Jeff Bezos to step down as CEO of Amazon, to be replaced by AWS chief Andy Jassy

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
@bbhaag
@brycejones

Ok, guys, the ref is stepping in. Return to your respective corners and stifle, as in, Both of you, let this go. The next guy who doesn't gets infracted.

Perknose
Forum Director

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Eh, I think you’re missing the point. I would agree that the degree of product innovation has changed at Apple. But Apple still makes excellent products that are not only desirable and market makers/market leaders, but also extremely profitable.

The iPhone is by far the market leader in the developed world, and only lags Android in developing markets because they were slower to introduce new phones in those markets and didn’t benefit from a large entrenched user base. They’re also the #1 camera brand.

The Apple Watch owns the category—I wouldn’t be surprised if they own at least 90% of the profits in the smart wearables category. Same goes for the iPad in the tablet/detachable laptop category.

Yes, it’s been a while since their last big “one more thing”, but I’d say the M1 is a pretty big innovation by itself, nevermind the products it enables (fanless 20 hour battery life ultraportables with fast cores.)
Edit: Good read on why the M1 is so much faster than the competition: https://www.engadget.com/apple-m1-upscaled-133046858.html

And while innovation has slowed, at least they’re not burning cash on failed products/moonshots like Google. Jury is still out on Apple TV Plus and they’re still working out the kinks on HomePod, but it’s probably a good thing they killed off their car for now.

If I were to offer any criticism, I’d say they’re too reliant on walled garden App Store revenues and I’m not sure the EU or even FTC/DoJ will let that continue indefinitely. Also, iCloud and Siri are definite laggards compared with their peers.
Just don't EVER forget your master password!!!

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Heh it's kind of interesting that a man like him would choose to step down because normally they don't. Does anyone think he has a terminal illness like Jobs did and that's the reason?
Could be any number of things, but I dont think that. I think he realizes he is not going to do another factor 1000x with amazon and the race for king is in space. I'd put my money on Bezos vs. Musk in the coming decade for space dominance... And Bezos is soooo behind. The next year will be interesting. It is going to show if Bezos is made of that plasticity stuff.. can he adapt.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Android SOCs are just now surpassing my old 2+ year old iPhone XS.

On the bleeding edge my iPhone 12Pro I can take 3D LIDAR images which is exciting as I may be able to use it to generate .STL files for 3D printing.

And I know I’ll get at least 4-5 software upgrades if I keep it long enough.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Could be any number of things, but I dont think that. I think he realizes he is not going to do another factor 1000x with amazon and the race for king is in space. I'd put my money on Bezos vs. Musk in the coming decade for space dominance... And Bezos is soooo behind. The next year will be interesting. It is going to show if Bezos is made of that plasticity stuff.. can he adapt.
Pretty much this. Amazon is $1.688 trillion. Amazon made it and by stepping down as CEO, Bezos has convenient excuse to increase his pace of selling of Amazon shares.

Blue Origin is way behind SpaceX even though technically Bezos started BO before Musk started SpaceX. Both are private companies right now but both will be public in the future. Blue Origin needs to hurry up and get a rocket up into orbit so they can launch competing Starlink service. If not, Musk and SpaceX will crush Blue Origin. Space satellite internet service is the future. Starlink is what's going to power SpaceX to trillion dollar valuation. Bezos knows this and that's why he's going to focus on Blue Origin so he can stop and compete with Musk and SpaceX.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Pretty much this. Amazon is $1.688 trillion. Amazon made it and by stepping down as CEO, Bezos has convenient excuse to increase his pace of selling of Amazon shares.

Blue Origin is way behind SpaceX even though technically Bezos started BO before Musk started SpaceX. Both are private companies right now but both will be public in the future. Blue Origin needs to hurry up and get a rocket up into orbit so they can launch competing Starlink service. If not, Musk and SpaceX will crush Blue Origin. Space satellite internet service is the future. Starlink is what's going to power SpaceX to trillion dollar valuation. Bezos knows this and that's why he's going to focus on Blue Origin so he can stop and compete with Musk and SpaceX.
We might be cheering SpaceX on right now cause of the MASSIVE leaps in technology that is being made but we also know that without competition this is going to face a full on stop at some point.

Here is hoping for competition.

(as a side note, this is why i'm in spce, spce is certainly not going to be a major player but it will ride on the backs of those that are)

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
It really is a spent space for innovation, at least at the moment. Maybe if they actually get the folding tech to work well, which I am skeptical of. I recently replaced my iphone X with an iphone 12 and while it's better, the difference isn't that big and that's 3 years of accumulated improvements.

6 to 11 made a HUGE improvement for camera quality.

Shame that masks have destroyed facial recognition.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
So, Amazon just bought MGM for $8.45 billion, which they say is twice what it's worth.

There's a theory going around that the reason is because MGM evidently owns all the outtakes to "The Apprentice."

Seems an unlikely theory, but will be highly amused if those outtakes get released and there's Trump spouting n-words with his mushroom dick hanging out in front of the female contestants.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
So, Amazon just bought MGM for $8.45 billion, which they say is twice what it's worth.

There's a theory going around that the reason is because MGM evidently owns all the outtakes to "The Apprentice."

Seems an unlikely theory, but will be highly amused if those outtakes get released and there's Trump spouting n-words with his mushroom dick hanging out in front of the female contestants.

Rachel Maddow mentioned the Apprentice outtakes possibility a couple of nights ago when the deal was announced. as for Bezos paying a $4.225 billion premium for that, that's just absurd, Amazon desperately needs to content to compete with Disney and Netflix.

as i understand it, Mark Burnett's company that owns all that footage, is under the MGM umbrella and it's possible it was cut out from the Amazon buyout.