Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 3120 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I'll be honest, whenever I have to be on camera for work meetings, I like to zoom out quite a bit so there isn't so much focus on my face.

Of course, I hate assholes who turn on cameras in meetings altogether. I always worry I'm going to do something like roll my eyes when someone says something stupid and I'll forget people can see it.

I'm curious why anyone ever has to be on camera except during job interviews (my wife recently) and of course pandemic tv. I have been in IT since 2000 and have worked from home since 2005. Not once was it ever required for any client. I have never even seen the faces of my last 3 or so managers except as a picture they chose to use as a profile pic.

Nov 8, 2012
I'm curious why anyone ever has to be on camera except during job interviews (my wife recently) and of course pandemic tv. I have been in IT since 2000 and have worked from home since 2005. Not once was it ever required for any client. I have never even seen the faces of my last 3 or so managers except as a picture they chose to use as a profile pic.

Hipsters on the west coast are much more likely to push for it.

Also pre-pandemic, we never really did it much... but we would also do notable ones in-person instead of online as well.

For what it's worth, my work is related to selling large software packages to big companies.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005

IT here too (IT services for business clients), and our company has weekly meetings. Used to be in a conference room - COVID moved that to Teams. I suspect the need to show ourselves comes from the same original "no electronic devices" requirements for the meetings -- all about minimizing distractions (and relatedly: observing that we appear to be paying attention and taking notes).

With clients? Never. A couple software providers have pushed it and I never enable the camera.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
IT here too (IT services for business clients), and our company has weekly meetings. Used to be in a conference room - COVID moved that to Teams. I suspect the need to show ourselves comes from the same original "no electronic devices" requirements for the meetings -- all about minimizing distractions (and relatedly: observing that we appear to be paying attention and taking notes).

With clients? Never. A couple software providers have pushed it and I never enable the camera.

I have a piece of tape on the camera. It shows my camera is on but it's just shows black image.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
eiBai8u.jpg