Jet ski question....

hpkeeper

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
I just bought a jet ski. I find that my key keeps slipping out when I'm driving. You know how there is a green starter button, and then you slip your key on the red button to keep the machine running? What is the key called that you put over it? is there a way that you can replace that key? I mean is it something that you can find on ebay? or do you have to specifically buy it from whatever company your jet ski is made by? BTW... what is that key called?

d33pt

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
just go to the dealership and get a new one.. probably worn out.. it should be cheap.. it shouldn't be TOO tight though, as it's supposed to slip off when you fall off to kill the engine.. you are attaching it to yourself right?

hpkeeper

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
yeah, I'm attaching it to myself, but I find that I get going and then all of a sudden it'll just pop off.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Is it falling off because it's attached too tightly to you? Or is it popping off on it's own?

hpkeeper

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
it's just slipping off on it's own.... but I figured out what they're called, they're called Saftey Lanyards, it says they have to be programmed, which I think is B.S. because there is no room to program anything on that. I'm concerned about the size.

Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: hpkeeper
it's just slipping off on it's own.... but I figured out what they're called, they're called Saftey Lanyards, it says they have to be programmed, which I think is B.S. because there is no room to program anything on that. I'm concerned about the size.
Yes, the do need to be programmed. That way, your key won't start other people's skis, and vice-versa.

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
well if it need to be programmed then i'm assuming that your talking about a seadoo watercraft. they are called safty lanyards or a 'ripcord'. seadoo's have a tiny little chip in the black cap that plugs into the machine, not hard to program the dealship can do it, just bring your old one in and they plug it into a laptop and program the new one.

d33pt

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
ahh i didn't know it had to be programed... i thought it was just a piece of plastic..

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
only for the seadoo lanyards, they have their dess, digitally encoded security system, they also have started to put it on their snowmobiles and maybe their atv's...

btw.. it's hard rubber ;)