Jewelry shopping for the GF..... Tanzanite is the rock of the day. (w/ Pic)

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
For those with experience shopping for tanzanite.... How does this sound,

Pear shaped Tanzanite pendant (roughly .3-.4 in size), 3 very small diamonds above it (in a small triangle /\ ), set in 10k white gold with a 10k white gold chain.

The store i was in (Eldridge Fine Jewelry) had it for $95, it had a VERY nice quality stone in it.

The Whitehall Jewelers across the way had a tiny one for $29 (one day sale only), but it really was tiny... So i found the larger one....

Does it seem too cheap?

Tanzanite Pendant (Sorry for the poor quality, taken with my cell)

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Geekbabe
Go with either silver or 14k gold,10k is not good enough quality wise.

There was quite a big price jump to any of them with 14k White Gold, starting round $250+

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Tanzanite is gorgeous. I had a gf who's mom had a huge one, very similar to what you described, but of course much bigger. I believe she said it was worth at least $5.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Moralpanic
Tanzanite is gorgeous. I had a gf who's mom had a huge one, very similar to what you described, but of course much bigger. I believe she said it was worth at least $5.

:)

caitlion

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2003
i think that sounds great. tanzanite is sooo pretty. :) and 10k gold is fine.. of course 14k is more actual gold, but 10k is also more durable. thats a good deal too!

on a side note, i lost one of my diamond earrings that my mom gave me for my 16th birthday today :*( im so sad...

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Tanzanite is an awesome stone. I wish more people would wear it. I found out about it while helping out at my aunt and uncle's jewelery store.

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Heed caitlion's post, not this one. Talk about shallow...it has nothing to do with quality, in fact it's probably the opposite since a 14k chain of that size would break very easily.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Thanks for the opinions thus far.... any more?

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I think it's great, for a GREAT price. I'm not saying that looks tacky, but most girls don't like pendants that are too big, but that looks good to me.

Alchemist99

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2002
Originally posted by: ThisIsMatt
Heed caitlion's post, not this one. Talk about shallow...it has nothing to do with quality, in fact it's probably the opposite since a 14k chain of that size would break very easily.

Lol, so much wrong information, for starters the fine gold content of 10k is 41.66% and 14k is 58.33 %
while technically 10k might be stronger , 14k certainly is still very durable. The style of the chain and its size it more of the determining factor when it comes to strength, and silver is certainly much less valuable than 10k gold.
Silver is around $5.35 an oz and the fine gold content value of 10k is $168.00 an oz.

If you like it buy it, $95 isn't a lot for "fine Jewelry" and it doesn't sound like your a connoisseur per say

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Alchemist99
Originally posted by: ThisIsMatt

Lol, so much wrong information, for starters the fine gold content of 10k is 41.66% and 14k is 58.33 %
while technically 10k might be stronger , 14k certainly is still very durable. The style of the chain and its size it more of the determining factor when it comes to strength, and silver is certainly much less valuable than 10k gold.
Silver is around $5.35 an oz and the fine gold content value of 10k is $168.00 an oz.

If you like it buy it, $95 isn't a lot for "fine Jewelry" and it doesn't sound like your a connoisseur per say
You're right, for some reason I was thinking 14k instead of 24k for pure gold. My mistake...school is rotting my mind :D My knock still stands, though...shallow shallow... :p

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Moralpanic
I think it's great, for a GREAT price. I'm not saying that looks tacky, but most girls don't like pendants that are too big, but that looks good to me.

Its nice when they're in a low cut dress and the pendant hangs nice and low... Damnit, so nice... I miss days when I could look at not worry about a gf smacking me in the back of the head, or kneeing me in the other.