Jacksonville School forced to change name

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
A Jacksonville school has been forced to change it's name by the PC police. Nathan B Forrest High school, named after a war veteran, has been attacked by liberal judges and progressives and their white guilt. This is also a liberal attack on our veterans' honor.

CNN) -- Fifty-four years after the Duval County, Florida, school board ignored the wishes of students and named a Jacksonville high school for a controversial Confederate general, the school will be getting a new name.
The school board voted 7-0 Monday to change the name of Nathan B. Forrest High School after the current school year ends. Officials will choose between the names Westside and Firestone in January.
When it was opened in 1959, in the aftermath of the Supreme Court decision that required racially integrated public schools, district officials chose to name the school after Forrest -- a former slave trader and Confederate commander whose troops were involved in the massacre of black Union soldiers at a Tennessee fort.
He later served as the first "Grand Wizard" of the Ku Klux Klan.
"For too long and too many, this name has represented the opposite of unity, respect, and equality -- all that we expect in Duval schools," board member Constance Hall said in a statement from the district.
The name-change was spearheaded by parent Ty Richmond, whose Change.org petition amassed 162,150 signatures.
"I'm very encouraged. Jacksonville is too much of a beautiful city to have that ugly blemish," Richmond told CNN affiliate WAWS.
"I don't want my daughter, or any student, going to a school named under those circumstances," he said in his petition. "This is a bad look for Florida -- with so much racial division in our state, renaming Forrest High would be a step toward healing."
At the time it was named, the segregated school had an all-white student body. It is now 62% black, 23% white and 9% Hispanic, according to the district.
Still, the decision to strip the name was not universally popular. More than half of the faculty opposed the change, as did 36% of students, the district said.
A Missouri KKK leader also protested the change, saying those who want the name changed are ignoring "the true historical facts surrounding this valiant man of honor."
Bedford fans have noted the commander's widespread reputation as a military genius, and have long said he was misunderstood. They say he disbanded the first version of the Ku Klux Klan after it grew violent and argue that he made efforts to reconcile with blacks in his later years.
He is the subject of numerous monuments and other efforts to preserve his memory across the South.
A monument honoring Forrest has been the subject of long-running controversy in Selma, Alabama, a focal point of the civil rights movement. The monument was located in a city building for a while but moved to a city-owned cemetery following protests.
In 2012, someone stole Forrest's bust from atop the monument. Efforts to refurbish the monument have resulted in disputes.
In 2011, a Mississippi proposal to create a license plate honoring Forrest brought opposition by civil rights groups and never saw the light of day.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/state/...med-for-confederate-general-to-get-a-new-name

Do you think they should have been forced to change their name?

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Forced-not seen. The school board decided to rename this building, and for very good reasons.

FL is no longer back in the Jim Crow segregationist days of the late 1950s when this name was selected (against the wishes of a majority of the students even back then) as a protest against the federal government actually enforcing the law of the land.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
School board chooses to no longer name its school after the leader of a violent organization dedicated to racial supremacy.

Why is that decision at all controversial. That's basic common sense.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Nov 30, 2006
Four schools in the Houston Independent School District (HISD) may be forced to change their names as well.

Indians, Warriors, Redskins, and Rebel have been deemed to be offensive.

http://www.chron.com/news/education...tively-approves-new-mascot-policy-5059870.php
I fail to see how these names are considered offensive...these schools are proud of their names and obviously aren't using them as derogatory slurs. I imagine that makes me an insensitive lout despite my fractional Indian heritage. But hey...I've been called worse. The PC crowd never ceases to amaze me.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I think all sports teams should be named after racial slurs. The Knicks should change their name to the New York Hooknoses.

Warrior is a racial slur?:rolleyes:

Indian is a racial slur?:rolleyes:

Rebel(I assume against white people as confederates were often called rebels) is a racial slur?:rolleyes:

beloved patriot is a racial slur? Well this one you might be right on, because the people who oppose the washington redskins keep saying that. But other than that I don't think anyone one know it was one.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
I think all sports teams should be named after racial slurs. The Knicks should change their name to the New York Hooknoses.

There were several comments to the article that was similar to your reply.

According to the logic expressed in HISD, the following should be banned:
Giants as they offend the vertically-challenged
Vikings because they were mean
Trojans because kids will think of c o n d o m s
Eagles, Hawks, Cougars, Bears, Wolves, Coyotes, Panthers, Tigers, etc because PETA is offended with meat-eaters
Browns because, well, someone will find it a reference to minorities
Padres because it's "obviously" a slur toward Hispanics
Spurs because PETA says using them is cruel
Bulldogs because they bite people and PETA says it's cruel to have a dog with a smushed snout
Celtics and Irish because it's obviously Xenophobic (like someone would name their team The Fighting Mexicans)

Where does this insanity end? Texas is an Indian word so I guess we need to change the name of our state, and the 26 others with Indian names. Then there's all those cities, counties, lakes, and rivers.

Alabama - Thicket Clearers
Alaska - Great Land
Arizona - Silver Slabs
Arkansas - Down Stream People
Connecticut - Upon The Long River
Dakota - Related People
Idaho - Sunrise, It Is Morning
Illinois - Men Or Great Men
Indiana - Land Of The Indians
Iowa - Drowsy People
Kansas - People Of The South Wind
Kentucky - Hunting Ground
Massachusetts - Great Hill
Michigan - Great Water
Minnesota - Sky Tinted Water
Mississippi - Father Of Water
Missouri - Long Canoe People
Nebraska - Flat Water
New Mexico - Aztec God Mexitili
Ohio - Beautiful Valley
Oklahoma - Land Of The Red Man
Oregon - Beautiful Water
Tennessee - From Chief Tannassie
Texas - Tejas Or Allies
Utah Those - Who Dwell High Up
Wisconsin - Where Waters Gather
Wyoming - Great Plain

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I fail to see how these names are considered offensive...these schools are proud of their names and obviously aren't using them as derogatory slurs. I imagine that makes me an insensitive lout despite my fractional Indian heritage. But hey...I've been called worse. The PC crowd never ceases to amaze me.

Indians, Warriors, and Rebels should be fine. Redskins would be the equivalent of calling it the "Darkies" or the "Coloreds".

As far as the actual thread topic goes, I can't see why anyone would support keeping a school named after a KKK Grand Wizard... Well maybe in Mississippi.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
There were several comments to the article that was similar to your reply.

None of that makes the slightest bit of sense. Texas is not a racial slur. Eagles are not racial slurs, etc.

People are used to sports teams being named after anti Indian slurs so they think it is ok. Shockingly enough people don't want to name new teams after slurs.

Back on topic, naming schools after violent racists is also probably a bad idea.

Nov 30, 2006
Warrior is a racial slur?:rolleyes:

Indian is a racial slur?:rolleyes:

Rebel(I assume against white people as confederates were often called rebels) is a racial slur?:rolleyes:

beloved patriot is a racial slur? Well this one you might be right on, because the people who oppose the washington redskins keep saying that. But other than that I don't think anyone one know it was one.
Hmmm...I'm starting to think the handle "eskimospy" is an insensitive slur against eskimos. Hell...it even looks like the term "eskimo" is considered a perjorative! Shame on him!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo

Nov 30, 2006
Indians, Warriors, and Rebels should be fine. Redskins would be the equivalent of calling it the "Darkies" or the "Coloreds".

As far as the actual thread topic goes, I can't see why anyone would support keeping a school named after a KKK Grand Wizard... Well maybe in Mississippi.
I don't believe the use the word Redskins is considered that way by a vast majority of people. There was a poll regarding this a few years back and about 90% of all native Americans were not offended by the term.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I will not question the right to name their school whatever they wish.

Nor do I find their reasoning entirely absurd.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Hmmm...I'm starting to think the handle "eskimospy" is an insensitive slur against eskimos. Hell...it even looks like the term "eskimo" is considered a perjorative! Shame on him!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo

My name is actually a mystery science theater 3000 reference.

That's interesting that some tribes consider it a pejorative term though, I wasn't aware of that! Needless to say if that's the case I would totally be open to changing my name.

Regardless, the fault here is not that the teams were originally named such, it is that people are defending it despite knowing it is a racial slur. That's disgusting.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Fifty-four years after the Duval County, Florida, school board ignored the wishes of students and named a Jacksonville high school for a controversial Confederate general, the school will be getting a new name.

Since the students didn't want it 45 years ago before people used the term PC there is no PC or force.

In fact the named Jacksonville was "forced" on people 45 years ago.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
A guy from my ship lives in Memphis and he was similarly baffled and outraged that the city was renaming a park that was named after Forrest. Apparently he couldn't comprehend why a majority black city didn't want to have parks honoring white supremacists in it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Only on ATPN is "hey, how about we stop naming schools after violent racists" a controversial topic.

Maybe on stormfront too, but I haven't checked recently.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
As bigotry is defeated in war the conservative brain in order to feel no pain adopts terms like rebel to smear ego pride over their pain, but as time goes on and the original bigotry become more and more clear to successive generations, as the pain subsides and their brains mend, they begin to become more anti-rebel rebels. This always causes some tension between the more and the less evolved growing number of liberals, as the natural state of the brain to reason properly becomes more established in that area. We have always to deal with the conservative retrograde among us but as we can see, some progress is being made.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I don't believe the use the word Redskins is considered that way by a vast majority of people. There was a poll regarding this a few years back and about 90% of all native Americans were not offended by the term.

If only butt-hurt liberals know something is a racial slur, is it a racial slur? :confused:

cyclohexane

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2005
Dude, this guy was a KKK grand wizard. Shouldn't name a school after him.
End of discussion, bullshit outrage.

Nov 30, 2006
My name is actually a mystery science theater 3000 reference.

That's interesting that some tribes consider it a pejorative term though, I wasn't aware of that! Needless to say if that's the case I would totally be open to changing my name.

Regardless, the fault here is not that the teams were originally named such, it is that people are defending it despite knowing it is a racial slur. That's disgusting.
And 90% of native Americans don't consider it a racial slur either...is that disgusting as well? Perhaps you should save some of that outrage for those who insult eskimos despite knowing it's a slur. Need help picking out a new non-offensive username?

Feb 6, 2007
Is this topic meant as tongue-in-cheek? The school board unanimously voted to change it, and it doesn't seem like there's a lot of outrage from the community, so I don't see the problem (the article only mentions that more than half the faculty is against the change; the students are in favor).

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
And 90% of native Americans don't consider it a racial slur either...is that disgusting as well? Perhaps you should save some of that outrage for those who insult eskimos despite knowing it's a slur. Need help picking out a new non-offensive username?

Who insults eskimos despite knowing it's a slur? If people are doing that that's definitely disgusting behavior as well. The name beloved patriot is indisputably a slur and some American Indians are offended by it. Considering what you name your sports franchise is totally arbitrary, there is no rational reason to continue doing so.

By all means though, I'm open to new user names! It's not like I actually care what mine is.