Java Programming security questions

JC0133

Nov 2, 2010
I am trying to learn how to use Java to do some security stuff. I am taking a security class and I was told I can do some of these things in Java.

1st Question is based around RSA.

I was looking at some youtube videos about how to encrypt and decrypt using RSA Java algorithm

Code:
            KeyPairGenerator keyPairGenerator = KeyPairGenerator.getInstance("RSA");
            keyPairGenerator.initialize(2048);
            KeyPair keyPair = keyPairGenerator.generateKeyPair();
            PublicKey publicKey = keyPair.getPublic();
            PrivateKey privateKey = keyPair.getPrivate();

If I don't want to use a KeyPairGenerator, how do I go about creating a public and private key. Like if I wanted to make my own and not use KeyPairGenerator? Like can I just use KeyPair and create my own hard coded public and private key??

My professor told me if I gave you a certificate, you should be able to get the public key from that. So I him to give me one so I can try and I realize I don't really know what to do lol. I have it but it is encoded, when I open it up in notepad ++.

So my question is do I need to install it and after that do I read in the file line by line to get the public key?

I have been looking for youtube videos online that show me how to use Java to verify a certificate. Like show me how to print it out and get the public key?

Does anybody have any good tutorials on how to do this with Java?

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
There is nothing really special about the Public/PrivateKey interfaces. You are free to implement them yourself. (don't seriously do this, but for a toy program and experimentation it is fine).

JC0133

Nov 2, 2010
This is my first security class and I have been to get most things working. For some reason I am struggling with the Pub/Priv Key stuff. I found some decent reading material online. Can someone please verify if my understanding is correct.

So he gave me a public certificate file with extension .cer and a private key file with extension .pfx.

So Do I need to install this certificates or anything? He told me I should be able to get the public and private key from this two files. And in the real world I can use that to print and like verify the keys and certificates and encrypt/decrypt files.

So from reading the http://www.novixys.com/blog/how-to-generate-rsa-keys-java/(sections 3.1 and 3.2)

Would I use this code to get the private key? Where the key file is simple the file path to the private key file on my PC?

Code:
/* Read all bytes from the private key file */ Path path = Paths.get(keyFile); byte[] bytes = Files.readAllBytes(path); /* Generate private key. */ PKCS8EncodedKeySpec ks = new PKCS8EncodedKeySpec(bytes); KeyFactory kf = KeyFactory.getInstance("RSA"); PrivateKey pvt = kf.generatePrivate(ks);

And can I basically do the same thing using this code below to get the key from the public certificate file

Code:
/* Read all the public key bytes */ Path path = Paths.get(keyFile); byte[] bytes = Files.readAllBytes(path); /* Generate public key. */ X509EncodedKeySpec ks = new X509EncodedKeySpec(bytes); KeyFactory kf = KeyFactory.getInstance("RSA"); PublicKey pub = kf.generatePublic(ks);

JC0133

Nov 2, 2010
So I am trying to print the private key. I keep getting errors when I try to do system.out.println.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong in either test case??

Code:
public static void main(String[] args) throws KeyStoreException, FileNotFoundException, IOException, NoSuchAlgorithmException, CertificateException, UnrecoverableEntryException, InvalidKeySpecException {
// Trying to print the private key from a file with private key in it Raghupri.pfx.
//I tried two test cases, one using keyStore and the either using Keyfactory and PrivateKey

//test case 1 for getting private key
KeyStore keyStore = KeyStore.getInstance(KeyStore.getDefaultType());

char[] keyStorePassword = "raghu".toCharArray();
try(InputStream keyStoreData = new FileInputStream("C:\\Users\\username\\Desktop\\certificate\\certificate\\Raghupri.pfx")){
keyStore.load(keyStoreData, keyStorePassword);
}

KeyStore.ProtectionParameter entryPassword =
new KeyStore.PasswordProtection(keyStorePassword);

KeyStore.PrivateKeyEntry privateKeyEntry = (KeyStore.PrivateKeyEntry)
keyStore.getEntry("keyAlias", entryPassword);

// System.out.println("Private key is " + privateKeyEntry.getPrivateKey()); //NOT WORKING

//test case two for getting private key
/* Read all bytes from the private key file */
Path path = Paths.get("C:\\Users\\username\\Desktop\\certificate\\certificate\\Raghupri.pfx");
byte[] bytes = Files.readAllBytes(path);

/* Generate private key. */
PKCS8EncodedKeySpec ks = new PKCS8EncodedKeySpec(bytes);
KeyFactory kf = KeyFactory.getInstance("RSA");
PrivateKey pvt = kf.generatePrivate(ks);

Base64.Encoder encoder = Base64.getEncoder();

// System.out.println("Private key is " + encoder.encodeToString(pvt.getEncoded())); //NOT WORKING
}