Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 2573 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
lol that's nuts. But I guess if that is the only way pickup is funded...it's not in property taxes/county taxes?

anyway, I used to think it was bad in Chicago when we had to buy specific blue bags at the Jewel for the recycling. It was like 8 bucks for 8 bags. Blue recycling bags went out with the trash. same pickup, same truck, same destination.

That was weird, I thought, and I sure do hate paying an exorbitant fee for these ridiculous bags; but I had just moved to the city so maybe that's what city folks do so what do I know?

Anyway, turns out, a few months later, it was yet another Daley scam and all those bags were just going to the dump with all the other trash, because obviously. The blue bags were a Daley family slush fund or some shit. God damn Daleys.

https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/awful-truth-about-recycling-in-chicago/Content?oid=922697
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2008-05-03-0805020335-story.html
Yeah, funded that way if i recall correctly. Aside from that all recycling is free, so basically the whole system exists to encourage recycling.

EDIT: To be clear, the city isn't picking up the trash, it's privatized organizations. They charge x/mo (like $20 or something) for general trash pickup service, along with trash tags per bag, there's several competing businesses so you can pick whichever you prefer.

Last edited:

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I'll be glad to pay our property tax. It's the $11,500/yr school tax that can go F itself. Overwhelming majority goes to salaries, pensions, and top benefits. Oh, and F those unions.
12.4k school taxes annually here. Does sting. I'm torn, because I do value high quality public education (and the district here is really good), but man it hurts.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I'm a strong believer in that if you don't use said function you shouldn't be paying taxes on it....such as school taxes (no kids). I doubt that will ever happen though. Just like the 'optional sales taxes' that never go away, once a tax is in, it takes an act of god to get it removed.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
OibBHF7.jpg

I laughed way too hard at that

Reactions: footballrunner800

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm a strong believer in that if you don't use said function you shouldn't be paying taxes on it....such as school taxes (no kids). I doubt that will ever happen though. Just like the 'optional sales taxes' that never go away, once a tax is in, it takes an act of god to get it removed.

I firmly believe in it. Less dumb kids (the following generations) is always better for me and you and humanity. there is literally nothing to dislike about that system. I benefit from those before me, and so I happily pass along the buck.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Oh lookie at all those tax-haters who want to freeload because "they don't partake in the services they pay for."

Yes you do - indirectly or directly, take a pick.

If you want to live off the land and disappear from society, sure, you may have an argument for no taxation, but, um... no you don't. If you don't want tax and want to be a hermit, go find some colony somewhere to live that is ungoverned or go live off the land, stop collecting paychecks, completely disappear. Even then it's our government keeping armies off your back so...
So long as you live under a government, you most certainly benefit from services rendered. Try having livable [and arable] land around you if the rest of the country didn't have their shit together - it takes land and resource and community management across the entire country to keep your part and parcel in the same general shape ecologically, not run over by rapists and pillagers, etc, because climate and atmospheric conditions spill over everywhere, as does a general lack of civility if the unruliness were not tamed. All of that, as simple as it sounds, takes immense financial resources (that is, so long as we live in a market-dominated, currency-obsessed civilization). And that's just to start.

As you get closer to population centers, there is far more direct benefit and a definite case of partaking in the services, often directly. Roads, utilities, a generally predictable economy, air you can breathe, water you can drink, the riffraff generally kept in check, etc... all of it demands coin from all of us. And if you want people to be able to actually *do* any of that, they need educated. So what if you don't have kids - your actual health and safety demands that the civilization around you has at least a modicum of intelligence. And then there's mental health, physical health, etc etc etc. The list goes on.

Living in a prosperous civilization is not without its costs and sacrifices. It's a highly economic trade: give a fair bit, get a whole hell of a lot in return.

/rant

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Oh lookie at all those tax-haters who want to freeload because "they don't partake in the services they pay for."

Yes you do - indirectly or directly, take a pick.

If you want to live off the land and disappear from society, sure, you may have an argument for no taxation, but, um... no you don't. If you don't want tax and want to be a hermit, go find some colony somewhere to live that is ungoverned or go live off the land, stop collecting paychecks, completely disappear. Even then it's our government keeping armies off your back so...
So long as you live under a government, you most certainly benefit from services rendered. Try having livable [and arable] land around you if the rest of the country didn't have their shit together - it takes land and resource and community management across the entire country to keep your part and parcel in the same general shape ecologically, not run over by rapists and pillagers, etc, because climate and atmospheric conditions spill over everywhere, as does a general lack of civility if the unruliness were not tamed. All of that, as simple as it sounds, takes immense financial resources (that is, so long as we live in a market-dominated, currency-obsessed civilization). And that's just to start.

As you get closer to population centers, there is far more direct benefit and a definite case of partaking in the services, often directly. Roads, utilities, a generally predictable economy, air you can breathe, water you can drink, the riffraff generally kept in check, etc... all of it demands coin from all of us. And if you want people to be able to actually *do* any of that, they need educated. So what if you don't have kids - your actual health and safety demands that the civilization around you has at least a modicum of intelligence. And then there's mental health, physical health, etc etc etc. The list goes on.

Living in a prosperous civilization is not without its costs and sacrifices. It's a highly economic trade: give a fair bit, get a whole hell of a lot in return.

/rant

I know you don't know me, but if you did you'd stifle that rhetoric you're throwing around. The tax system is and has been broken for years. The majority of taxes are wasted and school taxes are especially bad about it. If you are fine with it all I'm sure they'd be happy to let you pay double.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I firmly believe in it. Less dumb kids (the following generations) is always better for me and you and humanity. there is literally nothing to dislike about that system. I benefit from those before me, and so I happily pass along the buck.

It's got more to do with how it is used. There's way more wasteful and diverted spending to things that aren't even education related or overspending due to how contracts are given than putting the money where it needs to be. Let's not kid ourselves and pretend our schools are pumping out geniuses. There's a reason teacher pay is so low, and it isn't because of a lack of taxes collected.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I know you don't know me, but if you did you'd stifle that rhetoric you're throwing around. The tax system is and has been broken for years. The majority of taxes are wasted and school taxes are especially bad about it. If you are fine with it all I'm sure they'd be happy to let you pay double.

Yes I know there is wastage, but saying taxes should be lower versus you shouldn't pay any taxes are two entirely different arguments.

{I had a much longer reply typed up - but this is the wrong thread for this to continue)

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
If you don't leave your property you shouldn't have to pay anyone anything. You also shouldn't have your home snatched away because a bunch of yuppies thought your neighborhood's cool, and drove up property values beyond your ability to pay. So, yea. You can fuck off with your property tax.
Prop 13 my friend. It should be nation wide.

Reactions: rh71

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
12.4k school taxes annually here. Does sting. I'm torn, because I do value high quality public education (and the district here is really good), but man it hurts.

It helps that these kids go to a school district where parents care about education and having peers that are more likely to succeed because of that. Every time my kids tell me their classmate got a 50 or a 70 on a test it just tells me it's more about the kids and parenting than the teaching. So no, we don't need to pay these teachers $135k each with an additional $80k worth of platinum benefits (free for their whole family). And then pay them more through retirement for as long as they live. They are legitimately raping the tax base. But everyone knows a teacher or is related to one and nobody wants to call them out on their greed and selfishness.

I know a gym teacher making $135k. My boys' K teachers too.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2009
It helps that these kids go to a school district where parents care about education and having peers that are more likely to succeed because of that. Every time my kids tell me their classmate got a 50 or a 70 on a test it just tells me it's more about the kids and parenting than the teaching. So no, we don't need to pay these teachers $135k each with an additional $80k worth of platinum benefits (free for their whole family). And then pay them more through retirement for as long as they live. They are legitimately raping the tax base. But everyone knows a teacher or is related to one and nobody wants to call them out on their greed and selfishness.

I know a gym teacher making $135k. My boys' K teachers too.
And what is the cost of living where these $135K+85K teachers are being employed.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
And what is the cost of living where these $135K+85K teachers are being employed.

It's Long Island, NY in various towns across the island, rich and poor. The poorest performing district Central Islip has an average teacher salary of over 6-figures. And they're well below the entire NY state standard performance-wise.

Your point is one that gets to me the most. The cost of living includes our taxes. And paying $16k overall taxes, $11.5k of which is for their own compensation, is a HUGE reason for the cost of living in the first place. Just add $1k per month to your mortgage for that tax and you see how hefty that is. It makes me sick hearing that they "need" high compensation because "it's so costly here". FFS, you're the reason.

Anyway, I've stated these facts before, but this is really not the thread to vent more.

Last edited: