Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 3380 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
why-i-go-to-the-app-store_o_442631.jpg

*(Android users substitute the word "play" for "app" as required)
And the same reason I always pay for an app, if I plan to use it regularly. I dispise adds.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Screws are better than nails but I dont wanna spend money on a fancy device like that. Guess its a power drill and a slow steady pace for me.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Screws are better than nails but I dont wanna spend money on a fancy device like that. Guess its a power drill and a slow steady pace for me.

I have no idea on the cost but it can't be that bad. Also, it's not really "fancy" per se, it is simply a power drill attachment - a long neck with a magazine. Why go slow and steady when you can go fast and steady and not have to bend over or get on your knees?

Unless it's somehow cost prohibitive (which I doubt) I'm guessing that tool has a devoted following of people who swear by it. The time and strain you can save with one is likely substantial and probably quite worth it if you are contractor/builder.

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I have no idea on the cost but it can't be that bad. Also, it's not really "fancy" per se, it is simply a power drill with a long neck and a magazine. Why go slow and steady when you can go fast and steady and not have to bend over or get on your knees?

Unless it's somehow cost prohibitive, I'm guessing that tool has a devoted following of people who swear by it. The time and strain you can save with one is likely substantial and probably quite worth it if you are contractor/builder.
Looks like $170, it might be worth it if I intended to rebuild a deck, assuming it didn't fall apart after a dozen screws.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
$5M??? Not even close. Of the 4 main MRI manufacturers left: GE, Siemens, Philips, and Hitachi (now Fuji), GE's are by far the cheapest. A brand new GE 1.5T is only about 800K. Plus that machine is not even close to being wrecked. The front cone cover took most of the damage. Looking at the picture, the patient table was detached when the impact happened so no damage to that. Hopefully the techs didn't freak out and hit the quench button and dump 50K worth of helium which would be a large part of the repair cost with the price of He these days. Otherwise you're only looking at a week, possibly only 3-4 days depending on their service level and availability of new cover(s). Ramp down (take the magnet off field), remove cabinet, pull front and bore covers, sweep for ferrous objects then extraneous non-ferrous, replace damaged covers then ramp up. The cabinet seems to be jammed at the very front of the bore so I highly doubt you would even need to re-shim (re-align the magnetic field to bring it back to factory spec).

<- MRI Field Engineer - Philips and Hitachi trained so I'm not completely familiar with the machine in the pic so I'm going with general MRI repair knowledge. Also the downtime could possibly be longer due to any OSHA, DPH, and/or hospital safety investigations but my time onsite wouldn't be all that extensive.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
In the 80's we still had plenty of products in pop top tin cans. I even remember using a proper can opener to get at them. The tiny pry bar style.

917055_1.JPG

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I hadn't realized that Quik doesn't come in those containers anymore. I guess I haven't bought any in awhile. Come to think of it, I don't believe I have ever bought it. My mom did but not I.

The top of those cans got really nasty every time too no matter how carefully you wiped it between uses. (look at the one in the pic!)

Edit: Pro-tip from high school aged Ironwing: Strawberry Quik is not just the thing to calm a stomach after excessively heavy drinking.

Neither are strawberry Carnation instant-breakfasts !! o_O

(Or any other flavor!)

• Haha
Reactions: skyking