jackstands vs ramps

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imported_hscorpio

Golden Member
Sep 1, 2004
Originally posted by: giantpinkbunnyhead
Speaking of jackstands... I'm reminded of a story. In August I helped a not-too-bright-about-cars female friend drive her Toyota from Chicago to Anchorage. I told her beforehand to be SURE she had a jack in case we needed to change a tire. She went out and bought one. Then... in the middle of nowhere, on the Alaska Hwy, we get a flat. I ask her to get the jack, and she proudly hands me.... a boxed jackstand. "You mean this won't jack the car up? Um...." Yeah.

:laugh:
thats classic

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: giantpinkbunnyhead
I say it would depend on the situation... lay of the land, what it is you need to accomplish, etc... no universal answer, really... except BE CAREFUL! Just last week a local guy was killed when his car fell off the jack and squished him. The idiot was using only the scissor-jack to hold the car up. My brother had a different method for jacking cars up... he made use of the terrain itself. He oil-changed Miatas by running the passenger side (or drivers side? it's been too long) of the car up along a curb at the end of his driveway. Also helped tip that last bit of oil out and the curb was high enough to get even his big frame underneath to work.

Speaking of jackstands... I'm reminded of a story. In August I helped a not-too-bright-about-cars female friend drive her Toyota from Chicago to Anchorage. I told her beforehand to be SURE she had a jack in case we needed to change a tire. She went out and bought one. Then... in the middle of nowhere, on the Alaska Hwy, we get a flat. I ask her to get the jack, and she proudly hands me.... a boxed jackstand. "You mean this won't jack the car up? Um...." Yeah.

ROFL

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: SonnyDaze
Originally posted by: cavemanmoron
to be safe, use the jackstands, even with ramps.

No, you don't use jackstands with ramps. It is recommended to use jackstands with a floorjack. Ramps should be used alone, but block the wheels (in either case).

not sure how u use jackstands with ramps anyways, i have both. the ends of the ramps are in the way so u can't stick it anywhere in that area. i leave one near the front middle jack point for backup safety though.

as for slipping off, thats why u use wheel chocks on the rear wheels.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: SonnyDaze
Originally posted by: cavemanmoron
to be safe, use the jackstands, even with ramps.

No, you don't use jackstands with ramps. It is recommended to use jackstands with a floorjack. Ramps should be used alone, but block the wheels (in either case).

Maybe You don't,
I often use both, I many time will jack the car up, put ramps under the tires,
and jackstands under the frame/suspension.

I have had vehicles Move, while working on them.

A 3 foot floor jack handle use as a handle extension, on a 1/2 inch drive ratchet will
create a Lot of leverage.

It also depends on what your doing under the car,
here is a photo, it shows 4 jackstands, and Ramps under the rear tires.

I was replacing the spring mounts, and had to cut the Ubolts. I also was using 2 floor jacks, besides the sttands ramps. A lift would have helped some.

http://fox302.com/index.pl?s=vf&user=ca...e=imperialspringbrackets002Medium2.jpg