Question JayzTwoCents - "Buy your NV 3000-series cards TODAYZ!!!!" video of a few days ago. (final reply from Jay)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Having worked in/around the Oakland port, those independent truck drivers are only going to hurt themselves. The port can always contract with outside trucking firms to do the haulage...if the indies try to block the roads, they'll get arrested and their trucks impounded.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Having worked in/around the Oakland port, those independent truck drivers are only going to hurt themselves. The port can always contract with outside trucking firms to do the haulage...if the indies try to block the roads, they'll get arrested and their trucks impounded.
Wasn't there some laws passed, that made interfering / blocking US ports, essentially a terrorist offense? I seem to recall that being passed, maybe during the Clinton presidency.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
"I've been told by numerous sources whom I cannot name because they will literally lose their jobs, that the 4000 series may be up to a year away from launch" ... @4m. :p

That is some wild speculation by 2cents there. In the spirit of wild speculation:

AMD GPU dominance! also, Nvidia bankrupt 2023? AMD buys Nvidia's TSMC reservations at nvidia bankruptcy auction?

If 2cents can speculation wild crazy things, so can I!

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well, I bit the bullet as I was able to get a good deal on a 3070. It will initially be in my main system, but will get moved to my HTPC system (as I have been wanting something to support HDMI 2.1 in that). I figure with the upscalling capabilities it should be able to run 4k to a TV, while not getting insanely loud. I suspect the next gen to be a lot worse in that kind of capability since it seems while they are going to be more capable, they do so at the expense of needing more power/cooling. The 225W or so of this card is a better fit then a 300-350W next gen card.

Now I just need to fix my issues I am having with it (I get the dreaded blank screen issue, as I am connecting via displayport for the first time, and it looks like that I need a patch/firmware change from Nvidia). I am trying to figure out how I can apply that said patch since I have no display (but it clearly is running and booting into windows as I can ping the system over the network 20-30 seconds after I turn it on). I just picked up a HDMI cable so I can try and connect via HDMI (my previous card connected via DVI to my monitors, so this is the first time I have tried to use displayport on these monitors, and it could be an issue with that as well since it is untested, but I don't expect that two monitors would be suffering a hardware issue, so I am leaning towards the known Nvidia displayport issue). I don't think it is power related (I have a Seasonic 1000W titanium rated PSU).

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Several "sources" have stated that nVidia wants to delay the 4K series because the number of cheap cards hitting the market is just going to grow in the coming months. So its a bad time to launch.

I would be surprised in nVidia or AMD launch new cards this year. Though, I have been surprised before.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Several "sources" have stated that nVidia wants to delay the 4K series because the number of cheap cards hitting the market is just going to grow in the coming months. So its a bad time to launch.

I would be surprised in nVidia or AMD launch new cards this year. Though, I have been surprised before.

I thought general consensus for AMD launch is early 2023 anyway. So it would just make sense for NV to wait if they can.
With emphasis on "can". The chips need to be produced and shipped to AIB which then create the final product which then get shipped to it's destination. TSMC obviously needs a pretty long head-up when they need to make the chips. If a launch was initial planned for this year, NV would have already needed to inform everyone it is getting delayed and then we would have likley heard about this much more clearly. Or a "final" decision was never made which means it will be early 2023 anyway or else they would need to have set things in motion if they want to launch in Oct-Nov.

Therefore I think early 2023 has been the earliest target from NV since quiet a while Eg they habe known for months that they won't launch in 2022 and looking at local "ebay" here yeah 3000 series is getting sold off right now. New ones are still rather pricy.

Reactions: Stuka87

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
AMD is not exposed on the used market like nvidia is.

Nvidia AIBs apparently have excess stock they have been unable to sell. AMD AIBs apparently do not.

AMD has no reason to delay.

The current street price of nVidia cards does not follow along with this theory. If they truly had a bunch of cards that they could not sell at over MSRP (nVidia cards are mostly not being listed at MSRP), then they would put them on sale to move them. We aren't seeing this, though they are finally coming down in price compared to a few weeks ago.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Prices on current inventory are dropping at a snails pace. If there is some hidden glut of inventory out there, AIBs/Retailers/Nvidia have done a solid job of blunting the supply.

A theory I don't often see discussed is an NV buy-back from the AIBs. Keep high volume 3xxx cards in reserve to re-release if/when there is a serious 4xxx series shortage to move them for a minimal loss (akin to the "rereleased" 2060 and 1630 we're seeing now).

I believe NV has done something similar previously simply to maintain the margins on its existing and soon to be released products. Doubt we'll ever see the kind of price crash we saw with AMD back after the original mining boom.

Reactions: MangoX and scineram

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I believe that too. Most of the deals during "The Flood", are going to be used mining cards, not new stock.

Which is exactly why I'm not looking too seriously at the used cards that pop up on the market. Seems like too many people over-paid for their cards during the mining boom...and now are trying to recoup some of those prices...even though the market is dropping. I see far too many "potentially mined cards" on the local-ish Craigslist or FB Marketplace that CLAIM to not have been ised for mining...and are carrying prices very close to the MSRP for those same cards.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Prices on current inventory are dropping at a snails pace. If there is some hidden glut of inventory out there, AIBs/Retailers/Nvidia have done a solid job of blunting the supply.

A theory I don't often see discussed is an NV buy-back from the AIBs. Keep high volume 3xxx cards in reserve to re-release if/when there is a serious 4xxx series shortage to move them for a minimal loss (akin to the "rereleased" 2060 and 1630 we're seeing now).

I believe NV has done something similar previously simply to maintain the margins on its existing and soon to be released products. Doubt we'll ever see the kind of price crash we saw with AMD back after the original mining boom.

GPUs are like gas: prices shoot up like a rocket, fall like a feather.

Reactions: Kaluan and Tlh97

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
GPUs are like gas: prices shoot up like a rocket, fall like a feather.
We pretty much need gas. I don't quite think it's the same, although some here might certainly disagree.

Regarding the post you replied to, we seem to be at the staring contest stage, just before all pricing hell breaks loose.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
English, ha. Gas, gas, gas, what does it mean.
He is clearly referring to the Ethereum networks transaction fee, also known as the gas fee.

( on the off chance you are not a native English speaker, he is referring to the price of gasoline, typically used for cars and other motor vehicles. This is a separate meaning from the Ethereum gas fee mentioned above. It is also separate from the concept of gas, liquid, and solid as a state of matter, like water vapor, water, and ice. Yes, we made it extra complicated, I apologize for that. )

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Nvidia should release these things into the European market and promote their ability to heat your home for the coming winter if they really want them to fly off shelves.

Sorry ATPN is leaking.
Ampere launch: Jensen takes the GPU out of the oven.
Lovelace launch: Jensen takes a tray of cookies out of the oven and says, "The GPU is the oven"