Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 3141 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
TcT8UBv.jpg

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The key itself works quite well for this purpose as will any semi-pointy metal thing like a screwdriver or a pocket knife.
Those "water life-savers" do work admirably but they are very pointy. And they normally happen to be in the car with the keys or the "safe spot" you put the at on the floor.

I was recently locked out and tried out spade bits from Harbor Freight and a wrench as makeshift hammer, but couldn't do jack against the Toyota tempered glass. I caved and suffered damage of 150 plus paint damage trying to use a rule to tap the button, but the button just didn't go deep enough. All of the house keys and the main Toyota key were not sharp.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Those "water life-savers" do work admirably but they are very pointy. And they normally happen to be in the car with the keys or the "safe spot" you put the at on the floor.

I was recently locked out and tried out spade bits from Harbor Freight and a wrench as makeshift hammer, but couldn't do jack against the Toyota tempered glass. I caved and suffered damage of 150 plus paint damage trying to use a rule to tap the button, but the button just didn't go deep enough. All of the house keys and the main Toyota key were not sharp.

I've done it with a swiss army knife .... used the main blade.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Doesn't seem like a totally screwed situation if she had pliers.

I've learned that if you have a local junkyard to get to and has your locked out vehicle, it's cheaper to destroy the door glass and get a replacement. Only problem is that you need something to actually break that glass.

About $250 (new part, not junk yard, and labor) to replace my front (driver and passenger) glass (windshield and rear are much more expensive).

If you have to, use a large rock or a sharp pointy object. Amazon has a small tool you can attach to the key chain to break glass.