Jeep Grand Cherokee's suck

Sachmho

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2001
Hey just to let you all know, and warn potential buyers, a friend of mine's dad owns an auto repair place thats fairly nice, and we were talking and he was telling me how by far the car that is most frequently in for repairs is the Grand Cherokee. It just gets all sorts of problems. He joked that Jeep is keeping their business alive. Just a warning to you all, as i have also heard many bad things in reviews such as in consumer reports.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Yeah...but those suburban lemmings will keep flocking to their dealers to buy one so they can keep up appearances at their kid's soccer practice.

erub

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
my uncle has a solution - as a Jeep dealer, he simply changes his every 6K miles, hehe..they are really great cars, and the Overland version is fast too! I have no idea of their reliability as you approach 100K miles, but some will probably call me spoiled if I say I don't ever want to drive a car close to that mileage...

JACKHAMMER

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< but some will probably call me spoiled if I say I don't ever want to drive a car close to that mileage... >>

very spoiled

amb#cog

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2000

<< Jeep Grand Cherokee's suck >>

I concour in spades. :)

You can add the Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable to the same list according to my buddy who owns an auto repair place, and the insurance guy I talked to there who said they pay out for at least a half dozen jobs that involve the heads (gaskets, whole heads, etc.) a month, and the trannies too.

Tominator

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< You can add the Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable to the same list according to my buddy who owns an auto repair place >>

I know a few Folks that own their own shops and they know as much about reliability as anyone else.....that is only their personal experience and in this case clouded by their lack of knowledge about a particular model.

The Taurus/Sable line has a sterling reliability rating compared to it's domestic competition!

I stay away from shops that go around complaining about this or that model. When thew screw up due to their lack of mechanical know how they just blaim the car!

Murpheeee

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2000
How about a regular Jeep Cherokee?
I am 3/4 of the way through my lease on one......couple of problems fixed under warranty inc. new fuel pump and repairing seal on connector to gas tank twice.

Your thinking and statement is flawed.
You are accepting his statement as fact when it is not.
First off,you are taking all the info from one repair facility in one part of the country.
If you want a real figure on mechanical problems,take a survey from at least 20 repair facilities in each state.

Second,all the vehicles sold here in the US are not evenly distributed,a lot of the four wheel drive vehicles end up in the snow belt and a lot of the convertables end up in the sun belt.This mere fact will skew any poll taken.(Say there are 25,000 more jeeps in Michigan than in California,Michigan is going to have a higher repair rate due to the sheer numbers of Jeeps in that state)

Third,different states have different repair rates (Some states have a higher repair rate) due to the fact of the driving habits,road conditions and weather conditions of that particular state.

Fourth,The economy of that certain state can and will dictate the repair rate because of wealth,rich people are more likely to keep there cars in excellent repair compared to the less rich which will raise the repair rate of certain vehicles while others will have a lower rate of repair.

Fifth,The actual percieved value of a vehicle will also dictate repair rates,a less expensive car will visit the repair facility less often than an expensive car because that particular car is less valuable and the owners are less likely to spend more money on it's upkeep than a car that has a higher value.

I have been in the repair business for 21 years now and the only way to reliably judge a vehicles reliability is by T.S.B.'s (Technical Service Bullitens) which are published by the auto manufactures under federal law.These T.S.B.'s can be purchased at your dealership for a small fee.

TopGun

Nov 5, 1999
Murpheeee, I have a regular Cherokee Laredo, 1992. 182k miles and it runs perfectly, never had any major repairs. Usually, if you can keep the body in good shape and do regular maintinence on the engine it will easily run 300k-400k miles, especially with the 4L inline 6 engine. I don't have any experiance with the grands, but I would be careful about basing my decision on a vehicle from just one persons experiance/opinion.

bigshot

Feb 13, 2001
I used to have a jeep cherokee limited backa few years ago (not the grand)

the thing wnet through two transmissions in 3 years cost me a lot of money

they are not reliable and things tend to break on them often

i swear ill never buy another chrysler product again (had huge probelms with their dynasty years ago too)

Option1

Jan 1, 2002
Roger put it best. Although I wonder if there are more SUVs in Michigan than California. The damn things are on the road everywhere here [edit]in California[/edit]. Seemingly they are almost all driven by moms on cell phones who got their licence from the back of a rice crispies packet or guys with the weird belief that bigger the car the safer you are who also got their licence from the same source.

I split my sides laughing at the morons who buy their big wugged wuff tuff SUV for their macho LL Bean-wearing image with TWO WHEEL DRIVE. Really they need to get both a life and a car instead of a truck.

Neil

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
i love my jeep too...

no repair of any type under the hood....
94 GC

and unlike average people... mine goes off road and up/down mountains all the time.

maybe i'm just lucky?

slunk

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
My dad's on his second GC, and there have been no problems with either. I love driving those Jeeps, but I, myself, would never buy an SUV. My Mustang is a completely different story, though. Piece of sh;t!