Jesse Lee Peterson, a man of color, destroys white privilege.

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
No, you just have a pretty thick bubble. Again you show you will change what reality actually is for the sake of your emotionally held position.

Amazing that the same group that holler for citations and links and peer reviewed studies if you use the word "a lot" hasn’t offered up anything other than name calling to try and refute you.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
It’s 100% nurture, except you’re trying to shift the burden off of them for the failures within their communities. And these are failures that by and large occurred after the civil rights era.

So what happened in the civil right's era means that suddenly everything is OK. They have equal opportunities now and there are no longer any reasons for failure outside their own community? Which means that passing some laws to legally prohibit discrimination is all it should take. After that, all the problems either just go away or else there's something wrong with them. Gotcha.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Amazing that the same group that holler for citations and links and peer reviewed studies if you use the word "a lot" hasn’t offered up anything other than name calling to try and refute you.

Yup. I didn't post in P&N all that often, but my post history is there to search, and people who do will find a mixture of left and right views (but never anti-2A). I'm the same person and telling the truth about my prior political leanings, but logic and facts do not matter to the evangelical.

Reactions: UglyCasanova

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
there are no longer any reasons for failure outside their own community?

Sure there are, but the biggest component is the cultural degradation from within. Like the hands up don’t shoot movement. Is overpolicinf and shooting blacks a serious problem. Yep. The far far far far larger problem is black on black crime. Where’s the celebrities, the marches, the kneeling, etc over black on black violence? A little lip service here and there but by and large everyone is too afraid to touch that one.

Reactions: SlowSpyder
Nov 25, 2013
Yup. I didn't post in P&N all that often, but my post history is there to search, and people who do will find a mixture of left and right views (but never anti-2A). I'm the same person and telling the truth about my prior political leanings, but logic and facts do not matter to the evangelical.

Damn. Still on fire, those pants, they are.

EDIT: Awww. Poor wee bunky. :(

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2013
Sure there are, but the biggest component is the cultural degradation from within. Like the hands up don’t shoot movement. Is overpolicinf and shooting blacks a serious problem. Yep. The far far far far larger problem is black on black crime. Where’s the celebrities, the marches, the kneeling, etc over black on black violence? A little lip service here and there but by and large everyone is too afraid to touch that one.

Why are you pretending that this is an issue you actually care about? Seems like an awful lot of work for nothing given that no one believes you.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I will say what is obvious. Our ancestors brought them here first in 1619. They were slaves until roughly 1865. For 250 years. Then for the next 100 years we had systemic discrimination. After discrimination was outlawed, it persisted to a lesser degree up to today.

Might any of that have to do with the socio-economic problems we see in the black community?

The problem I have with conservatives who criticize the black community and tell them to pull themselves up is that they had little to no opportunity for 350 years and conservatives think after 2 generations of diminished discrimination we should expect to see, what, socio-economic parity with white people? And if not, there must be something wrong with them. You don't get to kick someone over and over and over again then suddenly stop kicking them and demand that they stand up.
The problem with those conservatives who say that is that most of them never pulled themselves up. A few did, yes, but a very few. Most either came from affluent or middle class families and are still in roughly the same economic class as adults as their parents were. Or they were born in and still are in lower classes where racism is often a part of the competition for jobs. Either way, there's not nearly as much 'pulling up' as they would like us to believe.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Conservatives are making 60-70% of black kids born out of wedlock and never know their dads.
You do know that that's roughly the same as the out of wedlock birth rate among poor whites, right?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Actually I don’t Vic, show me where you’re seeing it.
Feel free to peruse the data on your own. Almost 40% of all births in the US are now out of wedlock, and the numbers worsen for all races/ethnicities as you go down the economic ladder.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/unmarried-childbearing.htm

The actual cause of the increase in out of wedlock births is controversial, of course. It's the ending of the custom of shotgun weddings. 50 years ago, if a girl got pregnant out of the wedlock, the child was either put up for adoption, or the father was forced to marry her before the child was born. Things are different now. Forced marriages are no longer socially acceptable.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
From your link

The percentage of all births to unmarried women was 39.8% in 2016, a 1% decline from the 2015 percentage of 40.3% and the lowest level since 2007 (10). The percentage of all births to unmarried women peaked in 2009 at 41.0% (10). In 2016, the percentage of nonmarital births varied widely among race and Hispanic-origin groups, from 12.0% for non-Hispanic Asian mothers to 69.8% for non-Hispanic black mothers (Table 9). The number of nonmarital births decreased by less than 1% from 2015 (1,601,527) to 2016 (1,596,796).

Compositional differences by race and Hispanic origin and maternal age among states are major contributing factors to the geographic variation in the percentage of births to unmarried mothers (Table I–7). The percentages ranged from less than one in five births in Utah (18.6%) to more than one-half of births in Louisiana, Mississippi, and New Mexico.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
From your link

The percentage of all births to unmarried women was 39.8% in 2016, a 1% decline from the 2015 percentage of 40.3% and the lowest level since 2007 (10). The percentage of all births to unmarried women peaked in 2009 at 41.0% (10). In 2016, the percentage of nonmarital births varied widely among race and Hispanic-origin groups, from 12.0% for non-Hispanic Asian mothers to 69.8% for non-Hispanic black mothers (Table 9). The number of nonmarital births decreased by less than 1% from 2015 (1,601,527) to 2016 (1,596,796).

Compositional differences by race and Hispanic origin and maternal age among states are major contributing factors to the geographic variation in the percentage of births to unmarried mothers (Table I–7). The percentages ranged from less than one in five births in Utah (18.6%) to more than one-half of births in Louisiana, Mississippi, and New Mexico.

What does that have to do with what he said?

As Vic said, it is largely poverty, not race that is the cause of this:
https://www.usnews.com/news/newsgra...reau-links-poverty-with-out-of-wedlock-births

Coupling statistics for the percentage of women without a high school degree in a state and the state's median income "explains about 67 percent" of out-of-wedlock births, according to the report.

Do you want to reconsider your position that it’s something unique to black culture?

In general it’s been interesting to see that logic fall apart as I mentioned before. As rural white poverty becomes entrenched and generational we are seeing many of the same problems people used to try to chalk up to ‘black culture’, just in white people. Oddly enough we don’t get think pieces on white culture now.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Yes, I absolutely believe so. If Obama championed conservative causes, said the things Trump said, killed the GOP competitors in the primary debates and ran over Hillary in the debates, yes, he would have been elected in my opinion. And the Democrats would STILL be accusing the right of racism (while the left is actually the ones that manufacture it).

This man is not well. Encourage him to get help.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
It is because the Democrats today fool people into a victim mentality so they can earn their votes pretending to be the great savior of said victim.
You mean like all those scary brown people coming across the border taking your lives, jobs and country...ooops, wrong party

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
You mean like all those scary brown people coming across the border taking your lives, jobs and country...ooops, wrong party

You leftist racists are the ones that manufacture the racism. "Scary brown people" is manufactured by you. Our problematic border happens to be to the south with Mexico. If we had as much trouble on the northern border I'd feel the same about the border there. Wanting a secure southern border has nothing to do with keeping brown people out, it has to do with keeping unvetted people out, many of which happen to be brown. This isn't about race, but you racists will manufacture that part and keep a false narrative going. This is exactly an example of what I was talking about... creating victims.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You leftist racists are the ones that manufacture the racism. "Scary brown people" is manufactured by you. Our problematic border happens to be to the south with Mexico. If we had as much trouble on the northern border I'd feel the same about the border there. Wanting a secure southern border has nothing to do with keeping brown people out, it has to do with keeping unvetted people out, many of which happen to be brown. This isn't about race, but you racists will manufacture that part and keep a false narrative going. This is exactly an example of what I was talking about... creating victims.

Can you give us any current examples where you think conservatives have been racist?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Interesting, not one single, solitary thing?

I for one am shocked.

I assume you're talking about today? If so, then I stand by what I said. I am not shocked that someone like you, that can't understand the difference between equality and privilege doesn't get it. By the way, are you still for racist hiring programs like affirmative action?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Haha you lying little troll. I have a 18 page thread with your so called "leftist invented racism". Try educating yourself. However if you can find instances of black people using police to harass white people just for existing fell free.
https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...d-modified-to-all-purpose-harassment.2545608/

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Haha you lying little troll. I have a 18 page thread with your so called "leftist invented racism". Try educating yourself. However if you can find instances of black people using police to harass white people just for existing fell free.
https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...d-modified-to-all-purpose-harassment.2545608/

The police were called by someone that was wrong, the police questioned the suspect, determined nothing was out of the ordinary and left and went on they're merry way? Like that CNN spin. Manufacture racism, make headlines, get ad revenue.

OMG, the police asked her for her ID. The fucking horror!

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The police were called by someone that was wrong, the police questioned the suspect, determined nothing was out of the ordinary and left and went on they're merry way? Like that CNN spin. Manufacture racism, make headlines, get ad revenue.
So let me get this straight, law enforcement was used against black people based on racism but because the scary black people didn't get arrested, beaten up or killed it's not racism??

I think your own bullshit even confuses you. Clearly you did not bother to read these accounts. Why would you when making shit up fits you personality so much better then truth telling.

Nov 8, 2012
I will say what is obvious. Our ancestors brought them here first in 1619. They were slaves until roughly 1865. For 250 years. Then for the next 100 years we had systemic discrimination. After discrimination was outlawed, it persisted to a lesser degree up to today.

Might any of that have to do with the socio-economic problems we see in the black community?

The problem I have with conservatives who criticize the black community and tell them to pull themselves up is that they had little to no opportunity for 350 years and conservatives think after 2 generations of diminished discrimination we should expect to see, what, socio-economic parity with white people? And if not, there must be something wrong with them. You don't get to kick someone over and over and over again then suddenly stop kicking them and demand that they stand up.

I don't disagree in the slightest with what you're saying.

I will ask this though - Is there a nation that you can think of - that is either dominated by black race - or that makes up a substantial minority (In the US they are roughly 15% of the population) where they are prospering quite well (not in the bottom rung)? I ask this as to look at that as an example and see what were missing and what we can mimic to try to address the problems.

I also understand that plenty of - say - African nations had their share of western imperialism thrust upon them that I'm sure made a difference.... But also keep in mind, it's not like other successful nations (e.g. China) didn't have imperialism thrust upon them.

Last edited: