Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 2672 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Took me a minute too long as well. I actually got what (I presume) she was going for first... "nicest mom"?

Then I got it shortly after.

well, it's an NC tag, so I assumed: "NC State Mom," because it's commonly abbreviated NCST...among the older guard locals anyway. NCSU is also common. So my brain got stuck on that instant interpretation, and when that happens, it's hard to see the other possibilities.

Also, that's one of those common stickers that you would see on cars in the area, where I grew up, so I'm like, "yeah, so?"

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Would love to see the back story to this, awesome squirrel.

better than a common campus squirrel. Those bastards are vicious. Because of the usual kids and visiting, smiling tourists that are constantly feeding them, the squirrels become fat and very aggressive to humans. They jump up on you and climb around, demanding food because they can't understand why their free food source isn't feeding them.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

Having only ever attracted jellyfish or anchovie, I think I'm just a little bit jealous. Then again, even if you're dealing with fish eating orca, those guys catch things to toy with, like a cat with a partially dead mouse. She stayed in the water longer than I would have.

Overall though, very cool, also adding weight to the push I feel to get a drone.

Reactions: skyking and Thebobo

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009

Having only ever attracted jellyfish or anchovie, I think I'm just a little bit jealous. Then again, even if you're dealing with fish eating orca, those guys catch things to toy with, like a cat with a partially dead mouse. She stayed in the water longer than I would have.

Overall though, very cool, also adding weight to the push I feel to get a drone.
And the orca still talk about the one that got away.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
LlKu5Y3.png
The "Higher Riker Maneuver"

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I mean...all I see is mom teaching Jrs how to hunt...because that's what they're doing. No fucking way do I want to be in that shit.
lol--they're fucking selling a t-shirt about this called "co-exist?"

fucking dummies. This is exactly how that old bird got eaten by the tiger shark out near Seattle because her dream was to "swim with the seals!" ...and then it finally happened, and so she did. And then the seals promptly swam away, she was sad and confused, but you know, also dumb.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I mean...all I see is mom teaching Jrs how to hunt...because that's what they're doing. No fucking way do I want to be in that shit.
lol--they're fucking selling a t-shirt about this called "co-exist?"

fucking dummies. This is exactly how that old bird got eaten by the tiger shark out near Seattle because her dream was to "swim with the seals!" ...and then it finally happened, and so she did. And then the seals promptly swam away, she was sad and confused, but you know, also dumb.

Nah I'm not thinking that was teaching to hunt. They get more aggressive about demonstrating hunting behaviors and when playing with their food they do so more aggressively as well -- slapping prey around, flipping them out of the water, etc. Remember, they may be "man eating" but they are also just as intelligent as dolphins - who also enjoy playing around in a friendly way with humans... usually. Dolphins have been known to attack but far rarer in comparison to the friendly encounters.
Orcas also have much better vision than sharks IIRC so they can inspect without teeth. Just bad luck if you end up near a hungry orca I'd say because then we're convenient snack size.

Check out the mamma or papa catching waves at the end - just like dolphin play.

Remember, these are just as intelligent, perhaps more so, than canines. Equally as social. That'd be an equally amazing and nerve-racking experience though, to be sure. I wouldn't even think of that reaction with dolphins (if they're that hungry, that's just bad luck and a risk with water), but with orcas you are of course right to have suspicions and keep your guard up.

But like many animals, it's the appearance/behavior that inspires chase. She kept swimming calmly and predictably, not something that their natural prey would do in the same circumstance. That invites curiosity and investigation.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Nah I'm not thinking that was teaching to hunt. They get more aggressive about demonstrating hunting behaviors and when playing with their food they do so more aggressively as well -- slapping prey around, flipping them out of the water, etc. Remember, they may be "man eating" but they are also just as intelligent as dolphins - who also enjoy playing around in a friendly way with humans... usually. Dolphins have been known to attack but far rarer in comparison to the friendly encounters.
Orcas also have much better vision than sharks IIRC so they can inspect without teeth. Just bad luck if you end up near a hungry orca I'd say because then we're convenient snack size.

Check out the mamma or papa catching waves at the end - just like dolphin play.

Remember, these are just as intelligent, perhaps more so, than canines. Equally as social. That'd be an equally amazing and nerve-racking experience though, to be sure. I wouldn't even think of that reaction with dolphins (if they're that hungry, that's just bad luck and a risk with water), but with orcas you are of course right to have suspicions and keep your guard up.

But like many animals, it's the appearance/behavior that inspires chase. She kept swimming calmly and predictably, not something that their natural prey would do in the same circumstance. That invites curiosity and investigation.

mom was herding the swimmer to shore and waiting for the kids to catch up and watch. Orcas have taken out ships before. They are awesome creatures, just saying. Anthropomorphising such animals like these tools in the video are doing is just plain ignorance.

Luna1968

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2019
mom was herding the swimmer to shore and waiting for the kids to catch up and watch. Orcas have taken out ships before. They are awesome creatures, just saying. Anthropomorphising such animals like these tools in the video are doing is just plain ignorance.

Anthropomorphising any animal pisses me off. cant stand watching animal due to this