Japan makes it illegal to be too wide

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
We need to bring back shame-based behavioral modification. We can use this as inspiration!

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
Stupid BS, if you ask me.

It's not the government's place to be mandating people have a certain weight, just like it's not their place to determine if they can't smoke or take alcohol for that matter.

Never knew Japan was such an authoritarian nation.

Apr 27, 2012
They need to get rid of government healthcare, so people will have to be more responsible for their own health

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009

It's not the government's place to be mandating people have a certain weight, just like it's not their place to determine if they can't smoke or take alcohol for that matter.

Pretty much. If their government feels it has the right to regulate weight in the interest of the public's own good then it opens the door for them to regulate other avenues of behavior that can be deemed "risk prone" by those operating with "good intentions" amongst their governmental ranks.

Last edited:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

And this is the obvious problem with state run health care. If people expect me to provide them with free health care, then I have an obvious interest in making sure that cost is as low as possible.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
They need to get rid of government healthcare, so people will have to be more responsible for their own health

This. If you're on the government healthcare or are subsidized, you need to play by the rules. If not have fun paying more by yourself for your HI because you don't have a healthy lifestyle and are therefore more of a risk.

Or just be healthy?

Apr 27, 2012
This. If you're on the government healthcare or are subsidized, you need to play by the rules. If not have fun paying more by yourself for your HI because you don't have a healthy lifestyle and are therefore more of a risk.

Or just be healthy?

People must realize someone else is paying for this with their taxes so their has to be limits. It would be a much better system with no government healthcare you'd be surprised at the amount of people who all of a sudden start becoming healthier because they know they have to pay for it themselves

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
And this is the obvious problem with state run health care. If people expect me to provide them with free health care, then I have an obvious interest in making sure that cost is as low as possible.

In which case they can simply deny service to anyone above a certain weight/size if they want to take advantage of "government healthcare/free healthcare". Making it illegal is completely unnecessary. BTW, it's not free: the money to run government programs is funded by taxpayers.

Of course, if they do this for overweight people, this opens up another issue and for the "protection" of citizens they'd also need to deny healthcare to people that smoke, drink alcohol, take drugs, and whatever else they deem "unsafe".

It's just stupid BS. The government is there to protect peoples' rights, not to take them away. Who's the government to say that it's illegal for x person to eat cheeseburgers, to drink beer or rum, or to smoke cigarettes? Reeks of authoritarianism, and it's flat-out wrong.

Last edited:

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
People must realize someone else is paying for this with their taxes so their has to be limits. It would be a much better system with no government healthcare you'd be surprised at the amount of people who all of a sudden start becoming healthier because they know they have to pay for it themselves

Yet the United States has the second highest percentage of overweight people in the world. Go figure. :rolleyes:

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
Why not? They determine what narcotics are legal or not.

Yeah, but that BS. It's not for them to be determining what people can and can't consume as long as they're adults that have the ability to consent.

Government shouldn't determine whether I can drink beer or smoke or not. Or eat a cheeseburger, for that matter.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Yeah, but that BS. It's not for them to be determining what people can and can't consume as long as they're adults that have the ability to consent.

Government shouldn't determine whether I can drink beer or smoke or not. Or eat a cheeseburger, for that matter.

Should they decide if you can legally buy some smack?

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
Should they decide if you can legally buy some smack?

No if they're legal, consenting adults.

What's your point, anyway? That you should have the ability to deny what others can do even though they're consenting to it and it doesn't physically harm anyone else?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
No if they're legal, consenting adults.

What's your point, anyway? That you should have the ability to deny what others can do even though they're consenting to it and it doesn't physically harm anyone else?

No I'm saying that the gov has the ability, and exercises that ability, to say what substances you can and cannot imbibe.

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
No I'm saying that the gov has the ability, and exercises that ability, to say what substances you can and cannot imbibe.

Thanks for stating the obvious, genius.

That doesn't mean it's right nor that they should have that ability.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Thanks for stating the obvious, genius.

That doesn't mean it's right nor that they should have that ability.

Look you said it's not their place to say if you could smoke or drink, it quite obviously is. The fact you don't like that doesn't change it.

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
Look you said it's not their place to say if you could smoke or drink, it quite obviously is. The fact you don't like that doesn't change it.

And it isn't their place; it's not right. Just because they CAN do it doesn't mean it's their place to do it.