Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 2208 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
A guy out in Wyoming did it with no knife, back in the 70s or 80s, I forget. He happened upon a big grizz who had already been agitated by some hikers IIRC; instead of running he went on the offensive with his own fucking teeth. He clamped down on the bear's jugular and held on for dear life, until the bear passed out. Then it was branch + skull, until soft.

No steel of any kind involved, as far as I know. How big are those balls? I heard about this guy years ago and it still amazes me every time I think of it.

6150884323_1f0fa78a69_o.jpg

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
In my googling I see the meme I posted is factually incorrect. A couple years ago a bow hunter in Minnesota put one in a big black bear but it took off. He gave it a wait, hoping for a bleed out I guess, then trailed it. Oh and he found it, and while the 525lb bear was on top of him and eating his arm he stabbed it about 20 times, finally killing it. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-black-BEAR-shooting-bow-arrow-Minnesota.html

That's a big damn black bear. My dad was attacked by one less than half that weight back in the 90s, and he said it tossed him (6'2" 180-200lbs) around like a doll.

nfbc4.jpg

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
Not to sure about it...? My posi unit rear gear on my 3/4 ton PU might tend to rip that thing to shreds...? Dunno...?

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Not to sure about it...? My posi unit rear gear on my 3/4 ton PU might tend to rip that thing to shreds...? Dunno...?

Those nylon straps can have really high tinsile strength...on the order of 4 to 8 tons of stress when doubled up like that. Doubt a truck would produce enough torque to snap them.

Feb 25, 2011
Those nylon straps can have really high tinsile strength...on the order of 4 to 8 tons of stress when doubled up like that. Doubt a truck would produce enough torque to snap them.
force = 1/2 mass * velocity-squared. IOW, it's not the size of your getaway vehicle that matters, it's how fast you're going.

But in any case, the straps will probably guarantee that the faster you go, the more car parts you leave on the roadway.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
It always amazed me how on tv shows they always have this big heavy bumbling SUV chasing down sports cars. Or bikes for that matter.

Feb 25, 2011
It always amazed me how on tv shows they always have this big heavy bumbling SUV chasing down sports cars.

Driver skill matters more. Most people suck at driving, and even a big bumbling SUV can bust a move if you need it to - and if you know how to ask politely.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Driver skill matters more. Most people suck at driving, and even a big bumbling SUV can bust a move if you need it to - and if you know how to ask politely.

They have standard Chevy or Dodge trucks doing the chasing, with perhaps no more than a big engine. The slower speeds at which they have to take these beasts into turns in an urban setting would slow them down way more than driver skill can make up for IMO. Constantly playing catch-up is no way to stop a guy in a Mustang, NBC.