Japan Resuming Whaling In Defiance of International Law

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
People shouldnt eat whales because of the concentrations of heavy metals.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
The Japanese have no concept of 'enlightened self interest.' The ONLY way to get them to stop whaling is to force them.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
How does the horror of human slavery make whaling acceptable?

Agreed, there is definitely human tragedy in the seafood industry (NYT did some great special reporting on it not too long ago) but what does that have to do with the topic?

This is an ongoing pr black eye for Japan, lends them less credibility when they want to discuss international issues, and from what I hear the whale meat doesn't even taste all that good. Tradition is the reason that I've heard given for whaling still being around (oh and research).

Nov 8, 2012
Minke whale conservation status: Least Concern

Zero fucks given.

That was going to be my first question... is this an endangered species by any means? Otherwise, why the fuck do we care? Why is the UN trying to police the world on what you should or should not hunt?

People in china eat dogs like it's chicken here in the states. I'm not saying I would go for it, I'm simply saying different cultures eat different things. It's like telling us we are no longer allowed to eat chicken. That's absurd.

That said, I still have no idea on the history of these whales, etc - so my opinion is based on a presumption that this isn't a species about to go extinct. Then it's obviously a different ball-game.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
People shouldnt eat whales because of the concentrations of heavy metals.

Why not? There's probably no one who will ever eat it often enough for heavy metal toxicity to be an issue; I've had whale along with puffin and reindeer pate. As others pointed out the species involved aren't endangered, you ought to try it sometime, I can recommend the place below from personal experience:
http://islenskibarinn.is/net/matur/

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Why not? There's probably no one who will ever eat it often enough for heavy metal toxicity to be an issue; I've had whale along with puffin and reindeer pate. As others pointed out the species involved aren't endangered, you ought to try it sometime, I can recommend the place below from personal experience:
http://islenskibarinn.is/net/matur/

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.....

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
That said, I still have no idea on the history of these whales, etc - so my opinion is based on a presumption that this isn't a species about to go extinct. Then it's obviously a different ball-game.

IIRC, some of the species they were "researching" in the past were endangered, which was a big part of the argument against them. Now the biggest argument is that it's against international law. And the fact that there's zero reason for it (as there's basically no market for it). The only logical reason is that they're just doing it to give the world the middle finger.

Nov 8, 2012
IIRC, some of the species they were "researching" in the past were endangered, which was a big part of the argument against them. Now the biggest argument is that it's against international law. And the fact that there's zero reason for it (as there's basically no market for it). The only logical reason is that they're just doing it to give the world the middle finger.

Who says theres no market for it? Oh yeah, you, living no where fucking close to other countries and assuming they don't eat it.

If they killed these whales and brought them back all to be paid nothing, why would they waste their time, energy, fuel, and money to do?

(Hint: It's because there is a market for it, smart one).

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
i'm kind of surprised japan hasn't made a robot whale. one that evades, maybe even hunts pursuing vessels. sounds like it could be fun :awe:

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Who says theres no market for it? Oh yeah, you, living no where fucking close to other countries and assuming they don't eat it.

If they killed these whales and brought them back all to be paid nothing, why would they waste their time, energy, fuel, and money to do?

(Hint: It's because there is a market for it, smart one).

Seems like there really isn't much of a market for whale meat and the Japanese government had been subsidizing the whaling industry up to $23 million a year, those subsidies end next year.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/j...ling-industry-as-meat-sales-decline-1.2588526

The amount of whale meat stockpiled for lack of buyers has nearly doubled over 10 years, even as anti-whaling protests helped drive catches to record lows. More than 2,300 minke whales worth of meat is sitting in freezers while whalers still plan to catch another 1,300 whales per year.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...-of-japans-whale-eating-culture/#.Vl8cfnarSWg

' “Even though prices are falling, whale meat sales remain weak, as people consume less than 30 grams on average,” she said. '

Whale bacon?

'Once a cheaper substitute for beef, it's now about the same price. Whale bacon is sold as a delicacy, priced about $90 per pound, several times the cost of regular bacon.'

I find it interesting that culling over 300 minke whales is scientific research? are they using Nanking style research methods? I'm not against people eating whale if they really want to, other than Norway/Iceland and Japan is it really eaten anywhere else?

Last edited: