Jesse Lee Peterson, a man of color, destroys white privilege.

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Where did I say that it isn't valid?

I wasn't ever questioning that blacks aren't sentenced to more than others for a similar crime. I'm simply stating that you can't throw a blanket on the subject and say "Well, it must be white racism." The issue is that you guys honestly need to stop drawing your own conclusions that the statistics clearly don't support. It was never meant to draw a conclusion as to what the causation is.

That's the thing though, the statistics DO support that. I'm not sure how much experience you have with stats but I have quite a bit. There will ALWAYS be variables you can't account for but the finding in this case is so large and so robust that it is very unlikely that race is not a factor. Furthermore multivariate analysis NEVER draws conclusions as to causation. For example research would never attempt to say that smoking causes cancer, it would simply say that they have found a large relationship between the two that's unexplained by other factors.

So yes, we can never know for certain but we can say what the evidence suggests, and it suggests racism.

The point is that there is a multitude of factors you need to account for - there are MANY different reasons why conclusions are made. Simply stating the world is racist doesn't solve the problem or assess what the culprit contributing factor is. Quick example could be our previous discussion: Blacks are substantially more likely to be single parents (most often from the father leaving). Do you think a judge would have more or less sympathy for someone taking care of a child or not? Again, that is one of MANY.

Just because every possible factor cannot be accounted for doesn't mean that the evidence isn't strong. For example in your case since single fathers are quite rare in both the black and white communities if single parenthood were the cause then disparities should largely disappear when it comes to male defendants. It does not.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Remember he used to be a middle of the road guy until Democrats went crazy. Also, white people are the real victims of racism.

I was a moderate left leaning person until the left jumped the shark. That is 100% true.

I was a victim of affirmative action racism, yes. That is 100% true.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I was a moderate left leaning person until the left jumped the shark. That is 100% true.

I was a victim of affirmative action racism, yes. That is 100% true.

It's weird that you keep repeating this lie even after being outed.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
More irony: The party that claims their opposition are a bunch of snowflake victims think they themselves are the victims of "reverse racism" "oppression of Christianity" and "reverse sexism."

Poor little broflakes.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
The reason people have been complaining for over 50 years because the Black community has had a huge gap for over 50 years. From your own article.

Why do you reckon that such a gap exists? Or for that matter, why is poverty higher in the black community?

If one thinks something is a problem, it's pointless to even discuss it without examining the causes because the vast majority of social problems cannot be solved without first knowing the cause.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Why do you reckon that such a gap exists? Or for that matter, why is poverty higher in the black community?

If one thinks something is a problem, it's pointless to even discuss it without examining the causes because the vast majority of social problems cannot be solved without first knowing the cause.

Too risky to do that in a thread. I will say it's not genetic to take that off the table.

Reactions: UglyCasanova

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Too risky to do that in a thread. I will say it's not genetic to take that off the table.

I will say what is obvious. Our ancestors brought them here first in 1619. They were slaves until roughly 1865. For 250 years. Then for the next 100 years we had systemic discrimination. After discrimination was outlawed, it persisted to a lesser degree up to today.

Might any of that have to do with the socio-economic problems we see in the black community?

The problem I have with conservatives who criticize the black community and tell them to pull themselves up is that they had little to no opportunity for 350 years and conservatives think after 2 generations of diminished discrimination we should expect to see, what, socio-economic parity with white people? And if not, there must be something wrong with them. You don't get to kick someone over and over and over again then suddenly stop kicking them and demand that they stand up.

Reactions: Victorian Gray

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Conservatives are making 60-70% of black kids born out of wedlock and never know their dads.

No. it isn't "conservatives." It's the entire history of the black experience in the America. The problem with conservatives is that they think there should be no social problems in this community which was abused for 350 years in America just because discrimination was formally outlawed in the 60's.

So why do you think there is such a high rate of births out of wedlock in the black community? It's either genetics or else it is something in the history of this community. It's nature or it's nurture. There's no third option.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I will say what is obvious. Our ancestors brought them here first in 1619. They were slaves until roughly 1865. For 250 years. Then for the next 100 years we had systemic discrimination. After discrimination was outlawed, it persisted to a lesser degree up to today.

Might any of that have to do with the socio-economic problems we see in the black community?

The problem I have with conservatives who criticize the black community and tell them to pull themselves up is that they had little to no opportunity for 350 years and conservatives think after 2 generations of diminished discrimination we should expect to see, what, socio-economic parity with white people? And if not, there must be something wrong with them. You don't get to kick someone over and over and over again then suddenly stop kicking them and demand that they stand up.

I don't disagree with any of that. I think there is more, but, I'm not willing to take the hit that I did last time. I think what you just outlined explains the majority of the issue.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
No. it isn't "conservatives." It's the entire history of the black experience in the America. The problem with conservatives is that they think there should be no social problems in this community which was abused for 350 years in America just because discrimination was formally outlawed in the 60's.

So why do you think there is such a high rate of births out of wedlock in the black community? It's either genetics or else it is something in the history of this community. It's nature or it's nurture. There's no third option.

It’s 100% nurture, except you’re trying to shift the burden off of them for the failures within their communities. And these are failures that by and large occurred after the civil rights era.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

It is because the Democrats today fool people into a victim mentality so they can earn their votes pretending to be the great savior of said victim.

Reactions: UglyCasanova