Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 3220 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
yjaV9BJ.jpeg

H4doRiJ.jpeg

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
So?

The only downside I see is that the guy now has to wash the gas off his car before it damages that paint. The other guys, chalk that up to a lesson.

Call me old fashioned, but I tend to prefer tactics that don't endanger my life. Only the opposition should be at risk from my actions. Incapactitating or detonating your own vehicle tends to limit your flight options. If he's wealthy or important enough to kidnap, he can afford a gun, a dog, professional protection, or all of the above. Shit happens and you have to make split second decisions when people punch that card for you, especially when outnumbered, I get it, just saying the odds of it going Greek tragedy for that method are nothing to sneeze at.

Last edited:

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Call me old fashioned, but I tend to prefer tactics that don't endanger my life. Only the opposition should be at risk from my actions. Incapactitating or detonating your own vehicle tends to limit your flight options. If he's wealthy or important enough to kidnap, he can afford a gun, a dog, professional protection, or all of the above. Shit happens and you have to make split second decisions when people punch that card for you, especially when outnumbered, I get it, just saying the odds of it going Greek tragedy for that method are nothing to sneeze at.

I dont know the dude was getting assaulted at gun point. I would have thrown a cigarette in their van for good measure, fuck them, you point a gun at me you forfeit the option of living.

Reactions: MtnMan

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Well he was in danger, and he responded to stop the threat.

This appears to happen at night, not the best time to gas up, go to ATMs, etc., but sometimes unavoidable.

He was situationally aware, and recognized the threat immediately, and reacted. Torching your car sure beats the police showing up at his home to advise his family he wasn't coming home.

Reactions: highland145

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Well he was in danger, and he responded to stop the threat.

This appears to happen at night, not the best time to gas up, go to ATMs, etc., but sometimes unavoidable.

He was situationally aware, and recognized the threat immediately, and reacted. Torching your car sure beats the police showing up at his home to advise his family he wasn't coming home.
He would have undoubtedly immolated himself if he had set anything near that situation on fire. Friendly reminder, gasoline evaporates exceedingly quickly. A good 20% of that was aerosolized and evaporated by that point, forming a nice ankle-high plume in the surrounding 30 feet, along with a possible fireball centered on the vehicle a foot away from him.
Examples!

Nov 8, 2012
He would have undoubtedly immolated himself if he had set anything near that situation on fire. Friendly reminder, gasoline evaporates exceedingly quickly. A good 20% of that was aerosolized and evaporated by that point, forming a nice ankle-high plume in the surrounding 30 feet, along with a possible fireball centered on the vehicle a foot away from him.
Examples!

Interesting, so basically in that 2nd video a large amount (20%) of that gasoline was airborne around the fire, so when you ignite the liquid it then travels up to the airborne stuff - then the flame makes it a liquid again - then it drops down to the floor (hence the grass around it lighting). Am i describing that correctly?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Interesting, so basically in that 2nd video a large amount (20%) of that gasoline was airborne around the fire, so when you ignite the liquid it then travels up to the airborne stuff - then the flame makes it a liquid again - then it drops down to the floor (hence the grass around it lighting). Am i describing that correctly?
Not quite, gasoline as a gas is heavier than air, so it sinks below nitrogen/oxygen/co2. It hovers around the grass like a blanket, and when it ignites, it *very* quickly spreads until it reaches the end of it's viable fuel source, at which point if it's successfully heated the surrounding material (dry grass, pants, rubber, plastic) to ignition point, those burn instead.

In the case of our friend with the gasoline hose, if he had ignited that, about a 40' radius starting around where the van was would have ignited very quickly, and *might* not have caused significant damage to him personally, though he was holding the fuel source. Odds are good they would have been spooked further, his vehicle would have burst into flames (or at least the hood area), and he might have been turned into a fireball.

Reactions: s0me0nesmind1

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Examples!

:D

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Not quite, gasoline as a gas is heavier than air, so it sinks below nitrogen/oxygen/co2. It hovers around the grass like a blanket, and when it ignites, it *very* quickly spreads until it reaches the end of it's viable fuel source, at which point if it's successfully heated the surrounding material (dry grass, pants, rubber, plastic) to ignition point, those burn instead.

In the case of our friend with the gasoline hose, if he had ignited that, about a 40' radius starting around where the van was would have ignited very quickly, and *might* not have caused significant damage to him personally, though he was holding the fuel source. Odds are good they would have been spooked further, his vehicle would have burst into flames (or at least the hood area), and he might have been turned into a fireball.

Made me think of that horrible Mexican gas line incident from a couple years ago, where people were filling containers at a gas line rupture. One spark later and a hundred people or so got turned into human Roman candles. A lot of dead people, many kids. The ones who went to the burn units probably wished they were dead - that's pain from another dimension. And then you're probably disfigured for the rest of your life. I'd rather catch a bullet honestly.

Edit: 85 dead, was like a carnival

"Hundreds showed up at the spigot, carrying plastic jugs and covering their faces with bandanas. A few threw rocks and swung sticks at soldiers who tried to shoo them away. Some fuel collectors brought their children along."

"Soldiers formed a perimeter around an area the size of a soccer field where townspeople were incinerated by the fireball, reduced to clumps of ash and bones. Officials suggested Sunday that fields like this, where people were clearly complicit with the crime of fuel theft, could be seized by the government. "

Some people just don't get it.

Last edited: