The Jussie Smollett Affair

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Kind of an interesting discussion here given that only a tiny minuscule percentage of crimes are ever captured on video and that, if the racial roles in this narrative were reversed, the same posters demanding video evidence here would instead be starting threads about 'black violence in Chicago' without requiring any evidence at all.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
It’s not simply that people are demanding it be seen on film which isn’t realistic. But if every bit of his journey except for the minute where he was supposedly attached was caught on film and then somehow ninjas jumped in from nowhere, recognized him in the middle of the night enough to call out his name and the show he’s on and his sexual orientation, beat him up, put a noose on his neck, yell this is MAGA Country!, and then disappear without a trace all within one minute then yeah people are going to be rightfully skeptical. It’s dishonest to say that they are just demanding video evidence.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
And so many people got all in a bunch because I said these racist incidents turned out to be fake a lot of times, one happens, and lol it’s looking a lot like I’m right again. Like I said my body is ready, about to climax. Don’t rush it though Chicago PD, I want y’all to exhaust the hell out of this search first. :D

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000

I don’t give a lot of weight to a couple of people’s opinion but this was interesting.

Last week, The Post traced Smollett’s likely route to the underpass from a 24-hour Subway sandwich shop where he bought a tuna sandwich and a salad.

Near the foot of a stairwell to the Loews, The Post found an empty hot sauce bottle that was partially filled with a clear liquid that smelled like bleach.

The Post alerted police, who seized the bottle. Guglielmi said it was turned over to the FBI for analysis.

The FBI declined to comment

Nov 8, 2012
I don’t give a lot of weight to a couple of people’s opinion but this was interesting.

I think the biggest problem isn't so much evidence at the scene, but rather seeing ANY camera from ANY angle of them running away as perceived by the reporting.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
It’s not simply that people are demanding it be seen on film which isn’t realistic. But if every bit of his journey except for the minute where he was supposedly attached was caught on film and then somehow ninjas jumped in from nowhere, recognized him in the middle of the night enough to call out his name and the show he’s on and his sexual orientation, beat him up, put a noose on his neck, yell this is MAGA Country!, and then disappear without a trace all within one minute then yeah people are going to be rightfully skeptical. It’s dishonest to say that they are just demanding video evidence.

I may have missed something, but why do you think this alleged attack had to have been spur of the moment, as opposed to something planned which would likely have involved stalking him beforehand?

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
I may have missed something, but why do you think this alleged attack had to have been spur of the moment, as opposed to something planned which would likely have involved stalking him beforehand?

Because two people aren’t going to be waiting outside in minus 40 degree weather at 2 in the morning hoping Jussie got hungry and left his apartment.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
This actor is not Jewish. He's black. Also, I don't believe this story. I think its all made up.

Nov 8, 2012
This actor is not Jewish. He's black. Also, I don't believe this story. I think its all made up.

Congrats. You have half a brain. It's sad that so many here don't and that I had to be the first in this thread to make a call-out that the bullshit-o-meter was going off the charts.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

You're exaggerating the temperature (it was around 0 degrees that day in Chicago) but nonetheless your point is a fair one. It doesn't automatically mean this wasn't premeditated, however.

Still just waiting for the police investigation to conclude before drawing conclusions. Which is what you should be doing.

Nov 8, 2012
You're exaggerating the temperature (it was around 0 degrees that day in Chicago) but nonetheless your point is a fair one. It doesn't automatically mean this wasn't premeditated, however.

Still just waiting for the police investigation to conclude before drawing conclusions. Which is what you should be doing.

At this point the police have pretty much turned all attention to the actor. He refuses to provide any evidence - and the publicity is now on the repercussions of making a false report.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
At this point the police have pretty much turned all attention to the actor. He refuses to provide any evidence - and the publicity is now on the repercussions of making a false report.

What I've recently seen is a series of articles, today, about how the cops rejected his redacted phone records. AFAIK they are still investigating his allegations.

If Smollett turns out to be lying, it's a very bad thing. He will have done as much to set back the cause against racism and homophobia as the bigots themselves. And in that case, he should burn in [metaphorical] hell. However, I'm still at the wait and see stage here.