Jesse Jackson former congressman misused $750,000 in campaign funds

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-jackson-charges-20130215,0,319725.story

Jesse Jackson Jr. and his wife Sandi intend to plead guilty to federal charges alleging the former congressman misused $750,000 in campaign funds while she understated their income on tax returns for six years, their lawyers say.

Jackson Jr., 47, a Democrat from Chicago, was charged in a criminal information today with one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud, mail fraud and false statements. He faces up to five years in prison, a fine of up to $250,000 and other penalties.

Sandi Jackson was charged with one count of filing false tax returns. She faces up to three years in prison, a fine of up to $100,000 and other penalties.

Jackson Jr. is accused of diverting $750,000 in campaign funds for personal use.

/shocking i tell you shocking!

figured something was up when he didn't go to work for months. kinda surprised Sandi jackson is charged with something too. sucks for chicago though.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Taking 3/4 a million is punishable by up to a $250,000 fine?

Sounds legit.

:D +1

Doesn't it seem strange that although it's common knowledge that Republicans are greedy and Democrats are sleazy, it's always Democrat politicians stealing money and Republican politicians looking for anonymous gay sex?

sourn

Dec 26, 2012
:D +1

Doesn't it seem strange that although it's common knowledge that Republicans are greedy and Democrats are sleazy, it's always Democrat politicians stealing money and Republican politicians looking for anonymous gay sex?

Um were you high when writing that?

Though I do tend to agree (with the last part)

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Good. Corruption on either side of the aisle should be punishable by the death penalty.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
Can't be true, he is a congressman dedicated to helping the people and distributing wealth. (to himself)

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I guess he's one of the few that actually got caught. I'm not at all surprised by it being on of the Jesse Jackson bunch. Hope they do some jail time. With his district though, he'll probably get reelected anyway :D

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I live in IL. People are getting IOUs in the mail for their tax returns. It's nuts right now. It literally is a note that says they do not have the resources to pay the tax return at the moment.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
that's nothing. he is a amature.

A comptroller in the town of Dixon IL was just sentenced to stealing $53 million from the town

http://www.forbes.com/sites/walterp...crundwell-sentenced-to-19-12-years-in-prison/

Interesting that the thefts took place over a 20 year period. Even though Dixon is a small town (less than 16,000), its pretty amazing that there were no audits or other controls in place to stop this sooner...

No surprise then that the Economist has observed "OF ALL the states, Illinois seems the most blatant example of state finances gone awry.
for the Illinois pension system to be fully funded in 30 years, additional revenue equivalent to $1,907 per household would be required ... The sheer size of this figure, ... suggests that the state may not be able to tax its way out of the problem."

Have to wonder how much different Illinois finances would be if it didn't take 20 years to catch the politicians er thieves ...

Uno

Last edited:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Interesting that the thefts took place over a 20 year period. Even though Dixon is a small town (less than 16,000), its pretty amazing that there were no audits or other controls in place to stop this sooner...

No surprise then that the Economist has observed "OF ALL the states, Illinois seems the most blatant example of state finances gone awry.
for the Illinois pension system to be fully funded in 30 years, additional revenue equivalent to $1,907 per household would be required ... The sheer size of this figure, ... suggests that the state may not be able to tax its way out of the problem."

Have to wonder how much different Illinois finances would be if it didn't take 20 years to catch the thieves er politicians ...

Uno

lol i wonder how IL would (and the US) if there was no corruption. interesting "what if".

the fact it took 20 years to find out she was stealing millions a year is amazing. she had NO over site and total trust.

She got 20 years and she is I think 60 so if not a life sentence close to it as it should be.

she is also faceing 40 federal charge with each having (i think it is) 20 years. so yeah she is going to spend life in jail.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

She was the comptroller, so she was in control of all that,

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
She was the comptroller, so she was in control of all that,

"... the auditor likely should have raised a red flag about its weak internal controls. As both treasurer and comptroller, Crundwell held almost complete control over the city's bank accounts."

"That's Accounting 101, segregation of duties," Pope said. "The person that writes the checks isn't the person who deposits the checks."

--Chicago Tribune

This wasn't a sophisticated crime. If fact, if she hadn't been out for 12 weeks, she would probably still be on the job and still stealing.

She simply set up an extra bank account that only she could access. Moved the city's money into it. Moved the money out for her own purposes.

Separation of duties is something that no freshman accounting student should ever miss. Though, it looks like the audit firm will get its day in court.

Dixon sues audit firm for failing to detect comptroller's fraud

Uno