Jeff Bezos to step down as CEO of Amazon, to be replaced by AWS chief Andy Jassy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
It really is a spent space for innovation, at least at the moment. Maybe if they actually get the folding tech to work well, which I am skeptical of. I recently replaced my iphone X with an iphone 12 and while it's better, the difference isn't that big and that's 3 years of accumulated improvements.
I went from an iphone 11 pro to a oneplus 7 pro to a pixel 4a 5g. I don't even notice that the Pixel is way slower, Apple's SoC's feel like a waste in their phone but I don't really play games which I imagine would be a big difference.

Nov 8, 2012
As IronWing mentioned, compare Apple's SoC to every other smartphone SoC. And for good measure, compare it to desktop CPUs. Then come back and tell us that Apple is 1-2 generations behind Android. In general, there isn't a ton of true innovation going on with smartphones; it's a very mature product class. Slapping more cameras on a year before Apple does isn't innovation either, nor does it make your phone a "generation" better. As for software features, both Apple and Google iterate annually but the platforms aren't moving the needle much. In the past, Android software was ahead in some ways and that gap has been bridged.

To say that every new feature on iPhone came from Android a generation or two ago is just a silly, unsubstantiated opinion. But this is P&N, and you be you. I wouldn't expect anything less.

No, you make very valid points. I agree that smartphones are a very mature product class now - but that was my point earlier of...
1) They are STILL their biggest revenue by product - BY FAR
2) We are now shifting from people buying a new phone every 1-2 years, to now maybe every 3-4 years.

This is ultimately going to result in a slow and gradual downflow until they innovate - which I would wager that they won't.

At this point it's more feature based with things like different camera features, figner print authentication, face authentication, etc... I can agree with that. My point was whenever I see a new ad or release from Apple - they are trying to drive things like those "new" features, when they have already been done by other platforms.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Their technology is always 1-2 generations behind Android as far as phone. The same can be said for all their other shit attempts at products - Apple Watch, their tablet, etc...

I can't agree with this...
  1. iPhones may lack some features, but that can often occur for different reasons...
    1. The feature isn't mature enough. This is what typically delays features by 1-2 generations. Although, it seems like Apple should've delayed 5G one more generation given some of the battery drain woes that I've heard about.
    2. Apple wants to work on its own implementation to follow its vertical integration pattern.
  2. iPad still represents one of the better tablet options around. The only competition that they see is on the extremely low end from companies like Amazon, or on the high end from options like the Surface tablet.
  3. I'd argue that there isn't a good watch out there that can compete with the Apple Watch in terms of features. This is largely due to Android-based manufacturers relying so heavily on third parties for SoCs, and Qualcomm's offerings of wearable-compatible SoCs is pretty bad.
    1. Of course, you can get a "lesser" watch if the Apple Watch is just too much for what you want. There's nothing wrong with that!
  4. I don't believe that AirPods invented the idea of a separated, case-based IEM setup, but I think it's safe to say that they pushed the industry in that way to where it's very common to see IEMs with that setup. Also, the ANC in the AirPods Pro is considered quite good (for an IEM).
Also, I think the one thing that Apple tries to push is the overall ecosystem. For example, one upcoming upgrade in iOS 14.5 is that they will allow you to unlock your phone with your Apple Watch if the phone detects you're wearing a mask via Face ID. There's also the idea that AirPods can swap between devices without having to manually pair them with each swap.

Reactions: manly

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Once you drink the KoolAid and buy into Apple ecosystem, it's hard to escape and is very sticky. Their Service Revenue is extremely high and that's credit to Tim Cook. It's big part of Apple business now. I would never count out Apple for future growth. All their existing product lines are healthy with strong future pipelines and they still have the Apple Car, Project Titan they're working on. While Apple is rarely first, they have lot of resources to enter a market and dominate. Apple growth story is far from over. Just like Amazon. Both are extremely well run companies. And that's credit to the CEOs.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
They really don't - and it's hilariously comical that you SAY that - but for some odd reason don't oblige to mention any examples.

Every single feature that is released on an iPhone is something that was done on an android 1 or 2 generations back.

You didn't mention any examples either, you just said "every single feature" which isn't true, but it sounds good to you I'm sure.

I set up a Macbook for a friend and when I added their account the 3 W2 devices they have automatically popped up. And are all paired without them having to do anything. What was Android 2 generations before this same feature? And that's just 1 feature. While there are others, I already disproved your every single feature nonsense. And W2's from like the iPhone 6 days so it's old. Android still doesn't have anything like this.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Don’t much care what Bizos does. Doesent strike me as spiritually driven. But I am hopping that Apple destroys ad driven social media.

Reactions: hal2kilo

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I share a similar perspective with ivwshane.

The overall product, revisions, and innovations have taken a nosedive.

Their technology is always 1-2 generations behind Android as far as phone. The same can be said for all their other shit attempts at products - Apple Watch, their tablet, etc...

They have amassed a cult of follower though - which is what they hinge on and will continue to milk for as long as possible of course. But long term, they are a dying breed. Their last innovation was the iPhone - which is now almost 15 years old. It's still where the bulk of their revenue is. FIFTEEN years later. Adapt or die. Were at a point where everyone no longer gets a new phone every 1-2 years, hence why they stopped listing their iPhone numbers in earnings.

Eh, I think you’re missing the point. I would agree that the degree of product innovation has changed at Apple. But Apple still makes excellent products that are not only desirable and market makers/market leaders, but also extremely profitable.

The iPhone is by far the market leader in the developed world, and only lags Android in developing markets because they were slower to introduce new phones in those markets and didn’t benefit from a large entrenched user base. They’re also the #1 camera brand.

The Apple Watch owns the category—I wouldn’t be surprised if they own at least 90% of the profits in the smart wearables category. Same goes for the iPad in the tablet/detachable laptop category.

Yes, it’s been a while since their last big “one more thing”, but I’d say the M1 is a pretty big innovation by itself, nevermind the products it enables (fanless 20 hour battery life ultraportables with fast cores.)
Edit: Good read on why the M1 is so much faster than the competition: https://www.engadget.com/apple-m1-upscaled-133046858.html

And while innovation has slowed, at least they’re not burning cash on failed products/moonshots like Google. Jury is still out on Apple TV Plus and they’re still working out the kinks on HomePod, but it’s probably a good thing they killed off their car for now.

If I were to offer any criticism, I’d say they’re too reliant on walled garden App Store revenues and I’m not sure the EU or even FTC/DoJ will let that continue indefinitely. Also, iCloud and Siri are definite laggards compared with their peers.

Last edited:
Reactions: manly

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Heh it's kind of interesting that a man like him would choose to step down because normally they don't. Does anyone think he has a terminal illness like Jobs did and that's the reason?

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
He wants to spend more time with his new squeeze, Lauren. Did you know she's a helo pilot. She had her lips puffed up but I like his jacket.

GettyImages-1200028560-e1580764251125.jpg

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Heh it's kind of interesting that a man like him would choose to step down because normally they don't. Does anyone think he has a terminal illness like Jobs did and that's the reason?
What the hell is this? A guy runs his company for 27 years and retires at the top, so the next logical thought is a terminal disease? Other tech CEOs have stepped down before retirement age for various reasons, including some titans such as Bill Gates or Eric Schmidt, who are alive and well.
I don't know much about Bezos, but it's kind of a genius move to go from 0 to $1.7T market cap on his watch. That record could stand for a long time, Elon Musk notwithstanding.

As for Lauren Sanchez, Bezos (Bozos?) gave up 1/4 of his net worth to his former wife for the affair/divorce. Most expensive piece of tail ever? Sanchez is known within L.A. local news circles, but talk about a butterface. Certainly the richest guy on the planet could do better. :p

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
It isn’t normal except for the other men who have done it? You know this guy named Bill Gates?

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Heh ok guys I guess I was wrong.....for just posing a question I guess....I didn't post it as gospel or even really think it myself I was just throwin out there for something to think about as a possibility maybe.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Heh ok guys I guess I was wrong.....for just posing a question I guess....I didn't post it as gospel or even really think it myself I was just throwin out there for something to think about as a possibility maybe.
Hey guys I was throwing something out there to think about without any evidence. Taylor Green at least put some deeper reasoning behind Jewish Space Lasers setting California on fire than you did proposing the idea that Bezos quit because he is dying. Don’t become a conspiracy theorist.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Ok bro sounds good...here's an idea though. Why don't you calm down. No conspiracy was implied it was just a "hey what if" kinda thing.....jesus...

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Ok bro sounds good...here's an idea though. Why don't you calm down. No conspiracy was implied it was just a "hey what if" kinda thing.....jesus...
Oh bull shit bro.

hey guys bbhaag is pondering terminal illnesses do you think he might have one? It’s justa question and nothing is meant by it.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Look son I know it's hard for you to think about things objectively but trust me you're barking up the wrong tree on this one. Just let it go.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Look son I know it's hard for you to think about things objectively but trust me you're barking up the wrong tree on this one. Just let it go.
Lol, look if you don’t like your baseless posts being called out as baseless maybe you shouldn’t post them. You objectively posted national enquirer level of speculation.