Jet's 'illegally' simulated snap count on Sunday

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
13,941
1
0
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?...ith-video&confirm=true

OWINGS MILLS, Md. - Ravens coach Brian Billick accused the New York Jets of using an "illegal" ploy to draw Baltimore offside during Sunday's game.

Billick said Monday that the Jets' defense shouted out signals to intentionally throw off the Baltimore offense. Billick claimed the tactic led to the three illegal procedure penalties against the Ravens.

"They did an outstanding job. I credit the New York Jets. Their defensive line and linebackers did a very, very effective job of illegally simulating the snap count," Billick said. "They did it the whole game long. It needs to be caught."

Tackle Adam Terry bolted offside in the first and third quarters. Tight end Quinn Sypniewski jumped in the first quarter.

"That's not an excuse by any stretch of the imagination. But it is illegal," Billick said. "Our guys have to deal with it. I don't know how to help my linemen with that because, you're in the heat of battle and you're calling the snap count, and the guy across from you is also calling a snap count - which is illegal."

The Ravens won the game 20-13. Baltimore took a 20-3 lead into the fourth quarter but nearly wilted under a comeback by the Jets, who benefited from four fourth-quarter penalties against Baltimore.

For the game, New York received two penalties for 10 yards and the Ravens were penalized 11 times for 100 yards.

"You have to look at the nature of the penalties. First off, the fact that we had 11 penalties and they only had two and we dominated the game," Billick said. "I have a hard time understanding that the team that was playing so well and dominating had so many penalties and the other team had only two."
:roll:


This whole cheating thing is about to get out of control.

 

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
4,194
574
126
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?...ith-video&confirm=true

OWINGS MILLS, Md. - Ravens coach Brian Billick accused the New York Jets of using an "illegal" ploy to draw Baltimore offside during Sunday's game.

Billick said Monday that the Jets' defense shouted out signals to intentionally throw off the Baltimore offense. Billick claimed the tactic led to the three illegal procedure penalties against the Ravens.

"They did an outstanding job. I credit the New York Jets. Their defensive line and linebackers did a very, very effective job of illegally simulating the snap count," Billick said. "They did it the whole game long. It needs to be caught."

Tackle Adam Terry bolted offside in the first and third quarters. Tight end Quinn Sypniewski jumped in the first quarter.

"That's not an excuse by any stretch of the imagination. But it is illegal," Billick said. "Our guys have to deal with it. I don't know how to help my linemen with that because, you're in the heat of battle and you're calling the snap count, and the guy across from you is also calling a snap count - which is illegal."

The Ravens won the game 20-13. Baltimore took a 20-3 lead into the fourth quarter but nearly wilted under a comeback by the Jets, who benefited from four fourth-quarter penalties against Baltimore.

For the game, New York received two penalties for 10 yards and the Ravens were penalized 11 times for 100 yards.

"You have to look at the nature of the penalties. First off, the fact that we had 11 penalties and they only had two and we dominated the game," Billick said. "I have a hard time understanding that the team that was playing so well and dominating had so many penalties and the other team had only two."

Here we go...

if you can't win, blame the cheaters.


This is going to get out of control.
The Ravens did win :)

This is SOP for Brian Billick, and simply part of his "us against the world" motivational tool to get the defense ready to destroy the next QB.

 

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
13,941
1
0
Originally posted by: 1sikbITCH

The Ravens did win :)

This is SOP for Brian Billick, and simply part of his "us against the world" motivational tool to get the defense ready to destroy the next QB.
I amended my comments. Still, this situation strikes me as a bit ridiculous.
 

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
46,044
62
91
Uh, there is a reason that there is a penalty for this. Just like any other penalty.
 

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
19,333
2
71
Originally posted by: TallBill
Uh, there is a reason that there is a penalty for this. Just like any other penalty.
Yeah it's not legal for the defense to do so..why wasn't it called?
 

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
9,425
935
126
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Fines and take away a draft pick.
Huge difference.

This should have been flagged by the refs if it was really occuring.

What the Pats did was off the field and wasnt an act that could be flagged in a game.
 

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
34,547
651
126
Originally posted by: Wreckem
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Fines and take away a draft pick.
Huge difference.

This should have been flagged by the refs if it was really occuring.

What the Pats did was off the field and wasnt an act that could be flagged in a game.
It's called sarcasm.
 

bobert

Senior member
Dec 6, 2004
505
0
0
I don't quite understand what they were doing to "cheat." Can anyone explain what the Jets were doing?
 

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
8,475
0
76
In basketball, people intentionally foul when the time is running out to try to get the ball back in their position.. is that cheating too? I mean.. they know the penalty.. but they still do it.

 

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
22,995
775
126
Well, there's certainly lots of whining this season.

I don't quite understand what they were doing to "cheat." Can anyone explain what the Jets were doing?
The jets defense memorized the Raven's Offensive snap count and started shouting them in order to get the OL to move before the snap.
 

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
21,207
65
91
Originally posted by: bobert
I don't quite understand what they were doing to "cheat." Can anyone explain what the Jets were doing?
Someone on the defense was calling "hike" which would then make the offensive linemen think their own QB had called "hike" and they'd false start.

btw - it's usually more of a "hut"
 

AZGamer

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
1,545
0
0
Neither this or the taping were big issues - this just shows the ridiculousness of the "letter" of the rules.
 

Lorax

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2000
1,658
0
0
in other news, some linemen complained they were being held and no penalty was called.
 

nycxandy

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
3,731
0
76
Originally posted by: AZGamer
Neither this or the taping were big issues - this just shows the ridiculousness of the "letter" of the rules.
Agreed. Let's just move on.
 

Ophir

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2001
1,211
4
81
I take it you've never watched a football game before? This is a fairly common ploy and is penalized regularly by the officials. If it was really a problem, the Ravens should have alerted the officials about it. Crying about it afterward is stupid.

These things are part of the game, everyone does it, and everyone will continue to do it - from Pop Warner to the NFL. I really don't have a problem with it, everyone wants that edge. I have a problem with the gall to have a cameraman in the open and the stupidity to get caught. Either way, the issue has become way overblown and we need to move on.
 

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
5,539
0
0
I hate the "Everyone does it! Who cares?!" argument.

It's against the rules. It needs to stop. End of story.
 

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
68,145
9
81
i wish the NFL would start kicking out people who blow whistles.

its annoying to be watching then hear a whistle and wonder whats going on heh
 

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
29,933
3
81
plenty goes on in sports that is against the rules. Its all about pushing the envelope as far as you can without getting caught by the ref. Its part of the competition its part of the game. Anyone who has ever competed knows this. They will probably get caught doing this or something else during a close game and recieve a game deciding penalty.
 

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
42,591
5
0
You look for loopholes in the rules that allow you a slight advantage.
Legal until the loophole gets closed.


You break/bend the rules until you get penalized.
Illegal but done until forced to stop because the penalty for continuing is to great.
 

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
31,796
2
0
That goes on at every level of football...from PeeWee on up. It is up to the ref to throw the flag.
 

theknight571

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
2,896
2
81
Ya know.... I don't see where the issue is, either with stealing signs, or simulated snap counts.... other than the fact there's some rule that says you're not supposed to.

When I played baseball in high school, we changed our signs almost every game... different indicator, different set of touches/taps, etc.

Team A figures out all of Team B's signs... whose fault is that... Team A's... how? Team B is not being careful enough.

This is their job... not something they do on weekends for fun... make new signals, change 'em up.

I understand that there are rules and they were broken... but why are the rules there in the first place?

If the Defence can't simulate the snap count, why can they dance around the line and try to draw the offence offsides that way... to me it's the same thing... intentionally simulateing the start of the play.

I don't know.... I just can't stand to see millionaires whine about stupid sh!t.

 

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
13,941
1
0
Originally posted by: theknight571
Ya know.... I don't see where the issue is, either with stealing signs, or simulated snap counts.... other than the fact there's some rule that says you're not supposed to.

When I played baseball in high school, we changed our signs almost every game... different indicator, different set of touches/taps, etc.

Team A figures out all of Team B's signs... whose fault is that... Team A's... how? Team B is not being careful enough.

This is their job... not something they do on weekends for fun... make new signals, change 'em up.

I understand that there are rules and they were broken... but why are the rules there in the first place?

If the Defence can't simulate the snap count, why can they dance around the line and try to draw the offence offsides that way... to me it's the same thing... intentionally simulateing the start of the play.

I don't know.... I just can't stand to see millionaires whine about stupid sh!t.
I don't want to turn this conversation into a rehash of signal stealing, but it's much easier in the NFL simply because there are hundreds and hundreds of plays. Because the defense can only get that information via signal, changing them on weekly basis is really tough. Hence, the NFL should allow one defensive player to wear a microphone so the plays can just be piped right onto the field.

Like others have said, I believe what the Ravens were complaining about is illegal and they should have complained to the ref when it happened - not whined about it after the game.

Btw, can anybody actually find the rule / punishment concerning the Jets situation?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY