Jackson Ripley, 12-Year-Old Coloradan Boy, Writes Letter To Romney...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
We don't know if the kid wrote the letter or not. Do you deny the fact that there might be a kid out there that actually could write something like this.

This kid is in 6th grade, you don't think a middle schooler could have possibly written this?

If he was 6, then I'd agree with you.

I don't deny his parents might have helped him, but I wouldn't say he couldn't have possibly done it on his own.

I don't doubt that a kid could write a letter.

I do doubt that this particular kid:

1. Watches Jay Leno
2. Watches Meet The Press
3. Cares about gay marriage
4. Cares about birth control
5. Cares about the impact of religion on government policy
6. Doesn't know that freedom of religion was a prime reason for the settling of the original colonies

These are all atheist "progressive" gay Democrat talking points.

Only a pathetically deluded fool would believe this 12 year old is not being fed his lines.

Of course the Huff and Puff Post article does have 5K worth of supporting comments, so you are not alone in your delusion.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
What I was saying about SCHIP is that I think they don't qualify for it at all. In that case, why apply for it if you know you don't qualify?

Her dad must have been laid off, because 3 months is a pretty quick turn around to find another job. Also, remember that not every employer subscribes to a good insurance provider.

Before my mom got a job that had Blue Cross, she had another that had Aetna (cheaper plan) and they didnt cover anything for me. I was paying $200 out of pocket for scripts vs the $25 I paid for Blue Cross. It makes a difference.

If he was unemployed, unless they denied her due to pre-existing conditions. I dont see how she wouldnt had qualified.

That said I dont have time to look at the numbers. But SCHIP does extend coverage out to people making into more than 200% of poverty. Meaning after he got this job that supposedly the group coverage wouldnt cover her(I find this hard to believe). If they were denied due to him making too much money should we feel bad somebody making upwards of 400-500% or more of poverty is forced to help pay for his childs healthcare? It isnt like Obamacare will cure that as she will be placed into a high risk group and higher rates applied.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
I don't doubt that a kid could write a letter.

1. Watches Jay Leno
6. Doesn't know that freedom of religion was a prime reason for the settling of the original colonies

Only a pathetically deluded fool would believe this 12 year old is not being fed his lines.

Of course the Huff and Puff Post article does have 5K worth of supporting comments, so you are not alone in your delusion.

Right, Okay. Time for insults, I see.

Because you doubt a 6th grade would be interested in these things, it makes anyone who thinks the opposite a "pathetically deluded fool".

Nov 30, 2006
I understand what you're saying, but this kid is 12, his sister is younger than him. There's a difference between him being over 18 saying he hates Romney for not allowing his sister insurance.

How do you feel about people with PEC getting insurance? You think we are too dependent, but how would you suggest he and his sister start being independent? As it stands, they are minors and their parents are still responsible for them, her father is working again and trying to provide for the family, they just can't get coverage for that one child.
Romney supports coverage for pre-existing conditions in this situation.

"So let’s say someone has been continuously insured and they develop a serious condition. And let’s say they lose their jobs or they change jobs or they move and go to a different place, I don’t want them to be denied insurance because they have some pre-existing conditions. So we’re going to have to make sure that the law that we replace Obamacare with, ensures that people who have a pre-existing condition, who have been insured in the past, are able to get insurance in the future so they don’t have to worry about that condition keeping them from getting the kind of health care they deserve." - Romney

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
If he was unemployed, unless they denied her due to pre-existing conditions. I dont see how she wouldnt had qualified.

That said I dont have time to look at the numbers. But SCHIP does extend coverage out to people making into more than 200% of poverty. Meaning after he got this job that supposedly the group coverage wouldnt cover her(I find this hard to believe). If they were denied due to him making too much money should we feel bad somebody making upwards of 400-500% or more of poverty is forced to help pay for his childs healthcare? It isnt like Obamacare will cure that as she will be placed into a high risk group and higher rates applied.

"Next to my daughter's name in big black bold letters was the word DENIED. The reason: Dollar amount previously spent, number of hospitalizations within five years and the pre-existing condition, congestive heart failure.

Being denied for that reason is believable. She was obviously deemed "High Risk". I wonder what the dollar amount spent was. Also, congestive heart failure will kill you eventually. My uncle had it for only a year or two before he died. He was in the hospital every week because his body swelled due to liquid build up. He couldn't breathe as his lungs were being squeezed shut. Eventually, they stopped trying to save him and just made him comfortable.

His sister is very high risk.

Romney supports coverage for pre-existing conditions in this situation.

"So let’s say someone has been continuously insured and they develop a serious condition. And let’s say they lose their jobs or they change jobs or they move and go to a different place, I don’t want them to be denied insurance because they have some pre-existing conditions. So we’re going to have to make sure that the law that we replace Obamacare with, ensures that people who have a pre-existing condition, who have been insured in the past, are able to get insurance in the future so they don’t have to worry about that condition keeping them from getting the kind of health care they deserve." - Romney

What did he support the next day? jk...not really.

There are insurance companies that will cover PEC conditions now, its just that its on a case by case basis for some companies. Blue Cross will probably take her, but only after she pays her premium in full or something like that. It also depends on where you are too, I don't know how it is in Colorado...but I was denied by Blue Cross of Virginia for my condition but accepted by Blue Cross of Michigan. *shrug*

Perhaps, the insurance company would have covered her had they not seen how expensive it would be for them. Her condition has worsened in the last 5 after developing ANOTHER condition. Would you take her?

If RomneyCare or ObamaCare gets passed, maybe it will make it better for people who have PEC, but I doubt it wouldn't affect how much more expensive it would be for those people to get that type of coverage.

Last edited:

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
Romney has already stated he is in favor of continuing coverage for pre-existing conditions.

Sorry dude you got caught in a Romflop.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/09/fact-check-mitt-romney-on-obamacare-and-pre-existing-conditions/

But the Romney campaign later confirmed that the GOP candidate had not changed his position on coverage for pre-existing conditions. He does not think insurance companies should have to cover people with pre-existing conditions who have not had continuous health care coverage.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Those parents shouldn't use their kid as a sock puppet and that little girl should get health insurance.
There, everyone happy? or at least equally angry?

kid loves Romneycare.

thinks Romney's vision for America is bad.

:confused:

In his defense, Romney has a hard time deciding if his vision is good or bad for America.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Even before coming here, I figured this will be some shill emotional-appeal talking point drivel. First posted on huffingtonpost.com I'm sure.

I hear Romney's dog wrote a letter also, can never forgive him for being a crate on top of the station wagon.

EDIT: HA, dead on on huffinton post.

Last edited:

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Right, Okay. Time for insults, I see.

Because you doubt a 6th grade would be interested in these things, it makes anyone who thinks the opposite a "pathetically deluded fool".

Based solely on what you post so prolifically, I do think you are a pathetically deluded fool. You are also a rabid partisan that regularly posts disclaimers in the futile hope that your comments would be seen as anything but.

:awe:

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Based solely on what you post so prolifically, I do think you are a pathetically deluded fool. You are also a rabid partisan that regularly posts disclaimers in the futile hope that your comments would be seen as anything but.

:awe:

You don't know me so It doesn't matter what you think.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
You don't know me so It doesn't matter what you think.

LOL, you are absolutely right that I don't know you - I only know your posts.

Hence my opinion!

It does seem very low to use 12 year old kids for political propagandizing. And even lower for posters like you to push that here.

:whiste:

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004

1. Watches Jay Leno

Replace #1 and and #2 with "Listens to Michael Savage" and you had me at 12, debating politics on internet forums. Granted, I was arguing from the opposite side of things back then, but it's not like my dad told me what to think (he always laughed that I would bother debating politics on the internet back then). In fact, he was more libertarian while I was a hardcore right-winger, myself 100% in support of the Patriot Act and bombing the entire Middle East (except wonderful Israel :wub: ), so we disagreed on a bit. I'm sure the kid's parents influenced his political outlook, but everyone is influenced by their parents. I see no reason to doubt that this kid honestly believes what he wrote, and did so on his own.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Replace #1 and and #2 with "Listens to Michael Savage" and you had me at 12, debating politics on internet forums. Granted, I was arguing from the opposite side of things back then, but it's not like my dad told me what to think (he always laughed that I would bother debating politics on the internet back then). In fact, he was more libertarian while I was a hardcore right-winger, myself 100% in support of the Patriot Act and bombing the entire Middle East (except wonderful Israel :wub: ), so we disagreed on a bit. I'm sure the kid's parents influenced his political outlook, but everyone is influenced by their parents. I see no reason to doubt that this kid honestly believes what he wrote, and did so on his own.

You listened to Savage when you were 12? LOL, I tune in on my drive time if I am taking off early and I doubt I spend more than ten minutes at a time listening to Savage or Mark Levin, who is on another local talk station at the same time!

I like Larry Kudlow and John Batchelor, but don't find the rest of the talk radio hosts that interesting. Maybe, if I were 12 now, I might like Rush Limbaugh.

Of course, if I really were 12, I would likely either be playing ball or computer games these days. :cool:

I expect the kid will be asked to appear on one of the MSDNC shows, so they can make their propaganda points. It would be interesting to see how he responds to Maddcow's questions about his gay marriage position.

:D

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Any plan coming from the DNC or RNC is bogus and is going to hurt the majority of Americans.

Any plan coming from a libertarian like Gary Johnson or Ron Paul won't be a "plan" at all. It will treat healthcare as a commodity just like TV's and beer and people's health will be left to the vagaries of the market. There is zero reason to believe that anyone beyond the upper middle to wealthy classes would have steady access to quality healthcare. Everyone else may have emergent care, some over-crowded free clinics, and charity, at most.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
No Republican's plan has a prayer of beating any Democrat's plan at a twelve year old's cognitive level. That said, had she been in Massachusetts under Romneycare she would have been covered. Similar programs (at least in intent) in each state would in my opinion be vastly superior to a one size fits all lobbyist-driven federal takeover.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
No Republican's plan has a prayer of beating any Democrat's plan at a twelve year old's cognitive level. That said, had she been in Massachusetts under Romneycare she would have been covered. Similar programs (at least in intent) in each state would in my opinion be vastly superior to a one size fits all lobbyist-driven federal takeover.

Except many or even most states won't have any plan. That was the whole point of a federal plan, to cover everyone.