Jean shorts = not cool :(

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
And here I wear jean shorts for most of the summer, especially since they don't wear out nearly as fast. I guess I need to keep up with fashion, though I've never had anyone say anything to me.

*shrug*

alimoalem

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2005
from reading 3/4ths of page 1 of 2, i guess it's safe to assume you don't know people that wear baggy clothing. jean shorts are by no means out in the baggy-clothed wearing community

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Unless you're at the beach, on a boat, or playing a sport shorts just aren't a good option, regardless of the material. I haven't worn shorts in years.

ZV

Then you're in the EXTREME minority. I don't understand how you can do it. Here in NC, shorts are almost mandatory from Spring through Summer.

The only time I were pants/khakis is for work/church. Any other time, it's shorts. Who wants to wash their car or cut the grass or grill out on the deck in 100 degree temperatures with pants on?

Are you f*&king crazy? :D

As for jean shorts, I haven't worn them since middle school... and I'm 27. I have about ten pairs of shorts -- none of them denim :)

Yeah, what NFS4 said. :D

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: child of wonder
Originally posted by: Kev
Originally posted by: dainthomas
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
As long as they are purchased jean shorts and not old jeans tat you cut the bottoms of off, I think you're fine. I wear jean shorts all the time. Sonoma Carpenter Jean Shorts to be exact. Love the loose feel and the extra pockets.

You wear these? :confused:

I hope to God you're at least 70. If not, I am forcibly revoking your man card.

I think I'm revoking your man card instead for caring about fashion. You and all the other metrosexuals in this thread.

:thumbsup:

QFMFT

It's not about being a metro. It's about not looking like you're on your way to bingo. Those are old guy shorts, regardless of whether they're denim or not. Why don't you go ahead and throw on some black socks and sandals with those, gramps. :roll:

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
As long as they are purchased jean shorts and not old jeans tat you cut the bottoms of off, I think you're fine. I wear jean shorts all the time. Sonoma Carpenter Jean Shorts to be exact. Love the loose feel and the extra pockets.

I think I'm revoking your man card instead for caring about fashion. You and all the other metrosexuals in this thread.

QFMFT

It's not about being a metro. It's about not looking like you're on your way to bingo. Those are old guy shorts, regardless of whether they're denim or not. Why don't you go ahead and throw on some black socks and sandals with those, gramps. :roll:

or one could just not give a shit and wear what is comfortable. Sorry, im not wasting money to keep up with fashion trends.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I'm still sporting the jean shorts and I'm never going to change!!! My friend wears the khaki shorts and everytime I see him in them I think of my Grandpa.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
jean shorts are out of fashion to whom exactly? Glad I live in an urban area where it's the exact opposite. I think the fact clothing lines like Sean Jean, Ecko & Rocawear all have jean shorts that cost between $70-200 a pair they're not out of style. They might be a fashion no-no to people who wear uber expensive Italian fashion. But I own about 20 pairs of jean shorts all bought withing the past 24 months. Rednecks wear cut-offs, I don't think those were ever in style.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

QFMFT

It's not being metro, it's having some common decency and respect for yourself. Wearing jean shorts is the equivalent of having a mullet or mutton chops :D
LOL, we are suppose to take fashion advice from a guy who's a spitting image of Erkel??:laugh: Hit the gym, shave your head and get rid of those goggles and you might be able to talk about respect for ones image.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Even when they were in fashion, I just always thought jean shorts were ugly. Not cool and similar to wearing over the calf socks with shorts.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
So they've been out of fashion for some time now, as the ones that ended barely above the knee were replaced by ones that are baggy and fall below the knee (a few inches different). I didn't care.

It sounds like they're moving out of in-fashion to "Dad, Happy Birthday, here's some new clothes because you can't wear what you have anymore" phase. I must have missed the memo.

Oh well, have to go shopping anyway.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
I'm too old to care about what people think. I wear shorts every single day of the year and jean shorts are included amongst those. Besides, with what I see people wear these days, I don't think anybody has any fashion sense any more.

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
damn, i haven't had wore jean shorts since.

ever since, i wear khaki and plaid shorts.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

QFMFT

It's not being metro, it's having some common decency and respect for yourself. Wearing jean shorts is the equivalent of having a mullet or mutton chops :D
LOL, we are suppose to take fashion advice from a guy who's a spitting image of Erkel??:laugh: Hit the gym, shave your head and get rid of those goggles and you might be able to talk about respect for ones image.

Where's supposed to take fashion advice from a guy who would be at home with the Hell's Angels? Good grief :D

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: dug777
Ugh. They're horrible ;)
Uhoh, you know they're really uncool when an Australian thinks so. You're in real trouble if any of our German members chimes in with the same opinion. ;)

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001

QFMFT

I'm going to go ahead and say you probably own a pair of $100 jeans, maybe more...

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Unless you're at the beach, on a boat, or playing a sport shorts just aren't a good option, regardless of the material. I haven't worn shorts in years.

ZV

Why would you CHOOSE to wear pants when it's hot out? :confused:

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: mugs

ZV

Why would you CHOOSE to wear pants when it's hot out? :confused:

Mental illness? :confused:

:p