jade empire: anyone played it?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
jade empire looks pretty cool, and i have a hunkering for beating the crap outta stuff. what are everyone's thoughts on this game (and is it worth $40?)

thanks

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
same here. game looks awesome.

is it pretty much like kotor or is it its own game? the whole ancient chinese and martial arts theme has me really interested.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: ohmide
I played it for the 360, pretty fun game, much like KOTOR

hmm...i might not want it then. KOTOR got extremely boring after a little while.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I've played it for Xbox and fvcking loved it. I may pick it up for PC myself. Fighting is good, characters are good, weapons are good, whole fvcking game is good.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: ohmide
I played it for the 360, pretty fun game, much like KOTOR

hmm...i might not want it then. KOTOR got extremely boring after a little while.

I think it's more action-oriented than KOTOR. Less details about buying weapons and equipping yourself and whatnot. While I like KOTOR and think it's great, IMO Jade Empire is quite a bit more fun.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: clamum
I've played it for Xbox and fvcking loved it. I may pick it up for PC myself. Fighting is good, characters are good, weapons are good, whole fvcking game is good.

how long did it take you to go through it? do you think its worth $40, and how much replay value does it have?

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
Played it for xbox and thought it was a great RPG. Simplistic combat but still awesome and a lot of character and plot development. Even sidestories.

Kromis

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Oh man...I can play KOTOR over and over again and not be bored! (Well...to a certain extent)

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
STEAM special, $35, no SecuROM like Direct2Drive or the retail versions (although you do have to deal with STEAM).

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
I really enjoyed the xbox version. Combat is real-time (at least it was on the XB)

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
After reading some reviews, it seems more like an action-adventure game much like Dreamfall or Fable - great story and characters with extremely simplistic and easy gameplay.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
No, but there is a girl named Jade at the local Empire strip club.
I'd really like to play her.

(Also, I have not played the game in question.)

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: shortylickens

thanks for your contribution:beer:

Kromis

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Originally posted by: shortylickens

Oh man, that is SO nice!

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
Originally posted by: clamum

how long did it take you to go through it? do you think its worth $40, and how much replay value does it have?

I never finished it, though I was close I think. I played it for quite a while, at least a month or even two maybe, but that wasn't an everyday thing obviously. If you do side quests and get involved in the game rather than running through it I think you'd enjoy it. There's quite a bit of dialogue in the game which allows you to understand the story more and also serves as a way to guide your character to "open palm" or "closed fist" fighting styles, basically good vs. evil. You also gain other party members and can play as them which mixes things up a bit.

Taking into account all the dialogue choices and fighting styles, you can probably play through it differently a few times. It's a pretty solid game but as others have mentioned (as well as in reviews, see this one), the fighting system isn't real complex. Not necessarily a bad thing if you don't mind that. There's different moves to use on different characters depending on their immunities and IIRC there's also combo moves that you have to execute correctly and they do quite a bit of damage.

I'd say read that review and decide... eh, for $40 I'd say it's worth it.

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Dethfrumbelo
After reading some reviews, it seems more like an action-adventure game much like Dreamfall or Fable - great story and characters with extremely simplistic and easy gameplay.

Whoa... Dreamfall and Fable are like opposite ends of the spectrum. Fable has real fighting and open storyline. Dreamfall is telling a story in a game with almost no fighting. Jade Empire lies somewhere in between. It's really beautifully done and has a plotline with side quests, but the combat is like a dumbed down Ninja Gaiden.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
well, i ordered it last night on steam and its pre-loading. it was about 60% done this morning so I left my PC on while i went to work so it could finish.

CalvinHobbes

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2004
well, i ordered it last night on steam and its pre-loading. it was about 60% done this morning so I left my PC on while i went to work so it could finish.

Is it released already or just for pre-load from Steam? If it's release, please give us some feedback and your PC specs so I know if it will run on my system.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: CalvinHobbes

Is it released already or just for pre-load from Steam? If it's release, please give us some feedback and your PC specs so I know if it will run on my system.

supposed to release today on steam. I started pre-load last night. Won't get to play until after 5:30PM EST today.

athlon 64 3700+
2gb ram
Gforce 7800GT