Jen Psaki is the worst press secretary in the last 20+ years

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
As someone who has testified at a state legislature I will say that "I'll find out" and it's many variants (of which, "I'll circle back" would be included) is a perfectly cromulent response that embiggens us all.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Regardless, I'll note your reply as understanding exactly what I'm saying - since you're clearly accepting of what I'm saying that "I'll circle back" is a bullshit answer that CEOs/CFOs/VPs and anyone with half a brain - won't put up with.

I guess the POTUS isn't on the tier of CEO/CFO/VP... Kind of walked yourself right into that one.

MixMasterTang

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
I personally have a lot more respect for someone who says "I don't know, but I'll find out" than someone that just makes crap up off the top of their head to give the impression of knowledge and confidence.

Naturally this would be a problem if the person never actually goes back and tries to find out, but it sounds like the office of the press secretary does actually get back around to providing some sort of answer to reporters, its just not right there in front of the camera.

Please do not contribute to the dumbing down of America and the instant gratification culture. Sometimes the right answer takes time and no one can prep for the nearly infinite number of questions they will receive.

I've been in I.T. consulting for 20+ years, the first thing I do is teach the new guys "I don't know" is the worst thing you can say, but saying "I don't know, but I'll find out" is 100% acceptable and even more so with the OP's complaint of saying "Let me get back to you". Any other answer is unacceptable because either a) you're lying or b) you're telling them you don't care enough to research it and get back with them.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
lol as someone that works in the big-boy world, thats precisely how it works. A fucking CEO/CFO/VP doesn't want to hear "I'll circle back". They want to hear "I don't know". They are 2 very distinct different things. One is assertive and accurate - the other is a bullshit answer.

You clearly work in the subordinate world young padawan ;)

LMAO. You are such a clueless C student pissant. Big boy world making “big” $150k as you like to brag about, as if that is real money. That’s subordinate money.

Hint: if you are ever presenting your technical work to a four star general like I do, I highly recommend not treating them like you think CEOs want to be treated. They will take your “I don’t know” and shove it up your fat ass.

Last edited:

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
lol as someone that works in the big-boy world, thats precisely how it works. A fucking CEO/CFO/VP doesn't want to hear "I'll circle back". They want to hear "I don't know". They are 2 very distinct different things. One is assertive and accurate - the other is a bullshit answer.

You clearly work in the subordinate world young padawan ;)
your so full of shit! You are holging everybody who has been appointed by Biden to a higher standard than any other press secretary! ALL OF TRUMPS PRESS SECRETARIES WERE LIARS!

Nov 8, 2012
I guess the POTUS isn't on the tier of CEO/CFO/VP... Kind of walked yourself right into that one.

No - it really isn't POTUS is paid 400k based entirely on how many idiots you can get to choose between a giant douche or a turd sandwich. A CEO has massive more selection based on board of directors, tons of interviews, tons of checks, etc... And they get paid massively more.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The press secretary's role is to make what is spicy vanilla and to make vanilla disappear.

This is just her cadence.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
No - it really isn't POTUS is paid 400k based entirely on how many idiots you can get to choose between a giant douche or a turd sandwich. A CEO has massive more selection based on board of directors, tons of interviews, tons of checks, etc... And they get paid massively more.
Is your mail order wife in danger?

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Is your mail order wife in danger?

She probably killed herself after a day with him.

Or she realized he couldn't support them on his low wages and found a real man, leaving him to cry into his 1-ply toilet paper because he couldn't afford tissues.

Reactions: Leeea

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
She probably killed herself after a day with him.

Or she realized he couldn't support them on his low wages and found a real man, leaving him to cry into his 1-ply toilet paper because he couldn't afford tissues.
When n0b0dy started his tirades the other day it was like 2 or 3 new threads shitting on women. Conservatives project, so I'm concerned about her. Not to mention the picture he posted like 5 posts up.

Reactions: jman19 and vaca233

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Can we chill with the personal attacks, please? Your ability to get a spouse has no bearing on this discussion.

At any rate: harping on "I'll circle back" (Psaki didn't even use that once in her latest briefing, as I recall) versus other variants is pedantic. The point is that Psaki doesn't make something up or attack reporters, and that we can tell is making a good faith effort to address questions later even if she can't answer on the spot. That makes her exponentially better than any Trump press sec, and possibly an improvement over other secretaries from the past 20-ish years.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Exactly, and thus the answer isn't "I'll circle back" the answer is "I don't know".

I'll circle back is from someone weak-minded that doesn't actually circle-back and just doesn't want to give a negative (AKA a "no" ) answer.

-At that point I guess the issue is a semantic, not substantiative one.

"I'll circle back to that" and the providing the answer post briefing to the reporter is just "I don't know,let me find out" using a different set of words.

If you don't like the words and the phrasing, that's fine, but just be upfront about it.

Nov 8, 2012
-At that point I guess the issue is a semantic, not substantiative one.

"I'll circle back to that" and the providing the answer post briefing to the reporter is just "I don't know,let me find out" using a different set of words.

If you don't like the words and the phrasing, that's fine, but just be upfront about it.

Can you cite where in the 50+ instances where she has instituted her "I'll circle back" that she has actually circled back - and fully answered the question? I think she has done it once or twice publicly on a subsequent press briefing - but you (and multiple others) have insinuated that she has done so privately inbetween. Can you cite any reasonable number of answers based on the number of times that she has said she will "circle back" ?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Can you cite where in the 50+ instances where she has instituted her "I'll circle back" that she has actually circled back - and fully answered the question? I think she has done it once or twice publicly on a subsequent press briefing - but you (and multiple others) have insinuated that she has done so privately inbetween. Can you cite any reasonable number of answers based on the number of times that she has said she will "circle back" ?
Seeing as we are not privy to all white house communications, that's impossible to prove whether she has answered all those questions or not. "circling back" could simply (and very easily) be in the form of an email to the entire press corps, which they might subsequently include in a news article.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Seeing as we are not privy to all white house communications, that's impossible to prove whether she has answered all those questions or not. "circling back" could simply (and very easily) be in the form of an email to the entire press corps, which they might subsequently include in a news article.

I get a kick outta his full on projection that D's prefer feels over facts.

After 4 years of outright egregious lying, a press secretary who doesn't just lie and call questions "nasty" because it hurts their feels is quite refreshing.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

I'm really starting to wonder if you're a parody account.

Let's survey the pool of reasonable contenders for President in 2020. Michael Bloomberg, Andrew Yang, Tom Steyer, Donald Trump....

Reactions: dank69

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Exactly, and thus the answer isn't "I'll circle back" the answer is "I don't know".

I'll circle back is from someone weak-minded that doesn't actually circle-back and just doesn't want to give a negative (AKA a "no" ) answer.

Speaking of incredibly stupid phrases that only weak-minded idiots say:
Only someone with half a brain would say that.

anyway, how the hell did you come to this conclusion? It's clear that you just invented some nonsense out of whole cloth in order to argue against it.

Reactions: Meghan54

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Never using "I don't know" and instead using something like "I will find out" is corporate communications 101. Everyone knows this. Go back to typing numbers in Excel like you are some sort of autistic genius.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Just remember, in the OP s0me0nesmind1 said "You might not have liked the press secretaries of Trump, GWB, etc... or what they said, but they simply were never this incompetent."

Shawn Spicer - one of his goals as press secretary was to present the "caring and gracious" side of Trump to the public. Started out by lying saying the Trump inauguration drew the largest audience to witness an inauguration. Spicer then added that his intention was to never lie to the press. After he left the post he admitted screwing up often while in that job.

Sarah Sanders - lied a lot to the press. Notably that the "president in no way, form or fashion has ever promoted or encouraged violence." While interviewed by the Mueller Special Counsel investigation, she admitted to investigators that she had made false statements to the public as press secretary. Probably would have been worse if she hadn't pretty much stopped having press briefings.

Stephanie Grisham - what can I say. She held no press briefings during her almost a year in the post. At least she wasn't lying on a daily basis. I have no idea what, if anything, she was doing.

Kayleigh McEnany - in her 1st press briefing she promised not to lie, and then did little else. There isn't a lot more that can be said about her.

According to s0me0nesmind1, Jen Psaki's horrible incompetence seems to lie in the fact that she says "I'll Circle Back." And that makes her WORSE than all of the above.

'nuff said.

Last edited: