Java question

Rowboat

May 25, 2007
I want to do a simple database type program in java. How do i permanently store the data?

When I search i see alot of methods for connecting to a database server but I need it to be stand alone.

Thanks for reading.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
XML sucks for relational database. What you can do easily is have some free database installed (mySQL) and then send tables over using JDBC.

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
Originally posted by: postmortemIA
XML sucks for relational database. What you can do easily is have some free database installed (mySQL) and then send tables over using JDBC.

Hardly. with a decent API like .NET's XML framework XML is really simple and easy to work with relational data.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
Java 1.6 comes with its own relational database. Alternatively, checking out BDB for Java.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Crusty

Hardly. with a decent API like .NET's XML framework XML is really simple and easy to work with relational data.

Really? Let's say you have database of 50GB size. You think .NET XML parser can handle it?

What's the point of adding two overheads, reading and writing the XML.

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Crusty

Really? Let's say you have database of 50GB size. You think .NET XML parser can handle it?

What's the point of adding two overheads, reading and writing the XML.

If you are writing an application that needs a 50GB standalone database then choosing your storage is hardly a concern.

You simply stated that XML sucks for a relational database. For an application that needs to store data in between runs XML is perfectly acceptable.

Also, I don't see how you can say that XML has overhead but then leave out the fact that calling a database via queries has an overhead too.