You view it as more of a broadside on Islamic culture when in fact his entire purpose was to refute one specific sentence written by Lemon Law, which is this:

His citing of the polls is probably good enough to refute the point, though I think it is such an extraordinary claim as to be self-refuting without its proponent offering evidence to back it up. There are about 7 million Israelis in the world, and about a billion Muslims. The odds of LL's assertion being correct are slim to none.

Your comments above might be more valid if Infohawk was arguing the position you seem to think he's arguing, but he isn't. Infohawk does make arguments more generally critical of Islam in other threads, but that was not his purpose here.

- wolf

I can agree with that