Jebus... i blew over my text message limit this month

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Xyclone

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Originally posted by: TheGizmo
voicemail is a great feature, wtf are you talking about. you must be anti-social or something.

You mean unsocial. Being anti-social is a psychological disorder. Look it up.

Juice Box

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2003
texting is made more for college students who for some reason need a means of communication in "no talking" situations, aka class.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: halik
Originally posted by: secretanchitman
i just call and leave a voicemail.

no texting crap.

i cannot stand voicemail, as a matter of fact i cancelled them on my phone. From usability perspective, a voicemail is a horrible solution for the problem at hand.

:confused: Howso? I rather like voicemail.

As for text messaging... I use it semi-frequently. I live in the middle of nowhere, and my phone usually has a signal strong enough to send data, but not to carry voice. I also frequently use it when I'm in situations such that talking wouldn't be appropriate.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: TheGizmo
voicemail is a great feature, wtf are you talking about. you must be anti-social or something.

It's a great feature, but depending on the situation texting can be better.

Praxis1452

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2006
How about just talking to a person? Or wait to im them... Texting on tests... maybe.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: GeekDrew

no texting crap.

i cannot stand voicemail, as a matter of fact i cancelled itn my phone. From usability perspective, a voicemail is a horrible solution for the problem at hand.

As for text messaging... I use it semi-frequently. I live in the middle of nowhere, and my phone usually has a signal strong enough to send data, but not to carry voice. I also frequently use it when I'm in situations such that talking wouldn't be appropriate.

Well if you're trying to relay a message, a recorded note is pretty slow way of doing it (as opposed to text). Vast majority of my voicemails were friends telling me something or other (hey were at athis and that bar call me back etc) and it would take about 2 minutes of my time to get that message. It they'd just text me, I'd know whats up with just one glance.

Leaving voicemails is analogous to using a mic and recording a message on your computer and then attaching it to an email. Why do all of that when the device you're usings is capable of sending the message in text form...

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000

no texting crap.

i cannot stand voicemail, as a matter of fact i cancelled itn my phone. From usability perspective, a voicemail is a horrible solution for the problem at hand.

Well if you're trying to relay a message, a recorded note is pretty slow way of doing it (as opposed to text). Vast majority of my voicemails were friends telling me something or other (hey were at athis and that bar call me back etc) and it would take about 2 minutes of my time to get that message. It they'd just text me, I'd know whats up with just one glance.

Leaving voicemails is analogous to using a mic and recording a message on your computer and then attaching it to an email. Why do all of that when the device you're usings is capable of sending the message in text form...

No, leaving a voicemail is not like using a mic and recording a message on your computer to attach to an email.

I personally love voicemail. Friends, coworkers, supervisors, and clients are all able to leave me detailed messages, without having to type anything. Many of them are on the road or are multitasking when they leave me messages, so texting doesn't really fit. On top of that, a large amount of my communication is with land lines, which don't have texting functionality. <shrug> Each to their own.

blackbishop26

Mar 31, 2006
Originally posted by: bobdelt
Originally posted by: Greenman
I don't understand why you would send a text message on a phone, why type when you can talk?

because you cant talk on the phone during class, and its often much quicker just to send a text than to call people, especially if youre hanging out with a group of people, you dont have to interrupt the conversation youre having for you to talk on the phone, you can simply send a quick text and nobody really notices nor cares.

maybe it would be better to just pay attention in class and let the unimportant crap wait till after

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I don't understand why you would send a text message on a phone, why type when you can talk?

text my GF at work all the time, she can't talk on the phone but texting is okay. Also, I like texts cos I can be brave and say things to her I'd never dare say in person or even on the phone. I got a Motorola Q last month, with a mini qwerty keyboard, I'm up to 300 messages this month.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: blackbishop26
Originally posted by: bobdelt

because you cant talk on the phone during class, and its often much quicker just to send a text than to call people, especially if youre hanging out with a group of people, you dont have to interrupt the conversation youre having for you to talk on the phone, you can simply send a quick text and nobody really notices nor cares.

maybe it would be better to just pay attention in class and let the unimportant crap wait till after

So use a different set of circumstances as an example:

I was sitting in a conference with quite a few people, and had I had to speak on the phone, it would have interrupted the meeting, and I would have gotten in heaps of trouble, if the call wasn't important. Knowing that I would not answer a call, a coworker sent me a text message telling me that a mission-critical system had failed, because she knew that it was emergency priority. Since the circumstances were appropriate, I excused myself from the meeting and took care of other business. Had my coworker called, however, I would have ignored her incoming call and subsequent voicemail, as it could have been something as trivial as "hey, remember to bring in coffee and doughnuts tomorrow!"

Text messaging is *incredibly* useful in some circumstances, but not in nearly as many situations as what it is used for, nor as a replacement for voicemail.

BullyCanadian

Platinum Member
May 4, 2003
I dont understand how I managed to score a total of 630 between aug 20 and sept 20... thats gotta some kind of a record. That's over 20 texts a day

I work at a cellular store and I have personally seen teens (3 to be exact) with over 5000 a month (although it is very rare)

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
Originally posted by: chambersc
Originally posted by: thescreensavers
i once had a bill of 1000 text over ok 1000x .10 = $100 ya t-mobile wanted me to pay that haha

Class act.....

we worked it out, but we did thretan them because of a breach of warranty on my sidekick and they wanted us to pay for a new one until we sent a letter then I got a new phone.

now we are with cingular which is not so good in this area

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
I have 100 with my calling plan. I have only had a few months where I got anywhere near 50 let alone the 100. I mainly use it for a quick message where I can't call. Or that my friends are at work and they can't take the call. I'm not crazy about txting though. I'd rather call but in England calling is pricey.

Very pravalent in England and Europe though.

Koing

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
If I only have to relay a small bit of info like a phone number, address or ask a single question I text.

Saves time and resources.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
i once had a bill of 1000 text over ok 1000x .10 = $100 ya t-mobile wanted me to pay that haha

haha I feel you, lucky they let you "work it out" phone companies ain't no joke when you owe em money

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Originally posted by: chambersc

Class act.....

we worked it out, but we did thretan them because of a breach of warranty on my sidekick and they wanted us to pay for a new one until we sent a letter then I got a new phone.

now we are with cingular which is not so good in this area

Threatened them with "breech of warranty" because you incurred overage charges? Man, if Id've gotten your call(if you were a VZW cust) I'd have told you to fvcking man-up and pay your damned bill.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000

no texting crap.

No, leaving a voicemail is not like using a mic and recording a message on your computer to attach to an email.

I personally love voicemail. Friends, coworkers, supervisors, and clients are all able to leave me detailed messages, without having to type anything. Many of them are on the road or are multitasking when they leave me messages, so texting doesn't really fit. On top of that, a large amount of my communication is with land lines, which don't have texting functionality. <shrug> Each to their own.

From my experience it's the older population that's stuck in the voicemail mode, just because that was the prevalent set up for many years... but time's are changing ;)

I've got a blackberry from work when you combine that and outlook and ms exchange, it's by far the most effective solution for communication. Just try leaving a voicemail with half of page of technical information and see how much of it gets across. Even from the phisiological perspective, the human auditory perception is rather limited - people have at most a 30 second buffer of what they can retain if they have to continue listening to more audio. I took a class on HCI maybe 2 years ago and human perception was one of the topic covered :)

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000

no texting crap.

From my experience it's the older population that's stuck in the voicemail mode, just because that was the prevalent set up for many years... but time's are changing ;)

I've got a blackberry from work when you combine that and outlook and ms exchange, it's by far the most effective solution for communication. Just try leaving a voicemail with half of page of technical information and see how much of it gets across. Even from the phisiological perspective, the human auditory perception is rather limited - people have at most a 30 second buffer of what they can retain if they have to continue listening to more audio. I took a class on HCI maybe 2 years ago and human perception was one of the topic covered :)

Why on earth would you even *think* about leaving a voicemail with half of a page of technical information? :confused: