Jane Austen MMO ..... lol

Canbacon

Dec 24, 2007
Might actually be interesting, the era that is.

I'm looking forward to the leaches for the doctor ability :p

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
would be cool as a murder mystery thing lol, like you have 30-45 min to walk around town and talk to real peops and figure out who the murderer is based on clues and behavior

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Jane Austen writes good shit.

The A&E Pride and Prejudice mini series was amazing.

A well written MMO/Story in this era would be beautiful.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I'd give it a try. It'd be nice to play an MMO with a unique universe, rather than another generic sci-fi setting, or another generic high-fantasy setting.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm impressed--mainly that it seems very different from all the other reskinned fluff out there.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Possibly better than yet another Tolkien/D&D/WoW-inspired MMO.

Casual, period MMOs seem like a potential growth area for game developers in the future.

Mar 11, 2004
Possibly better than yet another Tolkien/D&D/WoW-inspired MMO.

Casual, period MMOs seem like a potential growth area for game developers in the future.

Yeah, I actually think something like this could prove really interesting. It wouldn't even have to be a game that has real action, it could just be one setup to help people understand/interact with a fictional world.

I've actually wondered why some game companies haven't just made movies using game engines. Take single player in the Halo/CoD/BF/etc games, where the gameplay seems like its getting more and more just based around big set pieces moving the story. Strip the gameplay out entirely and focus on the wow factor (graphics, this would let them push the visuals even more as then they don't have to worry about gameplay). Let the player have control over the camera so that you could literally view scenes from different viewpoints, zoom in/out and just experience it differently that way. Then put all the gameplay effort into the multiplayer (maybe work on good AI for bots so that you could have big battles without having to be on a full server or if you just want to play local multiplayer or even single player but still get the grandiose battle feel).

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
I downloaded the demo and I can't get passed the part where i enter my name

Sir "Ballen Hard" can't seem to find his way around!

EDIT: seems to be buggy as all hell, and Unity engine uggggh

Last edited:

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Pledge $10,000 or more

Same rewards as $5000 with a title of Earl, a small town named after your estate plus a hand knit shawl of Regency period design knit by one of the developers.

Limited (9 of 10 remaining)

Estimated delivery: Jan 2016

D: damn some rich kid really wants to be kingpin already. This game aint comin out anytime soon, but a cool concept nonetheless.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
while im not particularly interested in a empire setting romance simulator, the principle is valid enough.

instead of umpteen thousand modern shooters or near future shooters with the same sniper/assault/sub/shotgun/rpg weapon choices, exploring radically different settings and game systems is probably where crowdsourcing is taking us.

while this particular game is a little too aspirational in terms of its romance objective, you could easily transpose it into a modern corporate setting.

-make all the players CEO or executives in business
-invest resource point or money into R&D/PR/espionage/production/takeover and acquisition
-fight with other businesses by staging price wars/leak scandal info to news/steal tech/patent injunctions/make big announcement at tradeshow
-form guild into monopoly or corporation

the point being if you remove the tactical combat aspect from any gameplay(no bullets) how do you give players the abilty to act. removing wasd, jumping, and aim as the critical function to determine outcome means you get some really different gameplay. the slower pace means you can approach the game more casually and take longer term strategies, and the less demanding graphics means you can do it from your mobile devices. farming and managing information becomes the relevant skills that determine victory.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
I couldn't stop laughing during the whole video. Ya'll are crazy.

Why Constable TallBill, I do declare that you have offended my honour by your outrageous testimony!

You shall revoke your invitation to the ball and write a formal public letter of apology!

Should you choose to disregard our most gracious of solutions, you will soon find your membership to the Royal Arts of Art from the Art Gallery of Arthington in Wales-England, New Hampshire......REVOKED!

*smirks at you*

*spins around and skips down the boulevard*

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
would be cool as a murder mystery thing lol, like you have 30-45 min to walk around town and talk to real peops and figure out who the murderer is based on clues and behavior

Wasn't there a MMO in the works awhile back where every time you killed a player it left clues behind that bounty hunter/law enforcement players could follow to track you down? I think it was set in Salem in the 1800s or something.