Jerry Falwell Jr. Appointed by Trump (Bannon) to lead Higher Ed "Task Force"

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Regardless, younger people are increasingly rejecting religion. The trend isn't reversing, IMO. Bannon can "condemn" it all he wants.
Younger people are also probably less critical thinkers than ever before. Yes, it is very anecdotal evidence on my part but from what I can see, whether you accept religion or reject it, as long as you are not an independent thinker, it doesn't matter.

So yes, the so-called educated people are not into traditional religions but they have their own flaws that prevent them from independent thinking. Many are programmed heavily by the America education system and thus only know how to regurgitate what they've been taught. They are not taught to question this corrupt system but rather how to modify it through politics. That way, this endless cycle of massive corruption will continue. It is designed that way.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
So yes, the so-called educated people are not into traditional religions but they have their own flaws that prevent them from independent thinking. Many are programmed heavily by the America education system and thus only know how to regurgitate what they've been taught. They are not taught to question this corrupt system but rather how to modify it through politics.

Total nonsense. It's absurd to conflate "programming" by educational institutions with "programming" by churches. One is based on the pursuit of truth through scientific inquiry, the other is based on willful ignorance based on belief alone.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Sure but programming is still programming. And the pursuit of truth cannot be done by only using one method and ignoring other methods. Men of science cannot reach the highest levels only through the physical. This is not to discredit them or what they do.

But yes, organized religion is purposefully created to lead people astray. It is designed to keep people asleep and dumbed down. And maybe even to create more fear and hate.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Around where I live just outside of NYC there have been multiple churches converted to condos with more to come. Just not as many young religious people out here supporting churches.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016

A more realistic script of that scene would have his wife dying without the MRI machine because she didn't have good enough insurance even though thousands of them lie mostly underutilized. Trump types took over the government and the crops failed because they were watering them with brawndo. Interstellar was really meant as a prequel to idiocracy.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Younger people are also probably less critical thinkers than ever before. Yes, it is very anecdotal evidence on my part but from what I can see, whether you accept religion or reject it, as long as you are not an independent thinker, it doesn't matter.

So yes, the so-called educated people are not into traditional religions but they have their own flaws that prevent them from independent thinking. Many are programmed heavily by the America education system and thus only know how to regurgitate what they've been taught. They are not taught to question this corrupt system but rather how to modify it through politics. That way, this endless cycle of massive corruption will continue. It is designed that way.

The point of using somewhat strict texts in schools is to get through the massive body of human knowledge as efficiently as possible. If anything it's biased in the exact opposite direction to your claim, towards reaching for the edges of truth (like grad school+), which is needlessly academic for most.

Eg. there's the one relatively straightforward/mechanical way to master algebra for the masses, which is needed for calc, which is needed for physics, etc. Generally the trend over time has been more abstract reasoning in the curriculum, the exact opposite of regurgitation. This is likely a primary cause for the Flynn effect, ie increased iq over said time.

I understand what you're getting at, that students should be encouraged to ask questions even of the pedagogical process, but oftentimes answers are relatively mundane.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Who's creationism do you teach?
Is beachfront property in West Va a pro?
Shouldn't masturbation also be taught as part of sex ed? No diseases or pregnancies.

The religious studies faculty can decide on which classes to include creationism in and from what religions. Split it up into Western or Eastern, or whatever.

Beachfront property is West Va is not a pro. In fact I think any property in West Va is not a pro. What I meant by saying pros and cons of climate change is teach the fact that it is indeed agreed upon by the vast majority of the scientific community, the pros, but there are dissenters, the cons, and these are their points.

I don't remember getting sex ed classes until well after I was already masturbating but sure, there can be a short segment on masturbating. It's part of sex ed.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
It's embarrassing how far over Trump is bending for the evangelicals.

Killing the Johnson amendment is a horrible idea.