Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 3128 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
That's just a gear reduction mechanism. Inside a wheel. :mind=blown:

now...is there a reason that in that video they put it on the rear wheels of a FWD car? How does it add HP if installed on the unpowered wheels? I didn't notice them being installed on the front wheels.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I too still have many questions about it. Still looking into it.

Here's more of a description

Looks pretty damn impressive to me, if those numbers are real.

Reactions: DownTheSky

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
GTxM03S.jpg

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
now...is there a reason that in that video they put it on the rear wheels of a FWD car? How does it add HP if installed on the unpowered wheels? I didn't notice them being installed on the front wheels.

Cliffs: 50hp motor in each wheel. Installing these as kits does require the addition of a few batteries, which apparently is no big deal.

Reactions: Captante

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

cuz it provides power lol, motor driven.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
cuz it provides power lol, motor driven.

oh, I didn't realize they had their own motors, lol. But so...again, installing on a FWD car that doesn't have any kind of switching AWD system (like what Audi does), I assume you need some additional transmission work so that the car now "knows" that it's kinda/sorta AWD, at times?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
What happens when you hit a rim shattering pothole?

I'm guessing a straight swap with another kit is the best option, but I'm sure in some cases only a handful of things might need to be replaced. The original install is apparently something you can do in under 2hrs.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I'm guessing a straight swap with another kit is the best option, but I'm sure in some cases only a handful of things might need to be replaced. The original install is apparently something you can do in under 2hrs.

I doubt it will last. what with road debris getting in there and chewing up everything.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
oh, I didn't realize they had their own motors, lol. But so...again, installing on a FWD car that doesn't have any kind of switching AWD system (like what Audi does), I assume you need some additional transmission work so that the car now "knows" that it's kinda/sorta AWD, at times?

the first video shows the motor mounted on car.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Uh, they are independently controlled electric motors - so no transmission coupling.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Uh, they are independently controlled electric motors - so no transmission coupling.

regardless, please explain to me like I'm an idiot how adding independently-powered rear wheels to a FWD car with a front LSD (exactly like that Type R in the video) doesn't completely fuck with the driving dynamics? I don't see how you can just pop these on without putzing around with the ECM and suspension and all of that whatever to make the car drivable. It's got to be more complicated than simply "I added power to the rear wheels!"

Is this just good for straight line speed or something? does it have its own computer that shuts off as soon as you turn the steering wheel or something?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It has it's own controller and gets info from the car's ABS system, most likely. Think of it as a one-way integration. OBD puts out ABS info if needed.

Sounds good. I imagine it probably is simpler than I think it needs to be, but I'm a dummy.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Sounds good. I imagine it probably is simpler than I think it needs to be, but I'm a dummy.
You are not a dummy. We can talk genetic engineering later so you can kick my ass. :p
As pointed out above; the sensor data and integration on modern cars is pretty impressive - that just needs to be forwarded back to the rear motors & brakes. I assume the motors are also connected for synchronization and possibly traction control. I would think this kit includes some sort of additional control pad to select some optional driving modes.

• Haha
Reactions: highland145

DownTheSky

Apr 7, 2013
My bad. Didn't see they had a motor. Watched the videos, pretty cool stuff. I want to see how they cope with dirt on those rollers that support the rim.

Last edited: