Question [JayzTwoCents] RX 6900XT fail. TL;DR: Dual-BIOS saves the day (video)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
What "mistake" did JayzTwoCents and his assistant make? The card up and DIED. Wouldn't POST.

Jay tried the dual-BIOS switch, and that made the card work again, on the secondary BIOS.

So Jay made a video telling the world that this was one way to avoid card-death in some cases, having a card with a dual-BIOS effectively can give it TWO LIVES (in some cases). This is true.

And to corroberate his anecdote, my RX 6600 (XFX, I think, not PowerColor) had a somewhat similar no-POST situation, and flipping the BIOS switch allowed it to POST again.

Again, what "mistake" did Jay and I make?

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
No matter the reason, no other "content creator" wastes so much time making videos about what he couldn't do.
It's to much to ask for him to be a bit more like Hardware Unboxed?
"At the course of our testing our cards died, and the house caught fire, our office went up in flames, we had to move to another state and our family divorced us, but here are a hundred benchmarks from all cards available on the market, sorry for the delay."

But nooo... the viewers prefer seeing Jay moaning for 15 minutes, it's all essential and life changing information, top tier quality content.

Reactions: gradoman and Leeea

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
No matter the reason, no other "content creator" wastes so much time making videos about what he couldn't do.
But nooo... the viewers prefer seeing Jay moaning for 15 minutes, it's all essential and life changing information, top tier quality content.
Quite frankly, I find HardwareUnboxed, somewhat boring and formulaic. Same graphs, every time.

At least Jay does some interesting off-the-cuff videos, and I sometimes learn something from him, even his "mistakes".

But I get it, you don't like Jay. Maybe get your meds adjusted? :p

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
"At the course of our testing our cards died, and the house caught fire, our office went up in flames, we had to move to another state and our family divorced us, but here are a hundred benchmarks from all cards available on the market, sorry for the delay."

Be more like HUB? <insert Michael from the office NO! meme here> Ozzy Steve just posted a vid comparing the 3D and 12700K. He did not so much as mention that he was not including MS Flight Sim because he has the log in error with 12th gen. And while he blames it on MS, no matter who gets the finger pointed at them, the fact is, only 12th gen suffers the issue. He can compare Ryzen all day using it, and has. Suspicious? Me thinks so, particularly given that the 3D pimp slaps everything in that title, and would change even his, lame average performance chart. No warning about if you spend a lot of time in that flight sim, that it is possible you might end up having your new 12th gen build stop running it. So if someone buys a 12700k based on the latest vid, and is a huge MSFS fan, they could end up not even being able to play. And whomever is about to tell me how you don't have any problem, good for you. Doesn't change the fact, he is having the problem, and is not giving it enough attention. Game breaking bugs, that prevent you from testing the title. are need to know for your audiences' edification.

Speaking of his average over 40+ games testing, it is another way of badly manipulating statistics. The 3D was faster in 75% of the games, but only 8% on average. ROFLcopter at that, and the stupid cost analysis he always does. His Ferengi math can suck it. And the way he decides which boards you can get away with pairing. It's all good on that though, he has his opinion, I have mine. I just think his take, is a great example of sticking his finger in the wind to see which way it's blowing. Because his opinions almost always sync with whatever popular sentiment in the community is. Don't want to make too many waves; baby needs a new pair of shoes. ;)

And don't get me started again on his being one of the prime examples of reviewers managing to test games without actually playing the games. It's yawn worthy testing from my perspective.

Now to Jay: He has greatly varied content. And he provides some great troubleshooting vids at times. The issue with the 3080ti was something fairly esoteric, to cite a recent example. And he will sit down and play the games, not the usual canned, scripted, 25-60 second run nonsense. It is the reason why he is the only big reviewer that will reach a different conclusions than all of the other closely approaching, or over 1 million subs level channels. And I greatly appreciate his anecdotal experiences with the stuff he uses. It provides the opportunity for others with similar issues to chime in and help establish if there is a large enough sample size to warrant further investigation.

Where as Ozzy Steve was accusing 5700XT owners of PINIC when so many complained about its failings with in the first few months of launch. Dude is so far up his own butt now, he could not find his way out with a map and a flashlight.

That's not to say Jay doesn't goof or have other negatives to what he does or how he does it. But I like that he isn't part of the assembly line testers guild.

Now make no mistake, I find Ozzy Steve's channel to have value, but I don't drink the kool aid. Especially when it never claims, but none-the-less implies it contains real fruit juice. :p

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Quite frankly, I find HardwareUnboxed, somewhat boring and formulaic. Same graphs, every time.

At least Jay does some interesting off-the-cuff videos, and I sometimes learn something from him, even his "mistakes".

But I get it, you don't like Jay. Maybe get your meds adjusted? :p
I just wrote a novella, to state what you did in a couple of sentences. The very notion that he should be like HUB aka the assembly line testers guild is pure comedy. Yes, be like the guy with less than a 3rd of your subs. Half of which came from one incident - "Look at me standing up to Nvidia for wanting me to take editorial direction." And ever since, he and Tim have done exactly what was demanded of them, cover the benefits of DLSS and RT. It was a brilliant play akin to Brer Rabbit pleading not to be thrown into the briar patch. :D

I am not accusing them of being shills. Only of knowing which battles to fight, and how to maximize ROI. Don't blame them, it is how they put bread on the table. But I am not going to pick up the pom poms or join the fan club either.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
We already have HUB for HUB-like content. What's the point if everyone does the same thing. Let Jay make the kind of videos he wants and if they aren't your cup of tea, don't watch them. I personally prefer HUB's content a lot more so I rarely watch Jay's videos, but occasionally I do for something different and I wouldn't want that to change.

Reactions: Leeea

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
The video is maybe a bit lengthy for what it is. But they obviously make their money by making videos, and they need to be a certainly length to get promoted, etc, etc.

I am not however sure why this needed its own posts.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
It is GPU troubleshooting help, what could be more pertinent to GPUs? Even with a card with one bios, you can use IGP or a 710 or something to flash the suspect card with a new bios. It could help keep someone from having to invest in a new card, or RMA and wait for weeks or more to game it up again.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
It is GPU troubleshooting help, what could be more pertinent to GPUs? Even with a card with one bios, you can use IGP or a 710 or something to flash the suspect card with a new bios. It could help keep someone from having to invest in a new card, or RMA and wait for weeks or more to game it up again.

I understand that. But the thread title isn't about troubleshooting a corrupt BIOS. And I am not sure we want a new thread for every single GPU related video that comes out on YouTube.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I understand that. But the thread title isn't about troubleshooting a corrupt BIOS. And I am not sure we want a new thread for every single GPU related video that comes out on YouTube.
LOL, as quiet as these forums are, the pertinent posts and traffic are welcomed, I would think. ;)

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I just wrote a novella, to state what you did in a couple of sentences. The very notion that he should be like HUB aka the assembly line testers guild is pure comedy. Yes, be like the guy with less than a 3rd of your subs. Half of which came from one incident - "Look at me standing up to Nvidia for wanting me to take editorial direction." And ever since, he and Tim have done exactly what was demanded of them, cover the benefits of DLSS and RT. It was a brilliant play akin to Brer Rabbit pleading not to be thrown into the briar patch. :D

I am not accusing them of being shills. Only of knowing which battles to fight, and how to maximize ROI. Don't blame them, it is how they put bread on the table. But I am not going to pick up the pom poms or join the fan club either.

I do like HUB... among many other sites/tubers but I do find it annoying when he discards the 3090 or similar cards because "the price is stupid" so they don't consider them as anything but "prosumer" or "e-peen" cards.

Everyone should get info from multiple reviews and stop citing just one as the God site/tube. Jays reviews are often funny and sometimes highlight things the "pro" reviewers like HUB don't cover or gloss over.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I would rather skim through a written post, then have to watch a whole video. Those are harder to skim through.
Channels that use time stamps make it much easier. Keyboard allows for 5 second skips, which also expedites things, without overshooting the way the mouse can. Besides, I cut the cord many years ago now, and tech tube vids are part of my entertainment. Beats the brain dead content that predominantly comprises TV. I still like written content too. Having completely eliminated sports ball and other time consuming TV content, I have ample time to peruse whatever I want. Heck, I don't even watch boxing or MMA live anymore. Another ancillary benefit of which is, I don't have to put up with my friends terrible fight predictions or horrible analysis of the fighters. :p

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Maybe this is already a feature of YT and I'm not aware of it, but I'd love if they had an auto-captioning system for all their videos and better still a method of downloading a video transcript.

There are plenty of situations where I could watch a video, but I'm not going to turn the sound on for privacy/courtesy reasons.

Maybe NV should throw some of their newfangled AI solutions at this.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Maybe NV should throw some of their newfangled AI solutions at this.

There is already built in CC, the text just needs to be put some place. But, a lot of times the text itself is wildly out of context without seeing what its talking about. Think where they say "And on this graph, you can see the 6900XT surprises us", and you are left wondering "in what way? good or bad?"

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Good video and informative but nothing new for us old heads that have flashed a Video bios before.

I was doing this way back when I had a Radeon 8500LE about 20 years ago.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Good video and informative but nothing new for us old heads that have flashed a Video bios before.

I was doing this way back when I had a Radeon 8500LE about 20 years ago.

We didn't have dual BIOS' then though. If it got corrupt, the card was bricked.