The Jussie Smollett Affair

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
It would have made him Jewish enough for the Nazis to kill him. Maybe it matters when describing the guy in general, but when it comes to anti-Semitism I don't see that degree of pedantry is particularly relevant. (I have the impression that Israeli "Right Of Return" works that way as well, but I might be wrong.)

Look man - were just trying to figure all of this out so we can give him an official Victim Credit Score (VCS). So far he has Black and Gay. He also has bonus points for being a public media figure. We MUST make sure we have an accurate score in order to ascertain how much media outcry to give. Right now he is only ranging around a mediocre score of 785 so we need to know if he is a Jew or Jew-ish.

God knows we can't show sympathy just based on being a human.

Reactions: interchange

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
The attack in this story seems kind of bizarre for many reasons, but I don't see much reason to assume he is lying until the police can verify at least some of the details.
What if none of the details are ever verified?

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
To me it sounds like his guy got involved with the wrong people and got his arse beat and because he can’t come out and say it was over drugs or gambling or something why not blame white supremacists. The story just sounds....fishy. Dumb arses aren’t carrying around nooses and bottles of bleach lookignfor somebody to lynch I’m sorry. Hard time finding the perps on video. The bit about MAGA didn’t surface until later, why would that not have been part of the police report? He said they yelled "hey aren’t you that guy from Empire?", what noose toting racist watches empire enough to recognize an actor from it at 2 in the morn?

If it is a legit hate crime I hope justice is swift and hard, but if somehing smells fishy there usually a reason why. Guy trying to sav his career by lying about the true reason seems the much more likely scenario imo.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
To me it sounds like his guy got involved with the wrong people and got his arse beat and because he can’t come out and say it was over drugs or gambling or something why not blame white supremacists. The story just sounds....fishy. Dumb arses aren’t carrying around nooses and bottles of bleach lookignfor somebody to lynch I’m sorry. Hard time finding the perps on video. The bit about MAGA didn’t surface until later, why would that not have been part of the police report? He said they yelled "hey aren’t you that guy from Empire?", what noose toting racist watches empire enough to recognize an actor from it at 2 in the morn?

If it is a legit hate crime I hope justice is swift and hard, but if somehing smells fishy there usually a reason why. Guy trying to sav his career by lying about the true reason seems the much more likely scenario imo.
The studio did get threatening messages but he refused extra security

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Still waiting for final evidence to come in but I can predict one thing.

If proven true Trump will say nothing
If its a hoax, cheeto will spew out a Twitter tsunami.

If this attack is proven since Trump spoke up for that Texas kid you would think it warrants a mention. At least from a President representing ALL people.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
So this happened in Chicago?

It's possible some Nazis got together to act on a tip from one of their informants, on the location of a person they wanted to harm. It might sound absurd that such lengths would be taken - but we cannot rule out the possibility that the victim is telling the truth. There are certainly ways to reconcile or ignore the information we have available. I'll default my judgement to the story as we know it, until contradictory information arises.

Reactions: jameny5

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
found this

That... makes it even more confusing. "You will die Black F**". So something homophobic, but, that could be a political or non political thing. Gang culture still uses that quite a bit.

But, the artwork is... it looks like a child did it.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
That... makes it even more confusing. "You will die Black F**". So something homophobic, but, that could be a political or non political thing. Gang culture still uses that quite a bit.

But, the artwork is... it looks like a child did it.
Or could be racist homophobia politically inspired

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Or could be racist homophobia politically inspired

Sure, it could be. But, it really is a weird letter. The artwork in marker is so strange. A person took the time to cut out letters, but, spent two seconds using a red market to draw a horrible and weird picture.

There is no continuity so it seems weird. Then again, I'm not the type to do this type of thing either, so maybe its beyond my intuition.