Japanese Cinema is Crazy

CrazyHelloDeli

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2001
A buddy at work lent me a bunch of Japanese movies a few weeks ago and I just got finished watching them all. Here is what I watched:

Ju-On
Ju-On 2
Ju-on The Grudge
Uzumaki
Dark Water
Battle Royale
Ichi The Killer

These are some crazy flicks!:Q
The Ju-On series is probably one of the most creepy ghost stories ive ever seen.
Uzumaki is one of the weirdest films ive ever seen.
Dark Water another cool ghost story.
Battle Royale is crazy shocking and violent.
Ichi The Killer is the most sadistic films I have ever seen.

Anyone else seen these?

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
I bought Battle Royale in Hong Kong to save for one of those rainy days. I watched it with some friends and we weren't too impressed. There was a lot of violence and gore, but other than that it was just another crappy movie.

Kenny

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2002
Originally posted by: UglyCassanova
I bought Battle Royale in Hong Kong to save for one of those rainy days. I watched it with some friends and we weren't too impressed. There was a lot of violence and gore, but other than that it was just another crappy movie.

I didn't really like it either, most of the movie was quite boring. I watched half of Battle Royale 2 before turning it off.

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I enjoyed Battle Royale. :) But I can see where a person would be bored, as the premise could be seen as completely stupid. But if you get past that and look at the theme of friendship, its quite shocking and entertaining.

Have not seen Juon 2 and one other one. Again kinda stupid premise, but still damn scary.

Could not get myself to watch Ichi the Killer. Looked too disturbing.

You should definitely see Suicide Circle (Suicide Club), if you want to see another disturbing movie. :)

Might I also reccomend some more "normal" Japanese movies?
All About Lily Chou Chou
Ping Pong

I like watching foreign films, defintely quite different from American Hollywood movies. Usual has a theme/message to them, but not so overboard as those snobby, elitist, intellectual, coffee-drinker, independent movies tjat are trying so hard to be anti-hollywood.

Redviffer

Oct 30, 2002
I just finished watching something called Samurai Fiction, but it's not crazy like the ones posted, it's just a pretty good Samurai story.

dc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
i wanna watch uzumaki sometime.
i have wild zero on cd somewhere, gotta watch that too sometime. lol at guitar wolf and zombies.

edit: oh yeah, and i didn't care for BR1 or 2.
azumi was ok to watch because aya ueto is so cute, heh, besides that the movie was a silly mindless ninja/assassin flick.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Gr1mL0cK
I enjoyed Battle Royale. :) But I can see where a person would be bored, as the premise could be seen as completely stupid. But if you get past that and look at the theme of friendship, its quite shocking and entertaining.

Have not seen Juon 2 and one other one. Again kinda stupid premise, but still damn scary.

Could not get myself to watch Ichi the Killer. Looked too disturbing.

You should definitely see Suicide Circle (Suicide Club), if you want to see another disturbing movie. :)

Might I also reccomend some more "normal" Japanese movies?
All About Lily Chou Chou
Ping Pong

I like watching foreign films, defintely quite different from American Hollywood movies. Usual has a theme/message to them, but not so overboard as those snobby, elitist, intellectual, coffee-drinker, independent movies tjat are trying so hard to be anti-hollywood.

Nah, I got the whole "friendship" theme and everything. The movie is still a waste of time.

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
suicide club was nuts. i took a pic of the station that the kids jumped from while i was in japan. heh. heh.