Jane Jensen has a new studio + projects

-Slacker-

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2010
we're going to need a kickstarter tag that I can just autoignore.

Yeah, shame on all these people trying to get into the indie market and pester us with original IPs with original gameplay, we should only look up to behemoth corporations like EA and Activision and to games like "call of battlefield: same game as last year for full price - master gold platinum edition", 'cause, you know, THAT is exactly what will drive gaming forward.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Yeah, shame on all these people trying to get into the indie market and pester us with original IPs with original gameplay, we should only look up to behemoth corporations like EA and Activision and to games like "call of battlefield: same game as last year for full price - master gold platinum edition", 'cause, you know, THAT is exactly what will drive gaming forward.

Yea, because every independent game is original and not shit at all. Right on.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Interesting video - reminds me of Blair Witch Project. Old school adventures FTW!

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
who is jane jensen?

Her love of both computers and creative writing eventually led her to the computer gaming industry and Sierra Online where she worked as a writer on Police Quest III: The Kindred and EcoQuest: The Search for Cetus. After co-designing King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow with veteran game designer Roberta Williams, Jensen designed her first solo game: Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, which was released in 1993. The dark, supernatural mystery was a departure for Sierra but the game was enthusiastically received, with the strength of Jensen's writing, along with the game's horror and gothic sensibilities coming in for particular praise from the gaming press[2] and earning the title Computer Gaming World's "Adventure Game of the Year" title.[3]

Jensen followed up Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers with two sequels: The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery in 1995 and Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned in 1999. Somewhat unusually for an adventure game series, each Gabriel Knight title was produced in an entirely different format to the others. Whereas the original was a traditional 2D animated game, the sequels were realised through full motion video and a custom built 3D engine, respectively. Despite further acclaim for Jensen's design in both cases (The Beast Within was Computer Gaming World's "Game of the Year"[3]), the large expenses associated with making the sequels, coupled with the declining marketability of adventure games (especially within Sierra) meant that a fourth in the series was not commissioned.[4]

In 1996, Jensen published a novelization of the first Gabriel Knight game. A second Gabriel Knight novelization followed in 1998. In 1999, Jensen published her first non-adapted novel, Millennium Rising (later retitled Judgment Day). Her fourth book, Dante's Equation was published in 2003. Dante's Equation was nominated for the Philip K. Dick Award.

Jensen has been involved in designing casual online games at Oberon Media, of which she is a co-founder. Her work in the Hidden Object/light adventure category can partially be credited with moving casual games in the direction of full adventure games in puzzle and story sophistication. Some of her more notable recent hits include Deadtime Stories (2009) and Dying for Daylight (2010).

Jensen's most recent full adventure game was called Gray Matter, which was developed by Wizarbox and published by dtp entertainment in 2010.[5] On April 2, 2008 the game, originally intended to be developed by Hungarian software house Tonuzaba, switched to another developer, French company Wizarbox: as a result, the tentative release was changed and shifted to 2010.

Jensen is currently working for Zynga. She is also a story consultant on Phoenix Online Studios' adventure game Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller.[6]

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I'll put some money in. I loves me a good adventure game.

I never backed the Double Fine adventure game, because although I respect Tim Schafer - and although I like adventure games - Schafer doesn't really make my preferred "flavor" of adventure (and he raised plenty enough money anyway). This, on the other hand, looks to be right up my alley.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Sheesh, I read the title as Jenna Jameson has a new studio project. Not even close!

georgec84

May 9, 2011
Getting close to the goal. I hope we can reach out to some new people.

banner150x150.jpg

mobiusbannerb.jpg

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
I hate adventure games, but it is really cool to see that people who love this type of game can support a project like this and get the game made. It seems like Kickstarter is great for the marginalized gamers. I bet alot of those games we thought would never get made will get made b/c of Kickstarter.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
They recently hit the goal, great news! hopefully even more people continue to donate!

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Torn between $51 and $101 donations - but wish they had an example of what the t-shirt is going to look like

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
what is wrong with you?

I can understand his viewpoint though. It feels like Kickstarter has become the new fad and is being used as a form of free viral marketing. There's nothing wrong with that, but then you see project after project getting posted to forums and it feels like advertising more than it does a discussion.

It feels like every new "indie" game announcement is starting as a kickstarter project.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Maybe there should just be a kickstarter thread so all these go in a single thread that people can ignore if they're not interested.