Jesus dolls rejected from Toys for Tots program

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Stop forcing Christianity on kids at a young age. Problem solved. No need to waste more money on making plastic Jesus dolls that look like Colin Farrell from Miami Vice.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: Ryan
Well, I'm won't be giving to Toys for Tots this Christmas season like I have in the past. I'll find another organization who isn't sucking up to the PCers in the country.

So do you believe they should only bring happiness to the lives of little Christian kids, not to the unfortunate who do not share your beliefs?
Christian kids get toys from that program too don't they? Why turn down a donation that some kids would like. No one forces a kid to take a religious toy. There are tons of non-religious toys available.

They have no way of knowing what religion the kid is - they just get the toys at random based on their age group. Again - why do you only care about the Christian children?
i never implied i only cared about Christian children so kindly fvck off with trying to go there.

I'm only trying to find your true reasoning - you wouldn't provide it until now, so what did you expect me to do?

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Well, I'm won't be giving to Toys for Tots this Christmas season like I have in the past. I'll find another organization who isn't sucking up to the PCers in the country.

So do you believe they should only bring happiness to the lives of little Christian kids, not to the unfortunate who do not share your beliefs?
Christian kids get toys from that program too don't they? Why turn down a donation that some kids would like. No one forces a kid to take a religious toy. There are tons of non-religious toys available.

They have no way of knowing what religion the kid is - they just get the toys at random based on their age group. Again - why do you only care about the Christian children?
i never implied i only cared about Christian children so kindly fvck off with trying to go there.

I'm only trying to find your true reasoning - you wouldn't provide it until now, so what did you expect me to do?
not jump to conclusions?

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Aharami

what if it was a Muhammad doll, or a Moses doll, or a hindu deity doll that was rejected. would you still not give to toys for tots?

I prefer the darwin doll, the homosexual dolls, and the nambla dolls.

My guess is that this is exactly the reaction the organization was going for, they knew they dolls would be rejected and saw it as an opportunity to build up the "anti-pc" non-believers are stealing christmas lobby. I'm sure it doesn't hurt their traffic to make it onto nbc either.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001

what if it was a Muhammad doll, or a Moses doll, or a hindu deity doll that was rejected. would you still not give to toys for tots?
Yep, same premise.

damn you for not posting a flameworthy reply :p

you have your beliefs, I have mine. I believe the less religion a child has in his/her life, the better off the child is. No need to bring up a kid as a Christian/Hindu/Jew/Muslim/etc. Let him/her grow up and make up their own mind.

I for one, will be donating extra to Toys for Tots this year

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I don't have a problem with what they're doing.

It's a god awful toy anyway.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Am I really the only one seeing the irony about rejecting toy Jesus dolls as a gift for poor children on a holiday celebrating the BIRTH OF JESUS?

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

Yep, same premise.

damn you for not posting a flameworthy reply :p

you have your beliefs, I have mine. I believe the less religion a child has in his/her life, the better off the child is. No need to bring up a kid as a Christian/Hindu/Jew/Muslim/etc. Let him/her grow up and make up their own mind.

I for one, will be donating extra to Toys for Tots this year
Very civil response. :thumbsup:
Just cause we don't share the same view doesn't mean we have to hate on each other.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Mwilding
Am I really the only one seeing the irony about rejecting toy Jesus dolls as a gift for poor children on a holiday celebrating the BIRTH OF JESUS?

Considering that Christmas is pretty much a secular holiday these days, no I don't see it.

mordantmonkey

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
They have no way of knowing what religion the kid is - they just get the toys at random based on their age group.

mosh, you mind replying to the non flambait part?
i don't see this as being PC, just more like, "why give a christian doll to a muslim kid?" that would be dumb. Sure they could start polling families for their religion and sort toys based on religion, but that's a lot of volunteer work i'd rather see spent collecting and distributing toys.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: BigJ

Considering that Christmas is pretty much a secular holiday these days, no I don't see it.

I understand that you are right in that observation, but that in itself is part of the irony...

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: BigJ

I understand that you are right in that observation, but that in itself is part of the irony...

Actually I lied and did have a chuckle, but I figured I'd post the first response just to get it out of the way.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: yowolabi

If you would have read the article, you would see that they have no way of knowing which kid is going to get which toy.
So a boy can get a girl's toy?

They could leave these toy's unwrapped so the child knows what he/she is getting. I still say they shouldn't turn down donations.

Wrapping the toys would cost the organizations an arm and a leg.

Giving them to the children unwrapped spoils an integral part of opening gifts.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: mordantmonkey
They have no way of knowing what religion the kid is - they just get the toys at random based on their age group.

mosh, you mind replying to the non flambait part?
i don't see this as being PC, just more like, "why give a christian doll to a muslim kid?" that would be dumb. Sure they could start polling families for their religion and sort toys based on religion, but that's a lot of volunteer work i'd rather see spent collecting and distributing toys.

The issue is not one of cross-religion confusion. Why the hell would a muslim kid get a Christmas present? It's a matter of whether or not the recipient is a practicing Christian and how receptive they would be to a scripture quoting doll. As BigJ pointed out, it has become a mostly secular holiday, but that just seperates the practicing christians from the people decended from practicing christians...

Kids (being kids) don't want sweaters or religious items, THEY WANT A Wii, DAMMIT!

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: JS80

So not giving a Jesus doll that has a recorded voice telling you to be Christian to a possibly Muslim or Jewish or non-religous child is being PC? Surely you have better critical thinking skills than that.

Christian kid would want it because he likes Jesus.
Muslim kid would like it because it can be used to burn in effigy.
Jewish kids...aren't poor so it's irrelevant.

LMAO! Nice

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Oh boys, what's next!? The canned food drives won't accept anything that isn't koscher (sp).

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003

So not giving a Jesus doll that has a recorded voice telling you to be Christian to a possibly Muslim or Jewish or non-religous child is being PC? Surely you have better critical thinking skills than that.
Don't call me shirley.

anyways, give the toys to a poor Christian school or something. there are ways to make use of them.

FINDING the poor christian school adds administrative costs. Good charities have low administrative costs. Those dolls were more trouble than they were worth. I'm also sure that the toy company had another, religious charity to send their jesus dolls to.

+ who gives a poor kid a fvcking religious toy??????????? I wanted GI Joes, He Man, and Ninja Fvcking Turtles. The sermon on the mount is not fun and has no place coming out of an action figure.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Originally posted by: latino666
Originally posted by: xcript
Originally posted by: glenn beck
looks like they are taking them now

http://www.crosswalk.com/news/1448624.html
:thumbsdown:

At least some poor Christian boy or girl will get something on Christmas Day.

No, the poor christian kid will be doubly fvcked. 1) they're poor. 2) instead of getting a cool toy that shoots freakin' laser beems and blows sh!t up, he gets a jesus doll that is as fun as sunday school.

Do you really think that a christian 8 year old wants a talking holy-mother-mary doll? The parents may want the kid to get the doll, but the only use most christian kids would get out of them would involve a microwave or a magnifying glass. Either that, or they'll just pretend that thos POS's are just lame gi joes.