Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 3277 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
That is for when you have a knife. I should have been more specific; they have a knife, you are unarmed. One of the reasons I laugh whenever the Knives come out. Best advice is the line in Unforgiven, where they say you shot an unarmed man, and Clint says -"Well he should have armed himself."

My point was that gif shows how sharp a knife can be. I will cut straight through and into the bone when they cut you. Yet the reality defense people like Krav Maga will do some crazy stupid shit during the seminars. They ever try anything they teach and they will be getting toe tagged.

Getting sliced is bad, for sure, but unless it's the neck it's usually a lot less lethal than getting run through the chest.

But yes. There are a lot of poseurs out there disseminating dangerous ideas when it comes to knife techniques though, for sure. If I see one more "expert" demonstrate a defense where they go to the inside of the knife attack, or making an X with their arms to block a forward low thrust, I'm gonna fuckin lose it.

For anyone interested in knife skills and not going to the hospital or dying, I have two words for you: pekiti tirsia.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Getting sliced is bad, for sure, but unless it's the neck it's usually a lot less lethal than getting run through the chest.
There are so many arteries, nerves and organ targets on a human it's not even funny. A well trained knife fighter in a close in fight (like some spec ops guys) are going to kill you quickly or just leave you bleeding out.
The video above that shows the guy running is the best defense against your average idiot. Now that I'm fat and slow; I'd have to hope there's a random heavy pipe lying around.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009

But yes. There are a lot of poseurs out there disseminating dangerous ideas when it comes to knife techniques though, for sure. If I see one more "expert" demonstrate a defense where they go to the inside of the knife attack, or making an X with their arms to block a forward low thrust, I'm gonna fuckin lose it.

For anyone interested in knife skills and not going to the hospital or dying, I have two words for you: pekiti tirsia.
1 word.....gun.

Reactions: Captante
Feb 4, 2009
That is for when you have a knife. I should have been more specific; they have a knife, you are unarmed. One of the reasons I laugh whenever the Knives come out. Best advice is the line in Unforgiven, where they say you shot an unarmed man, and Clint says -"Well he should have armed himself."

My point was that gif shows how sharp a knife can be. I will cut straight through and into the bone when they cut you. Yet the reality defense people like Krav Maga will do some crazy stupid shit during the seminars. They ever try anything they teach and they will be getting toe tagged.

• Haha
Reactions: highland145

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
1 word.....gun.

Don't mistake an interest in edged weapon combat to mean an aversion to ballistic solutions.

Knives are still very much relevant today for a reason, they work. For >99% of the population, inside of 21feet and facing a determined assailant - you gettin cut, before you can bring accurate fire to bear.

Anything's better than fingernails, and I've never known a good blade to jam or be in need of a reload.

military-humor-stealth-techniques-nowadays.jpg

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Don't mistake an interest in edged weapon combat to mean an aversion to ballistic solutions.

Knives are still very much relevant today for a reason, they work. For >99% of the population, inside of 21feet and facing a determined assailant - you gettin cut, before you can bring accurate fire to bear.

Anything's better than fingernails, and I've never known a good blade to jam or be in need of a reload.

And peeps question why cops shoot a knife weilder 17 times.

Duh, that's all they hold. My 17 anyway.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Dont mean to crap all over you but you know absolutely nothing about self defense.
You need to read a crapload of books and watch some vids and take some classes, if possible. You got lots of bad ideas in your head that dont coincide with reality.
Not the least of which is that "21 foot theory".

• Haha
Reactions: kage69

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah no sympathy Khaled. Bills himself as The Man of the house yet won't man up and 'return the favor'? That's pathetic.

yeah I have no idea what is going on with that, I just love the fact that Dwayne Johnson is publicly throwing some shade, and he don't give a fuck.

we live in a new era, lol.