Jay-Z - Ain't no love

weiv0004

Oct 28, 2004
So I heard this song in the commercials for American Gangster and I immediately loved it . . . at least the parts of it I heard in the commercial. Once I actually heard to whole song, I was so disapointed. Jay Z sounds like a moron throughout the majority of the song (especially the intro "Uuuhhs"), and his rhymes are pathetic (Sensitive Thugs need hugs?!!)

I looked up the original by Bobby Bland and liked it much better, but I admit it is missing some of the energy that Jay Z's version has.

Does anybody know of another cover that might be a happy medium?

Link to Youtube of Jay Z Song

Link to Youtube of Bobby Bland Song

KingGheedora

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
Jay-z's true genius is that he makes millions of dollars writing these elementary school poems. His first album was good though.

weiv0004

Oct 28, 2004
I know Jay Z is no genius but I admit I like some of his songs. His version of this song is just pathetic though. He even seems to stumble on the beat a couple times. If he just shut up and provided the "instrumental" additions to the original, I'd be happy.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
There's no substitute for the original. The original has that sexy smooth flow. Jay-Z's still has this undertone of HELLO I AM A RAPPER AND A SLAVE TO MONEY AND SUPERFICIALITY which doesn't really carry the same spirit as the original.

GregGreen

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2000
y'all just feta cause he got a little chedda

btw, the version on his unplugged cd is way better (featuring Jaguar Wright)

Jun 19, 2004
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Yeah JayZ being worth over $300 million is just an idiot :confused:

Yeah, because there's no such thing as a rich idiot :roll:

Personally I like Jay-Z, but your statement is just dumb as shit.

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: MisterJackson

Well he's truly no idiot at what he does otherwise he wouldn't be successful at it (music industry/business)

And KingGheedora you are completely wrong - one he NEVER writes any of his rhymes down. He listens to a beat over and over and then goes into the studio and flows from his memory. Secondly, I would be hesitant to say that his rhymes are "elementary" - I'd like to see you or anyone else in the rap industry put together as much clever word play and phrases as he has done...

"Just when you thought the whole world fell apart/
I.. take off the blazer, loosen up the tie/
step inside the booth, Superman is alive!"

I mean Newsweek even had that in an article about him, that may not be his greatest, but I'd say it's pretty good lyrical content. But then again you probably don't listen to his music and are judging him based on a biased opinion..

Jahee

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2006
Originally posted by: MisterJackson

He's obviously a very capable and intelligent business man, you don't stumble across $300 million by being a total fool.

James3shin

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2004
hahah..."Ain't no love" is targeted exactly at the people who say things like:

"Jay-Z's still has this undertone of HELLO I AM A RAPPER AND A SLAVE TO MONEY AND SUPERFICIALITY which doesn't really carry the same spirit as the original."

Ain't no love...
:p