Jean shorts = not cool :(

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Fritzo
I got slammed for wearing jean shorts today by three different groups and a radio commercial. I didn't know they were the equivalent of a leisure suit these days. They're plain Levi's shorts. A group of girls at work gave me the "nice shorts-10 years ago" line, my buddy that helped me with a tune up asked if I ran out of clothes, and my daughter asked "are those denim shorts?!"

Then, on the radio, I hear the Bud Light commercial "Here's to you Mr. Jean Shorts Wearer" (we'll call them "Jorts").

I don't have a LOT of jean shorts, but I had no idea they were so frowned upon!

There... there.... it will be ok. ;)

khaki cargos ftw

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Rastus
At least they aren't as bad as Burmuda Shorts. With black socks and sandles.

Actually, bermuda shorts are coming back. They are back for women. :D

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
It seems that a lot of married men wear jean shorts, and I laugh every time I see it. Although, I'm married and I refuse to wear jean shorts since the last time I wore those type of shorts was probably the 7th grade for me. :laugh:

jdini76

Platinum Member
Mar 16, 2001
I got the memo this summer from my Girlfriend. I was shocked actually, but I see the light now. I think it has been in effect for a while, but this is the first summer being with my girlfriend where she felt comfortable enough to tell me not to wear them out. They have been retired to the lawn mowing pile.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Jeans all the time! We don't need no stinkin short pants.

Or business slacks on the 5 days a week I have to work and dress up.

It was 100+ all last week.

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: AbAbber2k
My ex bought me a pair of jean shorts two years ago (we were still dating of course). They weren't cool then either. Needless to say, I told her there was no way I was wearing them, so she gave them to her brother. Apparently they were cool in Puerto Rico at the time... either that or she was horribly out of touch with men's fashion.

Mens fashion should be about what was less dirty in the hamper. If you spend more than 10 seconds picking out your clothes in the morning you are a metro.

I wear denim shorts because they last a lot longer than kahki shorts. And to top it off, I'll wear them with a plain white undershirt AND go to Walmart. I don't care. If it's comfortable for me that's all i care.

I wear a tie 5 days a week, I think I'm entitled to dressing how the fuck ever I want after work and not based on some queer on TV telling straight men how to dress.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
Originally posted by: AbAbber2k
My ex bought me a pair of jean shorts two years ago (we were still dating of course). They weren't cool then either. Needless to say, I told her there was no way I was wearing them, so she gave them to her brother. Apparently they were cool in Puerto Rico at the time... either that or she was horribly out of touch with men's fashion.

Mens fashion should be about what was less dirty in the hamper. If you spend more than 10 seconds picking out your clothes in the morning you are a metro.

I wear denim shorts because they last a lot longer than kahki shorts. And to top it off, I'll wear them with a plain white undershirt AND go to Walmart. I don't care. If it's comfortable for me that's all i care.

I wear a tie 5 days a week, I think I'm entitled to dressing how the fuck ever I want after work and not based on some queer on TV telling straight men how to dress.
silly man. it's got nothing to do with queer eye for the straight guy. :p

jean shorts scream white trash. you wanna wear 'em, fine, i understand you want to dress down after being in a tie 5/7, but they are, as you've admitted, WallyWorld attire.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i had no clue...
i wear t-shirts and jeans every day so you can tell how much i give a shit about fashion.

i only own 1 pair of shorts and they are jean shorts. i don't usually wear shorts anywhere exept for home.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
If you go to the University of Florida, jean shorts are cool.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005

PSA

Just in case there was any confusion, jean shorts have NEVER been okay. They have always looked ridiculous.

*The More You Know...*

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Chryso
I believe they are still in style for the gay community.

Well if anything if they aren't in style then the gay community wouldn't be buying them.

If you see a guy wearing jean shorts it's probably likely he like beer, not wine coolers, and that he can change his own flat tire.

When did metro become hip? I've noticed now that all the kids wear khaki pants or sorts, with a polo shirt, Aviator size sun glasses and that stupid mop hairdo.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
Originally posted by: Chryso
I believe they are still in style for the gay community.

Well if anything if they aren't in style then the gay community wouldn't be buying them.

If you see a guy wearing jean shorts it's probably likely he like beer, not wine coolers, and that he can change his own flat tire.

When did metro become hip? I've noticed now that all the kids wear khaki pants or sorts, with a polo shirt, Aviator size sun glasses and that stupid mop hairdo.

When did not wanting to look like you just crawled out of a trailer park become "metro"?

Guys wearing jorts are like the really old guys with slacks pulled up to their armpits. I'm sure they don't care about fashion either, but they still look ridiculous.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
If they're like knee length or almost knee legnth, then what's the issue? If they were cutoffs and really short then that'd be a problem.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
I've seen a LOT of attractive young girls wearing jean shorts this summer.

They're just not cool for dudes.