Jack Abramoff on 60 Minutes

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I find Jack Abramoff mostly despicable, and have criticized him and his corrupt cronies before repeatedly.

Now he's out of prison and did a confessional interview worth watching with 60 Minutes.

I've mentioned before that reportedly 50% of Congressmen and staffers leave to lobbying positions - which greatly influences them in office.

Abramoff says that was his #1 way to gain influence, offer them employment for multiple times the salary later. After that, 'they'd do what he asked' basically.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7387331n&tag=contentMain;cbsCarousel

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Great interview- thanks.

This.

He seems genuinely remorseful about it, then again that might just be the Conman showing through. Either way, something needs to be done about that corruption.

Nov 30, 2006
"No political appointees in an Obama-Biden administration will be permitted to work on regulations or contracts directly and substantially related to their prior employer for two years. And no political appointee will be able to lobby the executive branch after leaving government service during the remainder of the administration." - Barack Obama

I wished he would have kept this promise.

Last edited:

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
And this is why people are protesting @ #occupy. Our government is actively being sold to the highest bidder.

But people would rather focus on fringe groups that are marching among the #occupy crowd and ignore the real issues at hand.

Dman8777

Mar 28, 2011
And this is why people are protesting @ #occupy. Our government is actively being sold to the highest bidder.

But people would rather focus on fringe groups that are marching among the #occupy crowd and ignore the real issues at hand.

The problem is nothing short of violence will stop it at this point. Abramoff said it himself, the people that have the power to change it benefit too much. They have no interest in changing it.

A federal referendum option would be nice...

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
"No political appointees in an Obama-Biden administration will be permitted to work on regulations or contracts directly and substantially related to their prior employer for two years. And no political appointee will be able to lobby the executive branch after leaving government service during the remainder of the administration." - Barack Obama

one of many lies

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

It was a promise that he knew would not be kept. The sheep bought it, hook, line and shears

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
This.

He seems genuinely remorseful about it, then again that might just be the Conman showing through. Either way, something needs to be done about that corruption.

I thought he seemed pretty smug.

It isn't like we all didn't already know this was going on, although it is interesting to hear someone involved in the fray actually admit to it. Of course, the fact that he stands to profit from this admission makes his story less credible.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

So, uhh, you're complaining that Dems are too much like Repubs?

I'll agree with that, but I think you're just trying to duh-vert.

Lobbying exploded during the Bush presidency & the Repub control of Congress- it might have been because of the "For Sale" signs they put out on the lawn... Hell, Dubya put lobbyists in charge from the start-

http://www.libertylobby.org/articles/2001/20010117lobbyists_invading.html

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Jhhnn, really? He was complaining period, not making any sort of comparison. Jesus fucking christ, does every goddamn thing have to turn into a A vs B argument about who has the most pleasant smelling shit?

finglobes

Dec 13, 2010
It felt nostalgic to see Abramoff's name. I miss the days of basic, garden variety corruption before the Obamacrats radical anti-American insurgency sought to push the whole country over a cliff and foment violence in the streets.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I thought he seemed pretty smug.

It isn't like we all didn't already know this was going on, although it is interesting to hear someone involved in the fray actually admit to it. Of course, the fact that he stands to profit from this admission makes his story less credible.

I think the attack than an author is dishonest because he'll profit by selling a book is overused and often inaccurate. It's often a smear - not always.

The issue needs to be considered case by case. Just saying it without any more information is subject to being a smear, often by those who are actually corrupt.

I was just reading Mark Lane's new book, and he discusses the CIA declassified documents about how to discredit him, written by the agency as instructions for their media plants.

The instructions include a number of tactics, one is to argue that Lane is only out to make money, not to tell the truth.

It's an easy attack - and easy to make wrongly.

Abramoff? We have every reason to be suspicious, to dislike what he did, to not want him to profit from his wrongdoing. But his wanting to make money from a book isn't enough reason to assume he's lying. If he's now serving the right side of this for whatever reason, that can be a good thing. We shouldn't elect him President (well maybe over some of the current Republican candidates), but he can do some good now whatever his reason for doing so.

I agree with his position about the ban on public servants being enticed with moving to lobbying, and there's every reason to assume he's being honest about that issue.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
He is promoting a book because he is broke. I expect a lot of what he is saying is an exaggeration.

Not sure if they tried to but it would have been nice to hear what non-felon members of Congress had to say about this issue.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
He is promoting a book because he is broke. I expect a lot of what he is saying is an exaggeration.

Not sure if they tried to but it would have been nice to hear what non-felon members of Congress had to say about this issue.

It's not like they'll confess. Really.

"Jack Abramoff greased my palm & I loved it! What a Pal!"

"Me Too!"

"Me Three!"

Nov 30, 2006
So, uhh, you're complaining that Dems are too much like Repubs?
No. I'm saying the lobby system is broken and someone needs to fix it...and I don't give a damn which party does it. Obama promised to fix it...but for some reason, his lie doesn't appear to concern you. Instead you want to make this into a retarded 'their shit smells worse' argument. You're such a hack....it's really pathetic.