Jesse Jackson at it again, he wants the movie "Barbershop" re-cut b/c it's offensive to black leaders

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Or maybe he's just upset b/c they make fun of him in the movie:D Actually, I've seen the scene in question and don't see what the big deal is.

http://www.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?type=entertainmentnews&StoryID=1491261

The funny thing is, that in MY barbershop, we talk about the EXACT same things...including the fact that OJ is guilty, Rodney King shouldn't have been running from the cops anyway (but the beatdown was still unwarranted), and the fact that MLK like to run around with women.

More stories:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/people/88384_people25.shtml

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,10579,00.html?tnews

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/local/newyork/ny-2939078sep25,0,1829448.story?coll=ny-nyc-entertainment-headlines

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
I read this in the morning paper and gave it my usual reaction I give to Jesse stories:
rolleye.gif
Even more out there is this Reverend Horace L. Sheffield III who is the head of a few "string of letters" organizations that no one has heard of before that has been harrassing the president of XM Radio for months because they choose not to carry something called Word Network.
Upset XM Sat Radio CEO Hugh Panero Speaks to Supporters of The Word Outside.

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: BillGates
Can't we just put that guy to sleep? Good God....

Him along with Al Sharpton :D

Exactly, I forgot about him...

I guess all outspoken people/activists really bother me, but Jackson and Sharpton take the trophy.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Why African Americans would want either Rev. Jackson or Al Sharpton representing themselves is beyond me. All those to are capable of is hate mongering, whining and riot inciting. Lots of people who would possibly be sympathetic to a problem faced by African Americans plug their ears as soon as Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton open their mouth.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001

Exactly, I forgot about him...

I guess all outspoken people/activists really bother me, but Jackson and Sharpton take the trophy.

Don't forget Louis Farrakhan...

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
I want Jesse Jackson to be "re-cut" because I find his continuous existence to be offensive to sane people around the world.

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Does anybody besides Jackson's cronies actually like him, or WANT him to be crying about everything he perceives to be an injustice?

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
Why African Americans would want either Rev. Jackson or Al Sharpton representing themselves is beyond me. All those to are capable of is hate mongering, whining and riot inciting. Lots of people who would possibly be sympathetic to a problem faced by African Americans plug their ears as soon as Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton open their mouth.

The more important question is why these guys are somehow perceived as "black leaders"? You almost get the impression from the news media that American blacks all had a secret election where they picked these 2 guys as their spokesmen. The fact is they are no more representative of blacks in this country than Ralph Nadar, Rush Limbaugh, Pat Robertson or any other out there white guys you can think of represent "white" thinking whatever in the hell that is. If the news media would quit paying attention to all these loudmouths they might actually have to get real jobs.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Linflas

The more important question is why these guys are somehow perceived as "black leaders"? You almost get the impression from the news media that American blacks all had a secret election where they picked these 2 guys as their spokesmen. The fact is they are no more representative of blacks in this country than Ralph Nadar, Rush Limbaugh, Pat Robertson or any other out there white guys you can think of represent "white" thinking whatever in the hell that is. If the news media would quit paying attention to all these loudmouths they might actually have to get real jobs.

The only reason why JJ gets ANY press and is even KNOWN today is b/c he was with MLK when he got shot. Al Sharpton, I don't know where that "permed head" came from. I hadn't heard of him until recent years.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001

The only reason why JJ gets ANY press and is even KNOWN today is b/c he was with MLK when he got shot. Al Sharpton, I don't know where that "permed head" came from. I hadn't heard of him until recent years.

He surfaced during the Tawana Brawley brouhaha. Since then the NY media has kept him alive and strong.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

He surfaced during the Tawana Brawley brouhaha. Since then the NY media has kept him alive and strong.

He's been around locally (NYC) for many years before that.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
They should cut the scenes about MLK and Rosa Parks and add Jackson insults in their place.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The funny thing is, that in MY barbershop, we talk about the EXACT same things...including the fact that OJ is guilty, Rodney King shouldn't have been running from the cops anyway (but the beatdown was still unwarranted), and the fact that MLK like to run around with women.

I was reading this last night, and this really REALLY burns me up.
Jesse Jackson is peeved because of one fictional guy in a fictional barbershop who is basically a cynic.
He thinks that this should be covered up for god only knows what idiotic reason.

But the problem is that, as NFS4 points out, THERE ARE ACTUALLY PEOPLE WHO THINK THESE THINGS! Cutting from the movie just to preserve Jackson's oh-so-high morals is pointless! It's not going to change the world.

The delightful irony is that as a "Civil Rights Leader" Jackson and his cronies are supposedly out to defend the constitution that guarantees them equality, yet they would choose to ignore the freedom of speech that made them what they are today, because they don't like a joke in a movie.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: RossMAN

Don't forget Louis Farakkhan (sp).

The difference is that the news media does not seem to hang on every word that drops from Farrakhan's mouth the way they do with Jackson/Sharpton. With him they tend to wait for something they deem anti-semitic to splash him on the front pages.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: RossMAN

Don't forget Louis Farakkhan (sp).

The difference is that the news media does not seem to hang on every word that drops from Farrakhan's mouth the way they do with Jackson/Sharpton. With him they tend to wait for something they deem anti-semitic to splash him on the front pages.
the thing about farrakhan is that hes openly racist. whereas jesse jackson is out to make a buck.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I heard Jackson speak in 95', I disagreed with virtually everything he said, but he can really motivate a crowd. He ought to be quiet & take his lumps, he earned them fair & square.

The comment about Farrakhan brought to mind a comment a friend of mine made the other day, he's concerned about the growing # of converted Muslims in our prison system & the fact that they're disenfranchised by the system (convicted felons not being allowed to vote).

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000

In the immortal words of cashman, "Werd." I don't really have a problem with farrakhan, at least he doesn't say things like "Beware of da Bush" or make a big fuss out of the stupidest things that have to do with black people.