Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 3140 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Start cutting peeps in half, problem solved.
LOL, this is obviously an extreme example, but it happens.

As a whole, the culture is very respectful and one of my favorite countries in the world. But the fact is, you do have people walk right in front of you, push their way on to the trains and such. It's much worse in some other Asia countries.

Nov 8, 2012

As a whole, the culture is very respectful and one of my favorite countries in the world. But the fact is, you do have people walk right in front of you, push their way on to the trains and such. It's much worse in some other Asia countries.

Trying to fit on a public subway isn't quite the same though. We don't have control of the space of a public transit - and playing the game of "I hope there is room when it comes around next time" is admittedly stupid. It's hoping that there is extra space - and yet the next time it comes around it's even more packed lol.

In general though, there is a huge difference. Sitting in traffic and talking to others and blissfully unaware of other people that are trying to get by is very much an American thing. Not the same as trying to pack into public transit.

Also doesn't negate my point that they all get off in single-file and line up unlike western countries that bum-rush escalators.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Sure.

There is a certain something against women in the workforce still I'm sure - that's probably the worst I can think of.

But they definitely have plenty of standards that we should adopt - general caring for what others think of us is amazing and should be adopted by anyone.

Another is respect for elders.
something to do with girl's panties, tentacles and the less said about hello kitty, the better.

;)

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Sure.

There is a certain something against women in the workforce still I'm sure - that's probably the worst I can think of.

But they definitely have plenty of standards that we should adopt - general caring for what others think of us is amazing and should be adopted by anyone.

Japanese instills a greater "for the collective" into their society. Hence, they hold back when the opportunity to take or loot presents themselves.

However, the "collective" is an exclusive group and hence "outsiders" not integrated might be treated like shit.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Trying to fit on a public subway isn't quite the same though. We don't have control of the space of a public transit - and playing aame of "I hope there is room when it comes around next time" is admittedly stupid.

In general though, there is a huge difference. Sitting in traffic and talking to others and blissfully unaware of other people that are trying to get by is very much an American thing. Not the same as trying to pack into public transit.

Also doesn't negate my point that they all get off in single-file and line up unlike western countries that bum-rush escalators.
For the most part, they do stand to the left and allow traffic to move to the right. But they do rush to the escalators/stairs from the train trying to catch another or get to the street level. They will also walk right in front of you a lot of times. It's not nearly as bad as some other Asian countries though. They can be downright dicks in other places. I've seen people just walk right in front of other people in a long line and no one says shit to them. It's nuts.

You are right though, overall, it's a great place to visit and I highly recommend everyone go someday.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009

Need the 2A.

;)

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
FsvOJHJ.jpg

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It sincerely doesn't.

Throughout my travels to many countries - Brazil, Russia, France, Belgium, UK, Russia etc... they all result in the same thing when you get off public transit.... Everyone BUM-RUSHES the escalator like mad, and everyone congregates in a circle of "Who can get to the front first" with no real sense of who got there first, etc...

Not in Japan (presumably not in other places as well like Korea)

They all get off and calmly walk to the escalator. They get in a single-file line from the very back, they don't get into globs of people at any point. Each person ensures they 100% keep right all times, allowing anyone who is in a rush to walk up the escalator on the left.

yeah, but getting on the train in Japan is absolutely nothing like that. at all. :D

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Sure.

they also wear masks in public, all the time, every year, during flu season, if you happen to be ill, etc.