Jeebus: 10% of Washington DC Residents are Addicts

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
How many of the polititians are included in those ststistics?
would their inclusion increase or decrease that percentage ?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I'm not surprised, DC is such a hole. At least in Baltimore we didn't elect a crackhead for mayor.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

Touche... in my defense, I've only lived in the area for the last 3 years.

Wasn't he also in the news just awhile ago? Something about a traffic cop writing him a parking ticket and noticed a 'white powder' on the wheel and arm rest? Yeah, good one DC.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Jeebus: 10% of Washington DC Residents are Addicts
After viewing some of the decisions originating from D.C. over the years, one could logically conclude that the percentage is considerably higher.

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Good to see everyone eagerly addressing the problem.

We could address it with the failed policies of the past--wage a proverbial war on supply; or, we could address this from an economic perspective and attack the demand-side of the equation...or we could just raise taxes, since they are the end-all, cure-all for all of our woes :) ...throw more money at it, Uncle Sam.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003

It could be easily adressed by taking all these addicts out and shooting them. Problem solved, and gene pool strengthened.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx

We could address it with the failed policies of the past--wage a proverbial war on supply; or, we could address this from an economic perspective and attack the demand-side of the equation...or we could just raise taxes, since they are the end-all, cure-all for all of our woes :) ...throw more money at it, Uncle Sam.
Well here again we run into the limitations of thinking via the dichotomy of opposites. The answer, I think, is some third way. I would begin the issue of drugs with a dialog on truth. I see the problem as structural. Kids have no reason to live, they are cynical about the future. Our whole culture needs to be examined. We are chimpanzees born fresh from the jungle. Unless we understand how to raise a healthy ape, in accordance with our genetic needs we will continue to produce all manner of mental aberration. We have the problem on entrenched economic interest who don't what to alter the system, all the way from prison guards to drug dealers, to the liqueur industry and millions of others. We need, I think, what I would call a science of man, and the move toward a system that lives by the truth of our being. The problem is profound and deep and may alter things we can't begin to imagine. One such thing may be the whole notion of schools and education. It is very likely that separating young apes by age to educate them in a classroom is totally wrong. Young apes may prove to need education without separation by age, that is, totally integrated into the full society. They may need a stake in the functioning and maintenance of that society from an early age where they find a place organically and by aptitude rather than by selective training.

gistech1978

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2002
Originally posted by: tnitsuj

It could be easily adressed by taking all these addicts out and shooting them. Problem solved, and gene pool strengthened.

yes, mental illness is a crime worthy of death.

youre depressed?
youre suicidal?
youre obsessive compulsive?
youre mentally retarded?
youve got cancer?
there is a chance your baby will have birth defects?

KILL EM ALL huh?
strengthen that gene pool, since you are such an advocate of it.
you should have no qualms about any of the forementioned statements.
addiction is a disease. it is hereditary, just like heart disease or anything else.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003

Well here again we run into the limitations of thinking via the dichotomy of opposites. The answer, I think, is some third way. I would begin the issue of drugs with a dialog on truth. I see the problem as structural. Kids have no reason to live, they are cynical about the future. Our whole culture needs to be examined. We are chimpanzees born fresh from the jungle. Unless we understand how to raise a healthy ape, in accordance with our genetic needs we will continue to produce all manner of mental aberration. We have the problem on entrenched economic interest who don't what to alter the system, all the way from prison guards to drug dealers, to the liqueur industry and millions of others. We need, I think, what I would call a science of man, and the move toward a system that lives by the truth of our being. The problem is profound and deep and may alter things we can't begin to imagine. One such thing may be the whole notion of schools and education. It is very likely that separating young apes by age to educate them in a classroom is totally wrong. Young apes may prove to need education without separation by age, that is, totally integrated into the full society. They may need a stake in the functioning and maintenance of that society from an early age where they find a place organically and by aptitude rather than by selective training.

Yes those suburban kids from half a million dollar plus houses, and all the opportunities in the world that end up pot head losers or even worse have nothing to live for. At some point you have to realize some people are just screw ups.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: gistech1978

yes, mental illness is a crime worthy of death.

youre depressed?
youre suicidal?
youre obsessive compulsive?
youre mentally retarded?
youve got cancer?
there is a chance your baby will have birth defects?

KILL EM ALL huh?
strengthen that gene pool, since you are such an advocate of it.
you should have no qualms about any of the forementioned statements.
addiction is a disease. it is hereditary, just like heart disease or anything else.

Addiction is a disease, but no one forces you to take that first drink or that hirst hit. You have free will, and YOU are the one who makes yourself addicted. I don't know anyone who made themself have cancer (except maybe smokers) or clinical depression.

gistech1978

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2002
but once you take that first drink or hit
your free will goes by the wayside?
you cannot determine how your life will turn out?

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002

Yeah Uncle Sam.
Throw more money at Iraq.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: gistech1978
but once you take that first drink or hit
your free will goes by the wayside?
you cannot determine how your life will turn out?

No your free will does not go by the wayside. Thier are very few substances that will instatly addict you. You have to work at it. Those are the people I have a problem with, and I admit I have no sympathy or regard for them. IMHO we would be better off if we could eliminate them from society.

Jan 12, 2003

Yes those suburban kids from half a million dollar plus houses, and all the opportunities in the world that end up pot head losers or even worse have nothing to live for. At some point you have to realize some people are just screw ups.

..or people should start accepting their responsibilities, as opposed to blaming others or 'society' in general, and come to realize that the fault lies squarely on the shoulders of the parents

...or were you trying the ol' "money is the root of all evil' argument by using the "suburban kids" and "half a million dollar plus houses?"

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003

..or people should start accepting their responsibilities, as opposed to blaming others or 'society' in general, and come to realize that the fault lies squarely on the shoulders of the parents

...or were you trying the ol' "money is the root of all evil' argument by using the "suburban kids" and "half a million dollar plus houses?"

I'm saying some people no matter how many opportunties you give them are just screw ups.

You can't read so well can you.

Jan 12, 2003

I'm saying some people no matter how many opportunties you give them are just screw ups.

You can't read so well can you.

Nice attack to substantiate your spin. Why not just 'kids with so many opportunities'? Why not "a man was shot by the police last night"...why "A black man was shot by a white cop last night in a white neighborhood with 99.9% of the residents being white and average per capita income placing them in the wealthiest 1%..."

Whatever you say, buddy...puff, puff, give.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Addiction is a disease, but no one forces you to take that first drink or that hirst hit. You have free will, and YOU are the one who makes yourself addicted. I don't know anyone who made themself have cancer (except maybe smokers) or clinical depression.
------------------
I hear in your comments great pain and frustration and anger at the world that it should turn out this way. I hear a person of feeling who has given up and is angry at the assault on his emotion. The sadder but wiser type, the f*ck it syndrome. :D What you may be lacking is what the addict lacks, a vision and a road to a better future. I suggest that your frustration is imposed by the limitations of your self understanding and the nature of man. I feel the answer is in the science of man. Real knowledge is real rare but not absent from the world. Pity the blind man who is blind from the bag on his head. It seems to me vital that we be willing, some how, not to assume we are at the end of the road to knowledge. I don't think we've even begun.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
The "war" on drugs is a joke.

If we want to end drug use we're in for a surprise. People have been using drugs for millenia.

Legalize all of it. Everything.

Then regulate it just like alcohol or any other intoxicating substance. Then provide treatment instead of incarceration. People are functional during treatment and can work to provide for themselves either wholly or partially until they are cured of addiction.

Drugs like pot should just be legal. That's a no brainer.

Put the criminals out of business, release all those people who were convicted on drug posession charges only. Review the rest of the drug related cases.

We will never eradicate drug use. Keeping it in the black market like a festering infection won't cure it. Bring it out in the open and deal with it.