Jean shorts = not cool :(

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
I have to echo the sentiment that I don't give half a rat's ass what "popular" culture thinks I should and should not wear.

And if anyone ever comments about my shorts, I'll ask them what I ever did to make them think I give a shit about their opinion so I can stop.

Besides, fashion is just the regurgitation of trends from years past over and over again.

In another 10 years jean shorts will be all the rage and everyone will hate khaki shorts.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: dainthomas
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
As long as they are purchased jean shorts and not old jeans tat you cut the bottoms of off, I think you're fine. I wear jean shorts all the time. Sonoma Carpenter Jean Shorts to be exact. Love the loose feel and the extra pockets.

You wear these? :confused:

I hope to God you're at least 70. If not, I am forcibly revoking your man card.

I think I'm revoking your man card instead for caring about fashion. You and all the other metrosexuals in this thread.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Originally posted by: Kev
As long as they are purchased jean shorts and not old jeans tat you cut the bottoms of off, I think you're fine. I wear jean shorts all the time. Sonoma Carpenter Jean Shorts to be exact. Love the loose feel and the extra pockets.

I think I'm revoking your man card instead for caring about fashion. You and all the other metrosexuals in this thread.

:thumbsup:

QFMFT

Skeeedunt

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
As long as they're worn with a "Mustache rides 5c" shirt I think you're good to go.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Unless you're at the beach, on a boat, or playing a sport shorts just aren't a good option, regardless of the material. I haven't worn shorts in years.

ZV

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Grow your hair long, put on your Jorts, and a tie dye T-shirt then say, "Screw the Man!"

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I wear (mostly) denim shorts from April through October. Not cut-offs, but regular "store-bought" shorts. I could care less whether they're the current fashion or not. Don't like them? Too fucking bad.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Unless you're at the beach, on a boat, or playing a sport shorts just aren't a good option, regardless of the material. I haven't worn shorts in years.

ZV

Why? Chicken legs?

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
My ex bought me a pair of jean shorts two years ago (we were still dating of course). They weren't cool then either. Needless to say, I told her there was no way I was wearing them, so she gave them to her brother. Apparently they were cool in Puerto Rico at the time... either that or she was horribly out of touch with men's fashion.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000

ZV
I hardly EVER wear anything BUT shorts. All day, every day. I'm hot-natured, so I like some air conditioning.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

ZV

Then you're in the EXTREME minority. I don't understand how you can do it. Here in NC, shorts are almost mandatory from Spring through Summer.

The only time I were pants/khakis is for work/church. Any other time, it's shorts. Who wants to wash their car or cut the grass or grill out on the deck in 100 degree temperatures with pants on?

Are you f*&king crazy? :D

As for jean shorts, I haven't worn them since middle school... and I'm 27. I have about ten pairs of shorts -- none of them denim :)

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: child of wonder
Originally posted by: Kev

:thumbsup:

QFMFT

It's not being metro, it's having some common decency and respect for yourself. Wearing jean shorts is the equivalent of having a mullet or mutton chops :D

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I don't have a single pair of jeans shorts, but I guess its very telling that I too did not know that they were that uncool? They don't look that bad to me. Then again, I went to high school in the 90's, so I love everything 90's.

You know all those old people that we laugh at for wearing plaid pants hiked up to their armpits? Well that was the style when they were young and hip. That means that when we're 70 and 80, we'll be wearing jeans shorts, Airwalks, baseball caps, and Big Johnson t-shirts. And all of the kids are going to laugh at us.

mjrpes3

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2004
fashion matters when you're single and need to 'fit in'; jeans shorts theses days do not meet this end.