Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 3160 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
This is how cool cats play dressing up way back then. Look at all those hair and polyester and high fashion styling (turtle neck and neck scarf). Groovy baby.

3d6b643c44017d4bb555985724acd52d.jpg

Who are these guys? ZZ Top that who. Way back in 1970's.

b463e20feb81023a0355e32bcf8a5a45.jpg

Rhinestone Cowboys.
It was a thing, I barely remember it.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Streamlight Stinger. I have the classic, but they have lots of models:

I hate lights where you have to cycle through all the brightness options, plus the strobe and SOS with the thumb switch on the butt. In fact I won't buy them. I have flashlights that have a ring to select 4 different brightness, plus strobe or SOS. Can select before I turn it on, as the ring clicks for each. Bought them in 2013, they take CR123A batteries, used daily when walking dog at night.

Reactions: shortylickens

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

We need more of this. Feels like I've seen more idiotic, reckless driving in the last 2 months than the last 2 decades. People are defaulting to 'oh less traffic these days, so I can go faster.'

If the roads suck, your following distance to the next car should increase, a lot. The trust I hear people put in just snow tires is alarming, as if they cancel out the winter somehow. Talk about too much reliance on technology, that 2 lane bridge up ahead gathering black ice all morning doesn't give a shit about your Quattro lady. Starting to think northern states should require additional winter operation competency tests to get a license. Also gear requirements like in Alaska.

winter-driving-equal-parts-driving-bobsledding-and-church-service-motifake-com-53613538.png

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
This is how cool cats play dressing up way back then. Look at all those hair and polyester and high fashion styling (turtle neck and neck scarf). Groovy baby.

3d6b643c44017d4bb555985724acd52d.jpg

Who are these guys? ZZ Top that who. Way back in 1970's.

b463e20feb81023a0355e32bcf8a5a45.jpg

Phil Collins way back in the 60's with his full set of hair.

3a13637c7c0dacddb3213a2bf0eff9d2.jpg

Let go further back, way back in 1910's. In style.

91366032aa9b6caba79540cf5e51d3e8.jpg
That is so cool that Phil knew he was going to be touring in 1976 back in the 60's. I knew he was smart, but damn!

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
We need more of this. Feels like I've seen more idiotic, reckless driving in the last 2 months than the last 2 decades. People are defaulting to 'oh less traffic these days, so I can go faster.'

If the roads suck, your following distance to the next car should increase, a lot. The trust I hear people put in just snow tires is alarming, as if they cancel out the winter somehow. Talk about too much reliance on technology, that 2 lane bridge up ahead gathering black ice all morning doesn't give a shit about your Quattro lady. Starting to think northern states should require additional winter operation competency tests to get a license. Also gear requirements like in Alaska.

winter-driving-equal-parts-driving-bobsledding-and-church-service-motifake-com-53613538.png

You might be surprised how much a combination of actual driving competence + quality winter tires [in nominal condition] can keep drivers on the road. Even in cars that otherwise might not be the most capable.

After getting dedicated winter tires for my mid-aughts Mazda 3 [FWD], and having that experience as a comparison point, I actually am shocked at how far I was able to push both my own limits and my vehicle's limits back when I had a '97 Dodge Dakota [RWD, V6] with some of the shittiest "cheapest all season tires you got." [No grip in snow weather? Throw 300lb of sand bags in the back!] There were an alarming number of close-calls in that vehicle that routinely gave me a healthy appreciation and respect for driving.

I generally agree, based on what I witness all the time while I'm zooming past the people who terrify me, that a vast majority of drivers have way too much trust on the vehicle technology and fancy features like AWD... but they either shoe their vehicle with shitty rubber or are entirely lacking in ability and/or appropriate mentality (like respecting the balance between written and unwritten rules of the road).

Hell, the vehicles themselves scare me half the time, because the wheel in hand feel is so often muddied and just gross feeling. So many modern cars have gone all-in on electronic steering racks and are getting the feel all wrong. My car's generation still used hydraulic steering, and I wasn't even all that impressed with the newest Mazda3's steering at first when I had a dealer loaner, but of all makes, I suspected Mazda would get it right for cars like the 3 and MX-5 and it seemed predictable and something I'd get comfortable with.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
You might be surprised how much a combination of actual driving competence + quality winter tires [in nominal condition] can keep drivers on the road. Even in cars that otherwise might not be the most capable.

Not at all, I'm advocating for people to pair said winter competence with those winter tires precisely because the combo is effective. My surprise is over some people acting like only one part of the equation will suffice, that and the speeding in areas and weather you really shouldn't. Very much pro winter tire, good winter tires too yes. Hell I couldn't get up my driveway without them, but there have been times I couldn't with them and had to walk. That's fun with groceries and Amazon boxes.

When I teach my boys to drive it will be in a 2WD vehicle on a snow and ice covered parking lot. Gonna learn'em in the shit first.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015

After getting dedicated winter tires for my mid-aughts Mazda 3 [FWD], and having that experience as a comparison point, I actually am shocked at how far I was able to push both my own limits and my vehicle's limits back when I had a '97 Dodge Dakota [RWD, V6] with some of the shittiest "cheapest all season tires you got." [No grip in snow weather? Throw 300lb of sand bags in the back!] There were an alarming number of close-calls in that vehicle that routinely gave me a healthy appreciation and respect for driving.

I generally agree, based on what I witness all the time while I'm zooming past the people who terrify me, that a vast majority of drivers have way too much trust on the vehicle technology and fancy features like AWD... but they either shoe their vehicle with shitty rubber or are entirely lacking in ability and/or appropriate mentality (like respecting the balance between written and unwritten rules of the road).

Hell, the vehicles themselves scare me half the time, because the wheel in hand feel is so often muddied and just gross feeling. So many modern cars have gone all-in on electronic steering racks and are getting the feel all wrong. My car's generation still used hydraulic steering, and I wasn't even all that impressed with the newest Mazda3's steering at first when I had a dealer loaner, but of all makes, I suspected Mazda would get it right for cars like the 3 and MX-5 and it seemed predictable and something I'd get comfortable with.
I drove a 2010 v8 Camaro out of Syracuse airport during a blizzard a few years back. I'm not one of those people who considers themselves a better driver than others, and that was above and beyond the stupidest thing I've done in at least 2 decades, but some combination of whiteknuckling, downshifting, and a diamond foot got me out of there. Summer tires. No actual pavement visible on the highway.